Fork offset VS wheel size

Shinn

Nov 8, 2020
Decorah, IA USA
This may have been brought up before but I've been unable to find the info anywhere in the forums. I'm really confused - please bear with me...

Bike is a stock Levo SL comp, size medium. I know I will be going to a 160mm fork, not sure of the offset yet but I was thinking 51mm BUT I may also be changing to 27.5" wheels at some point as I'm short and not entirely digging the 29's - but plan to give them more time before switching.

I see that 27.5 forks come in smaller offsets than the 29" forks. I don't want to buy a fork for 29" at an offset that would hinder the bike if I do end up with 27.5 wheels.

What is the difference between the two forks?

Since the smaller wheels will speed up turning does it make sense to then get a shorter offset than 51mm in the 29" size?

If this has been covered please let me know where.
thanks for reading

Chicane

Nov 11, 2020
SoCal
I’m looking at buying an SL coming from an analog bike I would go with the shorter offset. I’m looking at a 160 Lyrik with 42 offset just because it wI’ll shorten the WB and give a quicker turn in (I think)

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
if you revisit the last thread you posted in about offset all your questions are actually answered there.
Rewatch the video R120 posted explaining "trail"
Basically for any given head angle offset and wheelsize dictate trail.
There is no right or wrong. Only preference. And even then it's not earth shatteringly different.
I've owned the exact same Ebike twice. the first one had a longer offset and shorter stem. second had a shorter offset butlonger stem.
did each feel and steer differently? Yes. a little.
did it matter? No. Not really.

My normal Enduro bike has very similar geometry/sizing to my Eeb but has a longer offset 27.5 fork but 26" wheels. Basically the opposite way the entire mtb industry are steering (pun) us. is it slightly less stable? Yes. But does it ride well For me? Oh Yes.

Re-acquaint yourself with the fundamentals of trail (and the positives and negatives of having a lot or a little) and make up your own mind

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
I’m looking at buying an SL coming from an analog bike I would go with the shorter offset. I’m looking at a 160 Lyrik with 42 offset just because it wI’ll shorten the WB and give a quicker turn in (I think)
Nope.
it will shorten the wheelbase. But it will also slow the steering.

You would also benefit from taking the advice I just gave in my last post

Shinn

Nov 8, 2020
Decorah, IA USA
if you revisit the last thread you posted in about offset all your questions are actually answered there.
Rewatch the video R120 posted explaining "trail"
Basically for any given head angle offset and wheelsize dictate trail.
There is no right or wrong. Only preference. And even then it's not earth shatteringly different.
I've owned the exact same Ebike twice. the first one had a longer offset and shorter stem. second had a shorter offset butlonger stem.
did each feel and steer differently? Yes. a little.
did it matter? No. Not really.

My normal Enduro bike has very similar geometry/sizing to my Eeb but has a longer offset 27.5 fork but 26" wheels. Basically the opposite way the entire mtb industry are steering (pun) us. is it slightly less stable? Yes. But does it ride well For me? Oh Yes.

Re-acquaint yourself with the fundamentals of trail (and the positives and negatives of having a lot or a little) and make up your own mind

Thanks Gary, the last time I upgraded a set of forks was in the early 90's - lots more to think about nowadays.

One other question - is there a fundamental difference between a fork for a 27.5 vs 29" wheel size?

Thanks again.
Mark

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles