Forth of July....

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
I can understand a nation celebrating its independence when it happened only a few hundred years ago. That feels almost like yesterday. The Brits have been independent for nearly a thousand years and have got buildings still in use that are twice that. Even the church in my village is more than a thousand years old. When I moved to the village where I live the population was the same as it was in 1086. I know this because it was recorded in the Domesday Book. No blacksmiths, pig breeders or ostlers though. :)

We do however celebrate the battle of Trafalgar 1805, a crucial sea battle where the British Navy utterly defeated the French and Spanish fleets. Also, the battle of Waterloo 1815 where the Brits (with a little help from the Germans) beat Napoleon's army once and for all. Still relatively recent, comparatively. :)

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
1656964657571.png

Tubby G

❤️‍🔥 Hot Stuff ❤️‍🔥
Dec 15, 2020
North Yorkshire
OK fair enough, "celebrate" is a strong word to use, "commemorate" would be better. Mind you I'm sure that some do actually "celebrate", (especially when there are French people around). ;)

In the 49 years of my life living in the UK I’ve never heard of anyone celebrating or commemorating the Battle of Trafalgar or Waterloo. However, I don’t mix in military circles, maybe that’s where it comes from ?

Things the average Brit appears to celebrate …

Christmas
Bonfire Night
Halloween (well the kids do)
World Book Day (kids again)
Summer Solstice
St Patricks’ Day (Irish)
Winning at football (rare)
Can’t think of anything else ….

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
In the 49 years of my life living in the UK I’ve never heard of anyone celebrating or commemorating the Battle of Trafalgar or Waterloo. However, I don’t mix in military circles, maybe that’s where it comes from ?

Christmas
Bonfire Night
Summer Solstice
St Patricks’ Day (Irish)
Friday ? I seem to remember that every week it was patriotically celebrated throughout the Empire - until 11pm ! :)

Brexit ? Surely, with how magnificent the NHS is with all the extra money and having got rid of all the people who came to work who (god forbid) weren't conceived on a Friday night celebration in the UK, it must be celebrated annually for at least a week of none stop festivities ?

Tubby G

❤️‍🔥 Hot Stuff ❤️‍🔥
Dec 15, 2020
North Yorkshire
Friday ? I seem to remember that every week it was patriotically celebrated throughout the Empire - until 11pm ! :)

Brexit ? Surely, with how magnificent the NHS is with all the extra money and having got rid of all the people who came to work who (god forbid) weren't conceived on a Friday night celebration in the UK, it must be celebrated annually for at least a week of none stop festivities ?

You dared to mention the B word, this thread will be locked!

Back in the days of celebrating Friday nights, the celebrations actually started on Thursday nights, and then they moved to Wednesdays, so the weekend was actually most of the week, with Monday being a paranoid mess of a coma day and Tuesdays the only day of work. Gosh I’m jibbering, much like I used to on a Friday 🤪

stonedwolf

Mar 13, 2022
Glasgow
Everything alright at home, pal?

Aye. But I got to meet my relatives who fought and suffered in that, and I know too much of the history to let the revisionists piss & shit on their graves.

But I've deleted the post because, you know, mountain biking. Putting 2Wheels and Tubs on Ignore will suffice.

Last edited:

billwarwick

E*POWAH Elite
Oct 1, 2018
warwick

Christmas
Bonfire Night
Summer Solstice
St Patricks’ Day (Irish)
Realising that you can afford an ebike?

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles