Frame finish on X1 2022

ilostmypassword

Apr 5, 2022
New Zealand
Love my new X1 bike and each outing I get a better feel for what this beast can do. I love it. I'm probably being a bit OCD but the finish on the frame up around the power display and below is a bit lumpy and raised. The surface is not smooth or flat and differs across this region. Is this kind of finish standard on bikes now and will is be an issue with strength of the frame etc? It's like welds that are smooth in places but not flush in other parts.

I would share images but I doubt it will translate well being quite subtle. The ride is not affected with this aesthetic I guess so its not a major gripe- but I'm surprised to see such a poor finish on a 9.5K bike.

Last edited:

ilostmypassword

Apr 5, 2022
New Zealand
Just an update. Ive had another look and in all honesty it looks like a dent in the frame that's then been painted. I'll see what my LBS has to say as 9.5K is a lot of money and I don't think it's asking to much for a bike that is delivered dent free right?! Yes it will get dented and messed up anyway but for resell value alone its not cool.

JP-NZ

E*POWAH Elite
Feb 17, 2022
Christchurch - New Zealand
Just an update. Ive had another look and in all honesty it looks like a dent in the frame that's then been painted. I'll see what my LBS has to say as 9.5K is a lot of money and I don't think it's asking to much for a bike that is delivered dent free right?! Yes it will get dented and messed up anyway but for resell value alone its not cool.

Not something you should have to deal with on a brand new bike, sadly seems a lot of issues with Giant frames and finishes lately

ilostmypassword

Apr 5, 2022
New Zealand
Not something you should have to deal with on a brand new bike, sadly seems a lot of issues with Giant frames and finishes lately
I'll take to LBS and see what they say. If I purchased a new car id not expect to accept it delivered finished bad and with a dent. I have to keep reminding myself that 9.5K for a bike is premium so we should expect the best.

Rubinstein

Apr 7, 2022
kent
I had a chip on the chain stay and a mark on the front wheel of my brand new Trance advanced. Both items were replaced by my Giant store with no issues. I had the same conversation about "its going to get messed up anyway" but that's not the point. You buy new because you want new, not new B grade. As you say, your car is gonna get stone chips but you wouldn't pick it up from the dealership like that. My dealer did say there are a lot of damage issues with new bikes which they normally sort out with discounting but for me I didn't want money off I wanted a perfect bike, which in the end I got thanks to a very good Giant store(y)

ilostmypassword

Apr 5, 2022
New Zealand
I had a chip on the chain stay and a mark on the front wheel of my brand new Trance advanced. Both items were replaced by my Giant store with no issues. I had the same conversation about "its going to get messed up anyway" but that's not the point. You buy new because you want new, not new B grade. As you say, your car is gonna get stone chips but you wouldn't pick it up from the dealership like that. My dealer did say there are a lot of damage issues with new bikes which they normally sort out with discounting but for me I didn't want money off I wanted a perfect bike, which in the end I got thanks to a very good Giant store(y)
That was a great result. 😁I'll see how it works out!

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles