Fork upgrade focus jam2 6.7 2020

Dano78

Dec 3, 2019
Uk
What forks have people been using to upgrade there focus jam2 2020 as I'm guessing the fox34 rthymn isnt the most stable I've looked on line and its says its 46mm offset would be be okay if the new fork isn't the same ?

ervian

Nov 10, 2019
Norway
Fox 36 performance e-bike. 160mm and 44mm offset.
I'm very happy with the upgrade! Got a great deal and only paid $450 for it.

IMG_8296.JPG

Tooks

Subscriber
Mar 29, 2020
Lincs UK
Had my first ride out on a pair of Manitou Mattoc’s today, only the one ride but I haven’t felt such controlled forks the whole time I’ve had my Jam 2 6.7+.

Comparisons are the original RS Recons that felt twangy with their 32mm stanchions, and there replacements which were RS 35 Gold RLs, stiffer but still a mediocre damper by higher end fork standards.

The Mattoc’s are 34mm stanchions, so maybe still a little small by e-bike standards, but feel stiff enough. It’s the quality of the ride/damping that’s standout for me, within a couple of hundred metres on my regular trails I knew they were a step up.

Adjustments are many, but I just set it up as per the guide in the box, and seems there or thereabouts.

Longevity I’ve no idea, obviously, but I think we’re going to be very happy together, especially at the price paid which is less than the RS Golds...

Tooks

Subscriber
Mar 29, 2020
Lincs UK
@ Ervian
Hang on - no ones made comment on the white wheels.... stunning

You mean the tyres? Well, they match the garage door...

Not to my taste, and they wouldn’t stay white around here for long, but they are certainly striking. We all like different things though, right?!

Jamsquared

Nov 15, 2019
Rushden, UK
160mm Marzocchi bomber Z1's, they are a massive upgrade over the fox 34 despite being related. Only question now is to convert to coil or not? They are great as as they are to be honest.

David2e

Dec 4, 2020
Slovenia
Hi,

i am also thinking about upgrading my Rock Shox Recon RL fork on my Jam2 6.7. After checking the Focus website i am not sure what rake fork should i buy. They have listed different rake forks on models with Fox or RockShox.

What rake would you recommend if i change for Yari or Lyrik fork 150mm or even 160mm?

Thank You!
David

sdcoffeeroaster

Jul 22, 2018
San Diego, CA
Hi,

i am also thinking about upgrading my Rock Shox Recon RL fork on my Jam2 6.7. After checking the Focus website i am not sure what rake fork should i buy. They have listed different rake forks on models with Fox or RockShox.

What rake would you recommend if i change for Yari or Lyrik fork 150mm or even 160mm?

Thank You!
David
I'm in the same boat as you. I want to get the Lyrik Ultimate 150mm travel, 29" but can't decide which offset will be best for me. 44mm or 51mm like I have now. I started a thread on this subject. Current thinking about going to a smaller offset has me baffled and confused, lol.

David2e

Dec 4, 2020
Slovenia
I wrote Focus about this, but got a really lame answer from them.

"unfortunately we do not give out any information in case of a chassis exchange.
This is a component exchange which could have a strong influence on the driving behaviour.
The chassis we have installed is perfectly matched to the bike, which is why we do not recommend a change. "

Honestly didn't expect such answer from them.

sdcoffeeroaster

Jul 22, 2018
San Diego, CA
I wrote Focus about this, but got a really lame answer from them.

"unfortunately we do not give out any information in case of a chassis exchange.
This is a component exchange which could have a strong influence on the driving behaviour.
The chassis we have installed is perfectly matched to the bike, which is why we do not recommend a change. "

Honestly didn't expect such answer from them.
They are just protecting their liability with this statement of course. More fork angle for instance might put the frame under a bit more stress and if something breaks they would not want to be liable. I imagine as long as you stay below 160mm there should be more than enough factor of safety built into the frame. I went from 140 to 150with no apparent ill effects and will probably go to 160mm. I'm pretty light at 155 lbs with 10 lbs or total gear. But imagine someone right at upper limit in size going from 140 to 160mm travel and then that person is a radical jumper and very hard rider! As to rake or offset I think I've decided to stay with the stock 51mm. With the added fork angle, 29" front wheel, lower 2.6" tire on the back I'm right at 65 deg (approx. 65.5 deg with the 150mm) and I think I need the extra trail to make the bike turn the way I'm used to on slow swithbacks, etc. I suppose 44mm would work as well and I might not notice the increased tendency to "flop". With the harshness of the Fox Rhythm, the improvement of the Lyrik Ultimate should overwhelm anything else.

SGS

Jan 5, 2021
Sydney
What forks have people been using to upgrade there focus jam2 2020 as I'm guessing the fox34 rthymn isnt the most stable I've looked on line and its says its 46mm offset would be be okay if the new fork isn't the same ?
I have found that the standard fork has a little bit too much flex.
Also the fork spec on the Focus site is misleading as in one spot it says 46mm offset and in another it is 51mm
The stock Fox 34 fork on my 2020 Jam2 Plus is 29" 51mm offset.
You can confirm your fork details on the ridefox website

sdcoffeeroaster

Jul 22, 2018
San Diego, CA
Just installed my 2021 lyrik ultimate 150mm 51mm offset. I’m glad I didn’t go with the 160mm. It sits taller and my 2018 jam2 C measures 65.1 deg now, just right for me. I ride it on the trails tomorrow morning for the first time. I could not get more than 20% sag at 55 psi though. One volume token, came with 2. Going to start with 60 psi. I’m about 156lbs with full gear. I have access to a shockwiz for finer tuning later. Oh only about 50g more than fox 34 rhythm.

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
Consider a Rockshox Revelation RC with the Debonair air spring. It has 35mm dia stanchions and is a good fork. Then if you feel like that is still not enough, you can convert it to a Pike by swapping out the Motion Control damper for a Charger 2.1.

Or go straight to a Pike RCT3.

Or same as above (1st para) but start with a Rockshox Yari then convert to a Lyrik.

sdcoffeeroaster

Jul 22, 2018
San Diego, CA
Just installed my 2021 lyrik ultimate 150mm 51mm offset. I’m glad I didn’t go with the 160mm. It sits taller and my 2018 jam2 C measures 65.1 deg now, just right for me. I ride it on the trails tomorrow morning for the first time. I could not get more than 20% sag at 55 psi though. One volume token, came with 2. Going to start with 60 psi. I’m about 156lbs with full gear. I have access to a shockwiz for finer tuning later. Oh only about 50g more than fox 34 rhythm.
I was concerned that I would not really notice much improvement with my new Lyrik but that is not the case. It's much more controlled and smooth over harsh surfaces. I used all but the last 25mm of travel on this ride and while I had a couple of harder hits trying to bottom it out they were not that severe so I'll still be doing some tuning I think. The harshness of the Fox 34 has been very muted and smoothed out and I'm very happy with the result. Can't fault rigidity of the new forks even without the torque caps that I'm still trying to get. It's just very solid and with the new upgrades for 2021 it sits higher, so much so that I'm going to lower the bars at least 10-20mm. Mid-range support was very good along with better small bump sensitivity. There's just a more damped feeling from all the harshness I was feeling in the Fox 34.

I also installed a new Ergon saddle that only felt good for the first 30 min of my ride. I'm going thru a bit of a nightmare with saddles and saddle sores for the first time in 3 years of riding....really really sucks!

0121211258_Film3.jpg

0121211259_Film3.jpg

0121211259a_Film3.jpg

SGS

Jan 5, 2021
Sydney
I went through the same thing with saddles a little while ago, trying all of the major brands styles and sizes, ended up settling on a Bontrager Montrose Comp saddle in large.

sdcoffeeroaster

Jul 22, 2018
San Diego, CA
I went through the same thing with saddles a little while ago, trying all of the major brands styles and sizes, ended up settling on a Bontrager Montrose Comp saddle in large.
My sit bones if you believe the SQlabs meaurement are around 11.5-12 cm. So far I've used the SQlabs 610 (145cm), WTB Volt (med level and high level versions), WTB Pure, Proxim 650 (which started this dilemma, 155cm way too big), the Focus saddle (felt better than most on this list) and now a Ergon SM sport (narrow) which felt the best so far. I will have a Craigslist sale one day soon. Right now I have to back off another week and try riding again with a saddle position adjustment, more forward and lowered stem by 20 mm.

SGS

Jan 5, 2021
Sydney
So I had a good test ride of my Jam2 with the Fox 36 grip2. It is a huge step up from the stock 34 rythmn. 44m rake and 160mm with more tuning options make the bike much more agile and able to deal with chatter like a breeze.
I don't do bike parks or jumps etc, but I mostly ride single tracks (hiking trails in our mountains) with lots of rocks and roots. The fork is great for this! absolutely happy with the investment!
I am assuming that the fork is the Factory non ebike version, going by what you have specified in your description. If I am correct , how is the fork flex?

Gee tomac

Jun 20, 2019
Kent
Hi ,
All help appreciated. Anyone running or used DVO Beryl forks?
Contemplating these forks to replace stock Rockshox Recons . DVO Spec 35mm Stanchions 150mm travel . The limited reviews seem ok ? Just wondering on real world experience.
Thank you. ?

pmcc

Feb 14, 2021
Northern Ireland
Anyone know what length the fork steerer tube needs to be?

I am waiting on a 6.7 medium but cant help looking at used forks on ebay already. ??

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
Hi ,
All help appreciated. Anyone running or used DVO Beryl forks?
Contemplating these forks to replace stock Rockshox Recons . DVO Spec 35mm Stanchions 150mm travel . The limited reviews seem ok ? Just wondering on real world experience.
Thank you. ?

Before you commit to the DVO Beryl forks, make sure that you can actually get hold of them!
DVO have done a deal to supply IBIS bikes with their suspension. Consequently this has mopped up a huge amount of their production capacity. I have been trying to get a DVO Topaz T3 shock since Oct'20. Every two months, a ship comes from DVO in USA into the UK. In October, December and February, there were no Topaz shocks of my size on the ship. Now waiting for the next ship in April. DVO kit does arrive, but it is mostly already sold before the ship docks. It feels like DVO are making mine to order!
Source of info is EVO Cycles in the UK, backed up by the total unavailability of the shock I want on any website I can find in Europe.

Gee tomac

Jun 20, 2019
Kent
Before you commit to the DVO Beryl forks, make sure that you can actually get hold of them!
DVO have done a deal to supply IBIS bikes with their suspension. Consequently this has mopped up a huge amount of their production capacity. I have been trying to get a DVO Topaz T3 shock since Oct'20. Every two months, a ship comes from DVO in USA into the UK. In October, December and February, there were no Topaz shocks of my size on the ship. Now waiting for the next ship in April. DVO kit does arrive, but it is mostly already sold before the ship docks. It feels like DVO are making mine to order!
Source of info is EVO Cycles in the UK, backed up by the total unavailability of the shock I want on any website I can find in Europe.
Hi Steve , many thanks for you’re advice. However since I posted the thread , I’ve changed my mind at got a Rockshox Yari 2021 model with the updated air spring from Bikester.co.uk ( based in Germany though ) same model in uk not available till July ! Prices quoted including uk vat , no extra charges for import . ?

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles