Fork Oil Level

Bomble

Subscriber
Nov 11, 2018
Yorkshire
I gave my spare Lyriks a lower leg service a few weeks ago and left them stood on a bit of floorboard in storage.
I noticed the other day a stain under one of the legs as though oil may have leaked out of the bottom bolt. I can’t be sure though if the stain was already in the wood.
Is it possible to just undo the bottom bolts, drain out the oil and refill with the correct amount or would I have to drop the lowers again.

MountainBoy

Mar 4, 2022
Washington State, USA
I gave my spare Lyriks a lower leg service a few weeks ago and left them stood on a bit of floorboard in storage.
I noticed the other day a stain under one of the legs as though oil may have leaked out of the bottom bolt. I can’t be sure though if the stain was already in the wood.
Is it possible to just undo the bottom bolts, drain out the oil and refill with the correct amount or would I have to drop the lowers again.

Without having seen the stain on the wood, or knowing how fresh it looked or how likely it would be that it's from other sources, I would feel for loose oil around the bottom bolt. If there is none, and the torque of the bottom bolt is tight, I wouldn't worry about it if the fork rides normally. If you notice bad fork action then do a service, making sure to do it correctly this time.

Mr_Price

Feb 27, 2021
North Vancouver
Cheers for the reply. They are a spare set, might just pull the lowers just to put my mind at rest.
I don’t see why you would pull the lowers but it’s only one step extra given you need to free the damper and spring to get enough room to add the oil.
How spare are they? I’d be playing with spring length and upgrading the damper if I had a set lying around. 😂

Bomble

Subscriber
Nov 11, 2018
Yorkshire
I don’t see why you would pull the lowers but it’s only one step extra given you need to free the damper and spring to get enough room to add the oil.
How spare are they? I’d be playing with spring length and upgrading the damper if I had a set lying around. 😂

Aaah so any remaining oil would drain out through the bolt holes you think? Haven’t had time to do anything with them yet but it would be nice if I could just drain and refill through the bolt hole.
They are lyric ultimates so good as they are😄

Mr_Price

Feb 27, 2021
North Vancouver
Aaah so any remaining oil would drain out through the bolt holes you think? Haven’t had time to do anything with them yet but it would be nice if I could just drain and refill through the bolt hole.
They are lyric ultimates so good as they are😄
Nice spares. Yes, the oil should drain

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles