Frame protection

Walkea

Aug 18, 2019
Glasgow
What if any frame protection are people using on Jam2? Normally use generic helicopter tape on clockwork bike but discolours after 6-8 months.
Looking at invisiframe but damm expensive if you get lbs to fit it.

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
I have been using tape from Bike Tart for years now and I have seen no discolouration at all, didn't even know it was a thing.
Invisible Bike Frame Protection

I use the 75mm wide, any larger and I found it tricky to handle. That stuff is not like folding pasted wallpaper, it sticks to itself permanently!

Have a hair drier handy to apply to hydro-formed sections, also for removal.

OldBean

E*POWAH Elite
Patreon
Apr 28, 2018
East anglia
I worked out what shapes I needed and went to my local Sign maker who cut me out some VentureShield for a £10.took ages to apply and 18 months later its starting to lift in places.
Having now got over the initial "High" of my new bike I now realise you cannot protect it against everything and in the end the value is going to drop with or without it SO I wont do it on my next EMTB...But keeping crud out of mechanisms and bearings IS worth doing..

davarello

Oct 29, 2018
New Zealand
Another option is the All Mountain Style range - i've actually put this over the clear BK Protect as it's thicker and the solid black broke up the colour scheme of the bike.
AMS DTUBE.jpg

Beekeeper

🍯Honey Monster🍯
Aug 6, 2019
Surrey hills
I have been using tape from Bike Tart for years now and I have seen no discolouration at all, didn't even know it was a thing.

I use the 75mm wide, any larger and I found it tricky to handle. That stuff is not like folding pasted wallpaper, it sticks to itself permanently!

UV resistant as well! Interesting. We all know what UV light does to car paint over time.

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
I guess UV resistance could be implied, but it's not something that I claim, (nor does Bike Tart I believe). I can only say that I have never noticed any discolouration, clouding or anything. I'm looking at a 4-year old bike now that still looks like new. Is 4 years enough?

But I live in the UK, not sunny California or Spain where the UV levels will be higher.

Gee tomac

Jun 20, 2019
Kent
What if any frame protection are people using on Jam2? Normally use generic helicopter tape on clockwork bike but discolours after 6-8 months.
Looking at invisiframe but damm expensive if you get lbs to fit it.
Definitely recommend Invisiframe kit , really good protection which pretty much covers the whole frame. Depends on frame size though as they only had medium kits in stock and I needed a large frame kit for Focus jam2 plus 6.7. They offered to produce one ,but wanted my frame for sizing, I didn’t accept the offer as would of been about 2-3 weeks ( due to work load ) with out my new bike . So I ordered the medium kit and modified where needed. To be honest only the top of seat tube and top of head tube that came up a bit short .

HORSPWR

E*POWAH Master
May 23, 2019
Alice Springs, Australia

15cm wide and 2m long @ 40 pounds, jeez that ain't cheap and 15cm wide would be a nightmare to play with.

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
15cm wide and 2m long @ 40 pounds, jeez that ain't cheap and 15cm wide would be a nightmare to play with.

That is why I recommended the 7.5cm wide (I said 75mm, same thing). 2m of 7.5cm will do all the danger areas on a bike. I have never needed more.

I have a 2-page guide to applying bike tape. It was constructed over time with the help of other riders who provided their tips and good ideas. if you send me a private message with your email address, I will email you a copy. Free of charge of course! :)

HORSPWR

E*POWAH Master
May 23, 2019
Alice Springs, Australia
That is why I recommended the 7.5cm wide (I said 75mm, same thing). 2m of 7.5cm will do all the danger areas on a bike. I have never needed more.

I have a 2-page guide to applying bike tape. It was constructed over time with the help of other riders who provided their tips and good ideas. if you send me a private message with your email address, I will email you a copy. Free of charge of course! :)

They only have 15cm available now which is way too wide to play with to fit to a bike.

I'm good, all my bikes are done, one with Invisiframe and one with the anti-chip automotive tape above.

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
They only have 15cm available now which is way too wide to play with to fit to a bike.
I wouldn't try to use 15cm width either, 7.5cm is tricky enough as it is.

I know that it sounds like a right pain, but it cuts really easily with a craft knife. I was faced with this when taping my gran-daughter's bike which had very thin tubes, more like a road bike than an MTB. 7.5cm was way too wide for most of it, as it would have gone right round and overlapped. So I used a straight edge, a craft knife and a large bread board to cut it on. I didn't cut up the whole reel, only the lengths I needed - as I would have done for the narrow tube sections on my own bike.
Cutting to width is no harder than cutting to length or even cutting odd shapes (but then you have to ensure you don't get a mirror image of what you really want - take care!)

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles