Fork upgrade, how to remove block lock fork race?

stefan7

Nov 5, 2020
Nevada
Sorry to bring this old thread back to life. I have the block lock crown race in hand but can’t get it set on my fork. I measured it and it is about 0.25mm smaller than a normal crown race. Should I brute force it? Isn’t that going to damage my fork/ steer tube?

akuria

Patreon
Jan 30, 2020
san francisco
Sorry to bring this old thread back to life. I have the block lock crown race in hand but can’t get it set on my fork. I measured it and it is about 0.25mm smaller than a normal crown race. Should I brute force it? Isn’t that going to damage my fork/ steer tube?

It is meant to be a press fit squeeze. I use a steel tube about the same dia as the race and a hammer and tap it on. it'll fit.

As for the knock block.... It is vital for the frames size Large and smaller. I have an XL and texted it without the blocker and I barely clear the downtube. My buddy had a medium and his would easily hit. I am sure they just put the same race on all their bike regardless.

2WheelsNot4

E*POWAH Master
Oct 17, 2021
Scotland
Im bumping this thread because I've run into the same problem.

Was intending to take of the fox 36 to get it serviced, fitting a lyrik in its place, but after seeing what Im faced with and the options for getting this damned block lock race off i think the best option is to buy a replacement race and fit that to the lyrik rather than struggle or spend money attempting to get it off then on again.

What an utter pain in the arse.

So if anyone finds this thread in the coming years, do what im intending to do and just buy a complete race rather than try to fanny about with off-on-needle bearings nonsense(or whatever the hell they are)
It will be quicker and easier and a lot cheaper.

Feb 3, 2021
UK
Im bumping this thread because I've run into the same problem.

Was intending to take of the fox 36 to get it serviced, fitting a lyrik in its place, but after seeing what Im faced with and the options for getting this damned block lock race off i think the best option is to buy a replacement race and fit that to the lyrik rather than struggle or spend money attempting to get it off then on again.

What an utter pain in the arse.

So if anyone finds this thread in the coming years, do what im intending to do and just buy a complete race rather than try to fanny about with off-on-needle bearings nonsense(or whatever the hell they are)
It will be quicker and easier and a lot cheaper.
Just got new crafty carbon rr and YEP. Internal Cable Routed headset with blockknock lower crown race setup. Plan swop out the new fox38 for rxf38 Ive still got sat here so removed fox38 only to find this new starnge WTH is this BK Crown race that I can't get off with usual screwdriver hack/trick so after 2 days of seraching I found the part I need so for now Im just gonna buy it and sortout removing other one off the fox38 later on. I found it on Acors website so googled and Oxford website have the same part listed for sale.

Screenshot 2024-01-26 at 19-59-05 Acros Crown Race 1.5 for ZS56 Block Lock Headset Oxford Prod...png

2WheelsNot4

E*POWAH Master
Oct 17, 2021
Scotland
Just got new crafty carbon rr and YEP. Internal Cable Routed headset with blockknock lower crown race setup. Plan swop out the new fox38 for rxf38 Ive still got sat here so removed fox38 only to find this new starnge WTH is this BK Crown race that I can't get off with usual screwdriver hack/trick so after 2 days of seraching I found the part I need so for now Im just gonna buy it and sortout removing other one off the fox38 later on. I found it on Acors website so googled and Oxford website have the same part listed for sale.
I got mine on ebay, and theres only a single seller so not much choice. Price is more-£22.50 inc post, and to be honest with no other choice its better just to buy than wait an unknown amount of time to try to save a tenner when fitting it on a £5/6k bike

For future reference -

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles