• How to use this section. To the thread starter: Once you are satisfied with the answer that youve been given, click the Trophy on the left hand side of the message. This will rate this answer as the 'Best Answer' and will change the question status from 'Unanswerd' to 'Answered'. All members can also upvote an answer with the 'Up' arrow, this will help identify the best answer.

Answered Fork Choice

mas

Apr 3, 2020
Australia
Bought a Merida eone sixty ltd edition with a Rockshox 35 Gold which I am looking to upgrade as it doesnt feel that great. For under $1000 AUD the choices are:
- Fox 36 second hand
- Rockshox Ultimate second hand
- Suntour Durolux RC2 New
- Marzocchi Z1 Second hand

I liked the grip damper on my old fork which the Marz has and the 8000 model above my bike has the Marz Z1 but it says it is ebike specific, which the above one isnt, and I cant find any info on their website about what that means.

Which would you get and why?

Thanks
MAS

Lem

Nov 12, 2020
Australia
Hi Maz,

I also purchased a bike (GT sensor Carbon) with the 35 Gold which i didn't think was that great, had a awful lot of stiction. I have since replaced with a Durolux RC2 which I found to be a excellent fork. I have a older FOX 36 RCL FIT fork on another bike and I find durolux is stiffer, better dampened and a little more supple. Just be sure get the correct negative spring for your weight if you get the non EQ version.

Before purchase I had also demoed some bikes, one with 2020 fox 36 grip and the other Z1, unfortunately not back to back with the Durolux but from memory Id say the durolux has comparable performance to the 36 Grip.

You can also do a service with only a 250mm adjustable wrench (however i would recommend getting a torque wrench) which is a plus.

I'd stay away from second hand FOX/RS products as the CSUs can creak and you wont be covered by the manufacture.

If you go the durolux and add anything extra to your cart free shipping (orders over $450) will disappear, if this happens just email sales and they'll give you a refund.

Hope that helps

cheers

lem

Lem

Nov 12, 2020
Australia
Can you get DVO suspension in OZ?
Yes you Can, here

You can also buy direct from DVO, You'll likely pay a bit more for shipping and what not.

I myself have a Topaz rear, its been great!

mas

Apr 3, 2020
Australia
Hi Maz,

I also purchased a bike (GT sensor Carbon) with the 35 Gold which i didn't think was that great, had a awful lot of stiction. I have since replaced with a Durolux RC2 which I found to be a excellent fork. I have a older FOX 36 RCL FIT fork on another bike and I find durolux is stiffer, better dampened and a little more supple. Just be sure get the correct negative spring for your weight if you get the non EQ version.

Before purchase I had also demoed some bikes, one with 2020 fox 36 grip and the other Z1, unfortunately not back to back with the Durolux but from memory Id say the durolux has comparable performance to the 36 Grip.

You can also do a service with only a 250mm adjustable wrench (however i would recommend getting a torque wrench) which is a plus.

I'd stay away from second hand FOX/RS products as the CSUs can creak and you wont be covered by the manufacture.

If you go the durolux and add anything extra to your cart free shipping (orders over $450) will disappear, if this happens just email sales and they'll give you a refund.

Hope that helps

cheers

lem
Thanks for the reply Lem. I was so close to getting the Durolux but actually ended up going with the Marz Z1 as it was brand new and a little cheaper. It is significantly better than the 35 but am now thinking about converting it to coil.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles