Forward or classic enduro geometry ?

leechi66

Aug 25, 2020
Slovakia
Hi boys, several of you have chosen here between Propain Ekano and Meta Power SX. I have the same dilemma. I really like Ekano but they ruined it with a 500w battery... :( The new Meta Power SX surprised me with weak equipment (in basic model) and the new geometry is like a copy / paste of Kenevo ... The 2020 model was much more attractive for me... Since I had Meta AM v3 before, I am attracted to Commencal again, but Propain for the same price has much better equipment with Fox shock and fork and still have classic enduro geometry ... So my question is: Should I choose classic enduro geometry like Ekano or more forward geometry of the new Meta SX? Would you prefer better equipment (Ekano) or a bigger battery (Meta SX)? I want to ride longer trails, and some bikeparks (i prefere flows) time to time...Thanks to all of you!

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
Just had a look and the geometry of the Ekano and Meta SX aren't really hugely different.
The main differences between the two is BB height and Head angle.
the SX having a slacker head angle. Which "should" make the bike more stable at higher speeds. But TBH If maximum stability is what you're after you'd be daft to even choose a 27.5 bike.
Mullet the Propain in the low position and it'll be as slack as the SX. But with added the benefit of a lower BB
it's only when you get into the realms of the XL size Meta that the reach gets any longer than you can go with the Propain.

Don't know how tall you are or how you ride but IME really long reach Eebs are way less playful so for me less fun to ride. As are super heavy Eebs and neither of your choices are light.

There isn't really such a thing as "classic enduro geometry" and "forward geometry" is just a marketing term coined by Mondraker when they started building longer front centres into their bikes.

leechi66

Aug 25, 2020
Slovakia
You're right, when I compared the geometry, si found some differences but are not so big .... Interestingly, Meta looks at first glance much longer and stretched compared to Ekano. In principle, its reach is only 2 cm longer, but visually it looks much longer than Ekano, interesting ... Do you think that those 2 cm are significant for the driving style at all?

I made a mistake with forward geometry, yes it is from the Mondraker workshop, I wanted to talk about bicycles with longer reach :)

STATO

Feb 18, 2020
North
You're right, when I compared the geometry, si found some differences but are not so big .... Interestingly, Meta looks at first glance much longer and stretched compared to Ekano. In principle, its reach is only 2 cm longer, but visually it looks much longer than Ekano, interesting ... Do you think that those 2 cm are significant for the driving style at all?

I made a mistake with forward geometry, yes it is from the Mondraker workshop, I wanted to talk about bicycles with longer reach :)

2cm more/less reach is often the difference between sizes, so yeah it will make a difference. If thats a positive or negative only you can say. Personally as someone on XL frame i find these longer bikes much more comfortable to ride at speed and on challenging terrain, they certainly are big boats though, take some turning.

slippery pete

Oct 29, 2019
Scotland
My newest bike is my 2020 Commencal Meta Power (479mm reach in L). My oldest bike (non-E) that I still use regularly is a 2014 Devinci Spartan (435mm reach in L). I have a longer stem (75mm) on the Devinci but the whole package works with very little adjustment in (aggressive) riding style.

Between the two bikes you mention (Ekano / Meta SX) you'll be picking the size you think gets you closest to where you need to be. If you're after a long XL, the Propain doesn't really offer that. For everything else I think you can ignore geometry chart differences and just make sure the bike you pick comes in the size you want with the equipment you want at the price you want... and is available!

leechi66

Aug 25, 2020
Slovakia
My newest bike is my 2020 Commencal Meta Power (479mm reach in L). My oldest bike (non-E) that I still use regularly is a 2014 Devinci Spartan (435mm reach in L). I have a longer stem (75mm) on the Devinci but the whole package works with very little adjustment in (aggressive) riding style.

Between the two bikes you mention (Ekano / Meta SX) you'll be picking the size you think gets you closest to where you need to be. If you're after a long XL, the Propain doesn't really offer that. For everything else I think you can ignore geometry chart differences and just make sure the bike you pick comes in the size you want with the equipment you want at the price you want... and is available!
hmm, I was interested in your last sentence. We all solve small things here sometimes, and many times the essence is missing :) The differences are often really only "marketing".

So the really important thing between these two models is: to choose a bike with better equipment (Ekano) or a stronger battery (Meta SX)? Does anyone have a real experience driving 500w vs 630w? (i mean real km range)

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
In principle, its reach is only 2 cm longer, but visually it looks much longer than Ekano, interesting ... Do you think that those 2 cm are significant for the driving style at all?
It's not 2cm longer in reach. Not unless you go for the XL. The Ekano has a reach measurement similar to all other sizes of the Meta.

slippery pete

Oct 29, 2019
Scotland
So the really important thing between these two models is: to choose a bike with better equipment (Ekano) or a stronger battery (Meta SX)? Does anyone have a real experience driving 500w vs 630w? (i mean real km range)

km range numbers are pretty meaningless without considering terrain, rider weight, support mode, rider fitness (how much you put in), tyre choice .... etc.

Maybe the way to think about it is that the battery capacity isn't upgradeable. Components are upgradeable (although it costs). The stuff that is low spec on the 2021 SX is mostly stuff that will work fine until it wears out. Guide RE brakes aren't ideal, but 220 rotors are going to mostly resolve that. I reckon you could ride the snot out of that bike and change stuff as you break it.

I ride a Commencal 2020 but a Team model that came with a completely dialled spec except for the 504Wh battery. My experience is that I like riding with the Trail mode settings dialled down to give the most natural ride feel. I leave it in Trail for most of my riding and I'm usually exhausted before the battery is. If I go for a blast in Boost (again, dialled down) I put in more effort and again I'm knackered pretty much at the same time as the battery. My Eco mode is at full power because on that setting I can usefully choose to use it and doing so does extend range considerably. Because of range concerns I bought a spare battery which I have used.... once.

But. These are rides on a comparatively fresh battery that still has 100% of its capacity. The temperatures are moderate. I can easily see how in cold winter conditions and with a slightly worn battery 504Wh might be limiting. My partner has the same bike as me but uses more support more of the time so doesn't get the same range I see. For her, the bigger battery could have been a better choice.

Last harsh truth is that if you want to ride without range anxiety... you need a bike without batteries, some endurance training and a fuelling plan.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles