Frames for sale? Should brands offer it?

Eddy Current

E*POWAH Master
Oct 20, 2019
NORTH Spain
1. I know Specialized sell the all carbon Levo frame, and theres some chinese frames too

Aside that I don’t know more options

Is there anything else avaiable?

2. Why this lack of ebikes frames? Is not a good business for the brands?

Thanks

Al Boneta

Dark Rider
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 18, 2018
California
1. I know Specialized sell the all carbon Levo frame, and theres some chinese frames too

Aside that I don’t know more options

Is there anything else avaiable?

2. Why this lack of ebikes frames? Is not a good business for the brands?

Thanks
Having worked in shops and inside the industry (Specialized), I think it’s simply a matter of “Why bother?”
Specialized sells framesets in almost every family of performance bikes they produce.
But here in the US, we didn’t get the Levo frameset. One of the reasons could be that they can’t make complete bikes fast enough to fill the demand. Another could be the a perceived liability if some garage tinkerer builds the bike up improperly and goes out and gets himself paralyzed.
True story,
18 years ago at my shop we ordered a Marzocchi fork for a customer. He installed the fork on his own bike. He rode the the bike off a huge drop off and the headtube sheared off the bike. He sued my shop, the frame manufacturer and Marzocchi. We had to go to court over this and the lawyers representing us, the frame manufacturer and Marzocchi told us it would be cheaper to settle than to fight the case. So that guy got $30k because he was fucktard.
A few months later he came into the shop to buy his new bike. I had to lock myself in the counting room, because I was going to kill him.
I can only assume when a motor is involved it could make some companies apprehensive about offering a frame only.
Another reason could be that since these bikes are expensive and a Emtb frame costs twice the amount of a normal frame they don’t think the market is quite there yet. I disagree, because I would have bought the S-Works frame instead of the S-Works bike. I have enough parts lying around to build multiple frames and I could have saved a bunch of money and used parts I prefer to the stock build. Maybe Specialized doesn’t like that scenario from a financial standpoint. Maybe they feel like it would cannibalize their complete bike sales.
It is always usually more expensive to build a bike from the frame up, if you don’t have a garage full of spare parts to begin with. When you buy a complete bike, you are getting the parts way below their retail value. When you build up a frameset you are paying full pop for the parts. I am generalizing here, I am not counting Chain Reaction sales or buying closeout parts.
I wish more companies would offer framesets. It doesn’t have to be an S-Works, it could be just an aluminum comp.

YrianX

Patreon
Sep 14, 2019
Norway
I'm a little biased here I guess, seeing as I have the Levo frame on order.

In my opinion anyone with a specific taste in the parts they like to use and who would swap stuff on a new bike anyway, is sure to appreciate a frame kit only. Or for the seasoned bargain hunter or the bike parts hoarding prone for that matter....

I don't know any other well known and trusted brand that offer this in E-bikes though, which I think is a shame. Well done on Specialized for offering it, made my choice easy at least.

Even though the "launch" was very stealthy and under the radar here as well... None of the dealers here knew until I asked and they checked and was very surprised by the answer they received from Specialized, that Yes, indeed there was a frame kit option.

Last edited:

YrianX

Patreon
Sep 14, 2019
Norway
Oh, and I assume they make more on complete bikes as they probably charge a markup on all components Vs. their production / bulk acquisition cost as well, in addition to the liability and warranty issues that might come from improper customer use/build etc. as Al mentioned.

Rusty

E*POWAH BOSS
Jul 17, 2019
New Zealand
If I was going to buy another Levo .... slim chance of that ever, but if I was I would just want a frame and motor. I have never thought Speshy has had any value for money on anything I have seen.

Eddy Current

E*POWAH Master
Oct 20, 2019
NORTH Spain
There’s a few interesting frames out there that I really like it was on sale.

The non integrated battery such the Canyon or Merida, proved to be very nimble and they could came real cheap.

The one from focus Jam2 carbon, for a real lightweight set up. This one more expensive because the carbon and the battery. But I hope cheaper than the Levo frame

@Rob Hancill please talk to them and suggest this new line of business ?

@Al Boneta thanks for your prolix answer ?

wepn

The Barking Owl ?
Jul 18, 2019
AU
I can only assume when a motor is involved it could make some companies apprehensive about offering a frame only.
Another reason could be that since these bikes are expensive and a Emtb frame costs twice the amount of a normal frame they don’t think the market is quite there yet. I disagree, because I would have bought the S-Works frame instead of the S-Works bike.
Yes most likely both to a degree since the S-Works is/was available in Germany. Maybe a small number of frames but in one of the largest markets, probably the largest. Seems like a test either for a more substantial rollout of e-frame sales or, less likely, the test results in no further frame-only sales due to whatever unfavourable outcome.

wepn

The Barking Owl ?
Jul 18, 2019
AU
I'm a little biased here I guess, seeing as I have the Levo frame on order.

In my opinion anyone with a specific taste in the parts they like to use and who would swap stuff on a new bike anyway, is sure to appreciate a frame kit only. Or for the seasoned bargain hunter or the bike parts hoarding prone for that matter....

I don't know any other well known and trusted brand that offer this in E-bikes though, which I think is a shame. Well done on Specialized for offering it, made my choice easy at least.

Even though the "launch" was very stealthy and under the radar here as well... None of the dealers here knew until I asked and they checked and was very surprised by the answer they received from Specialized, that Yes, indeed there was a frame kit option.
Is that a recent offering in Norway? Well that is surely a sign of success of the S-Works frames sales in Germany. All sold no doubt. Now the test for Levo frame-only in Norway.

Frame sales of the lower spec bikes are going to be off the hook.

ifu03558

Mar 11, 2019
Glasgow
Didnt know you could buy frame only until I saw this thread, had a look and the s works levo frame is 6000 euro, not cheap! I think in the next few years more and more framesets will be available. Makes sense as most folk that have been biking for a while already have preferences for certain components and a garage full of parts.

YrianX

Patreon
Sep 14, 2019
Norway
Is that a recent offering in Norway? Well that is surely a sign of success of the S-Works frames sales in Germany. All sold no doubt. Now the test for Levo frame-only in Norway.

Frame sales of the lower spec bikes are going to be off the hook.

I'm not sure about the availability and when it became available where to be honest.

I was planning on buying a '19 Expert carbon on sale back in September and replace a lot of the parts , when I came across a German vid on youtube with a dealer having been to specialized looking at the 2020 range and said one of the new things was a frame only s-works levo.

Went straight to my local dealer and asked about it and plunked down the deposit when I was told that they could indeed get me a frame after checking with Specialized, though was told I would most likely not get it until spring 20

I think it was the same batch / availability as Germany to be honest, and not sure if it has been one already delivered and a new batch coming, or if they have not delivered any of the frame sets yet. Not heard of anyone having got it yet at least.

From what I've heard there will be 64 frame kits, but taking that with a grain of salt as it is only an unsubstantiated rumor.

Still waiting for mine, but not expecting to get it until spring, around March time, next year as snow is here and they probably prioritize deliveries to regions /areas that can use it right away first, which is fine.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles