• How to use this section. To the thread starter: Once you are satisfied with the answer that youve been given, click the Trophy on the left hand side of the message. This will rate this answer as the 'Best Answer' and will change the question status from 'Unanswerd' to 'Answered'. All members can also upvote an answer with the 'Up' arrow, this will help identify the best answer.

Answered Fox Suggested Sag Measurements

pgtips

Patreon
Jun 3, 2018
Somerset
Ok I would like around the 27% sag settings on my rear shock.
I just keep looking this table from Fox is and confusing the shite out of me!! I just don't get the way it reads. Can someone help please? What mm would you use to get to close desire settings of 27ish% ?

fox.png

Rob Rides EMTB

Administrator
Staff member
Subscriber
Jan 14, 2018
Surrey, UK
Your 2019 Levo has a shock stroke (travel) of 52.5mm. The Levo has a 150mm of travel at the rear, so your 52.5mm stroke has a ratio of 2.86 (2.86*52.5=150) to get to its 150mm travel at the rear.

If 51mm (as per above table) at 13mm sag = 25%, then your 52.5 needs 13.33mm sag to get to 25%.

Aim for 14mm sag - that'll be good enough to get to around 27% sag. No need to faff around any more than that to get it exact!

pgtips

Patreon
Jun 3, 2018
Somerset
Your 2019 Levo has a shock stroke (travel) of 52.5mm. The Levo has a 150mm of travel at the rear, so your 52.5mm stroke has a ratio of 2.86 (2.86*52.5=150) to get to its 150mm travel at the rear.

If 51mm (as per above table) at 13mm sag = 25%, then your 52.5 needs 13.33mm sag to get to 25%.

Aim for 14mm sag - that'll be good enough to get to around 27% sag. No need to faff around any more than that to get it exact!
Cheers Rob......my fault I dint mention that I changed the shock to 2019 FLOAT DPX2.

pgtips

Patreon
Jun 3, 2018
Somerset
Cheers Rob......my fault I dint mention that I changed the shock to 2019 FLOAT DPX2.
But now I see what you say.......first column is the overal travel of the
As long as you got the correct stroke (52.5mm) then the calculations remain the same. Are there any codes / numbers on the box?
There is codes but in the fox site has no info for it!!! Strange.
I see how it reads now.......must have mental block or I'm just mental lol......Thanks Rob, I got it now mate :love:

pgtips

Patreon
Jun 3, 2018
Somerset

I see how it reads now.......must have mental block or I'm just mental lol......Thanks Rob, I got it now mate :love:

Also another question. To archive the 15mm sag I'm almost at 300 psi which is the maximum pressure for the shock ( 104 kg ) Do you think I need spacer in there?

Rob Rides EMTB

Administrator
Staff member
Subscriber
Jan 14, 2018
Surrey, UK

No probs!

Fox dont actually list one for the 2019 Levo, they kinda get custom made. They list 210x50 (not enough stroke) or 210x55 (157.5mm travel). I think they custom make the Levo ones from a 210x55 and reduce the stroke to 52.5.

pgtips

Patreon
Jun 3, 2018
Somerset
No probs!

Fox dont actually list one for the 2019 Levo, they kinda get custom made. They list 210x50 (not enough stroke) or 210x55 (157.5mm travel). I think they custom make the Levo ones from a 210x55 and reduce the stroke to 52.5.
Yes this is custom made to 210x52.5

Rob Rides EMTB

Administrator
Staff member
Subscriber
Jan 14, 2018
Surrey, UK
Also another question. To archive the 15mm sag I'm almost at 300 psi which is the maximum pressure for the shock ( 104 kg ) Do you think I need spacer in there?
Spacer wont change sag, it'll change the progression of the shock. I'd try where you're at first before changing anything else.

Rob Rides EMTB

Administrator
Staff member
Subscriber
Jan 14, 2018
Surrey, UK
Many thanks Rob....... I feel silly now as is pretty obvious when you explained it lol.

Cheers :)
Nah, it's not obvious at all! They do it that way (shock stroke / travel) as the 'travel' depends on the ratios of the bike that they put it on. That same shock could have a travel of 140mm on another bike...

And I only know as i just got the exact same shock.. and did the same setup last night!!

pgtips

Patreon
Jun 3, 2018
Somerset
Nah, it's not obvious at all! They do it that way (shock stroke / travel) as the 'travel' depends on the ratios of the bike that they put it on. That same shock could have a travel of 140mm on another bike...

And I only know as i just got the exact same shock.. and did the same setup last night!!
You just been nice to me :ROFLMAO:

Cheers bud (y)

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
Nothing to do with psi.
When I first tried adding air tuning spacers to my Fox shock, the pack arrived with three spacers for my shock and two spacers for a larger shock. Of the three (S, M, L) spacers for my size of shock, I started with the smallest first (O.2 cubic inches, if I remember correctly). I noticed two things: First, there was an immediate increase in mid stroke support so that the shock was not compressing quite so much. Jumping to flat, the fork and shock travel were more in line with each other. :) Second, I needed less air pressure to get the same %sag as before, making the shock more responsive over small bumps. :)

But of course , if the small one was good, would the medium one (0.4 cu.in) be even better? :)
So I gave that a go, but it made the shock feel too harsh. I left it in for the rest of the trail just to make sure, but I didn't like it, so I replaced it with the small one. I didn't even try the large one (0.6 cu.in). I'm sure I still have the M & L spacers (+ the two for the larger shock) somewhere in my toolbox, but I don't have that shock anymore.

The job of fitting is so simple to do that I saw a magazine write up that they did it trailside. My first fitting was in my garage, and it really was easy as I didn't have to remove the shock. On the test ride, I actually removed the small spacer and added the medium spacer by the side of the trail. It really was that easy, and quick to do! However, I must have introduced a speck of grit because at the next shock service, there was some internal scoring and it cost me another £60 for the damaged part. So, don't do it trailside, no matter how easy it is! :eek:

pgtips

Patreon
Jun 3, 2018
Somerset
I was just looking at the DPX2, is it a good fit for the Levo and do you need to remove the bottle cage?

It fits well and you can leave the bottle cage if you want too, but there is no much space to slide a bottle from the top. Better off using one of the side load bottle cage's if you still want to use it. I never used mine as I always carry my Camel backpack with the blader. Even when I go out for a quick blast.

jonpress

Oct 23, 2018
Iver
It fits well and you can leave the bottle cage if you want too, but there is no much space to slide a bottle from the top. Better off using one of the side load bottle cage's if you still want to use it. I never used mine as I always carry my Camel backpack with the blader. Even when I go out for a quick blast.
Thanks for that. Did you get the shock travel adjusted from 55 down to 52.5? I’m paranoid that I’ll damage something if I don’t.

pgtips

Patreon
Jun 3, 2018
Somerset
Thanks for that. Did you get the shock travel adjusted from 55 down to 52.5? I’m paranoid that I’ll damage something if I don’t.
I purchased mine from here as I have most of my shocks and forks. They don't advertise the 52.5 but if you give them a call they usually have them in stock.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles