Fork upgrade on 2021 Rail 7

Seabird55

May 11, 2021
Vancouver
looking to upgrade my fork on my Rail 7....and looking for opinions

option 1 - put in a charger damper 2.1 rc2 and skf seals...will prob cost CAD450 all in
option 2 - look for decent used fox 36/38 and sell the yari...will prob cost similar...$1k for the fox and get say $450-500 for the yari at best

question on option 2- are all fox forks a straight swap aside from say offset...any fit issues that i should be aware of.

thanks

Seabird55

May 11, 2021
Vancouver
Have decided to go with option 1….installing this weekend. For those that have done the rc2 upgrade how did you set up the fork. What is Ihe easiest way…. use the online set up tool? If yes, Do I simply input a serial number for a lyric ultimate? If so can someone provide. Thanks

RustyMTB

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Jul 22, 2020
UK
I went for option 1 and it transformed the bike.
I did this too & it was a good decision. Set up like any other fork. Put all your gear on & then set the sag to your preference. After that, it's down to you to tune the low & high speed compression etc. to suit the trails/riding style you require. I like my rebound quite slow, for example, so I'm not pogoing down the trail but I don't ride the same terrain as you so what suits me won't necessarily be the same for you but messing with the tune is part of the fun. (y)

Black8917

Jun 17, 2021
PNW
Started with zeb select 160mm. It sucked felt like it was wielded solid even at 55 psi.
Refreashed the lower with low friction seals and 170mm air shaft. Still sucked.
Installed the ultimate RC2.1 damper. Was better but still felt harsh with very little compression dampening.
Installed smash pot coil, was better but still harsh.
installed push HC97, it was light years better. I can rock downhill 6 minute runs now back to back no problem where as before I could hardly hold onto the bars two minutes in.

it is about like my fox36 grip2 on my nomad now. I would probably just get a fox38 if I started over but the grip from the coil is unreal.

Doug Stampfer

Jul 7, 2018
NZ
I used a shockwiz initially but I agree with Rusty, get your sag right then adjust to how you like the feel. My fork felt fantastic just riding along the driveway let alone the first time down the usual tracks.
I have a basic setup for most of the tracks then give couple of HSC clicks for the big fast hit tracks.
Be aware though that you will be changing your rear shock once you have got the front dialled in so allow in your budget for that :)

Seabird55

May 11, 2021
Vancouver
thanks for the advice...just waiting for my skf seals before i install the damper. i already switched to a dpx2 which made a big difference...which led me to wanting to upgrade the fork

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles