• How to use this section. To the thread starter: Once you are satisfied with the answer that youve been given, click the Trophy on the left hand side of the message. This will rate this answer as the 'Best Answer' and will change the question status from 'Unanswerd' to 'Answered'. All members can also upvote an answer with the 'Up' arrow, this will help identify the best answer.

Answered Fork advice

MitchF

E*POWAH Elite
Jun 1, 2019
Mirokumk38
I'm looking to upgrade my fork.
Currently Rockshox Recon RL 130mm - 110/15 - 51 off set - 1 1/8 - 1 1/5 tapered.
Question is, I want to go up to 150mm, do I need to match the 51 off set or reduce to 46 ?

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
Can't you just extend the travel with the fork you already have? Then the question of offset does not apply and you save yourself a load of money.
I'm asking anyone to comment because I may have misunderstood when I read that some Rockshox forks have the functionality to adjust the travel by adding/removing spacers.

Chriss111

Jan 16, 2020
Sweden
I'm borrowing this thread :)

I'm in the same situation that I want to change my current Rockshoxs Recon 130mm 29" 51mm entry level fork to a Fox fork but only raise the travel to 140mm. The big question - will I notice any difference between an offset from 51mm to 44mm?

With more travel do I extend the wheelbase?
And is this accurate? For every 20mm of extended travel, the head angle will be 1 degree slacker

In my case - change from 130mm to 140mm. Change the offset from 51mm to 44mm
The above will change the head angle from 67 to 66.5degrees and will evenout the ground trail.
My bike have 27.5+ tyres. In other works the offset change will not make a difference....

The above are just thoughts and may be very wrong

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
will I notice any difference between an offset from 51mm to 44mm?
After ONE ride. No.
You'll just naturally adapt to the (Very slight) steering response difference.

And yeah. I'd agree.
My bike have 27.5+ tyres. In other works the offset change will not make a difference....
with a shitey plus tyre up front the change in offset/trail is the least of your worries ;)

brash

Jul 19, 2019
Aus
The offset is in the crown, changing the travel will have no effect on the offset. The wheelbase will get larger, the bottom bracket height will rise and the head angle will get slacker, rule of thumb is .5 deg per 10mm increase of axle to crown (or travel) and approx. 2-3mm BB height.

Generally speaking, 10mm of travel increase is fine. 20mm you start to feel some effects of the Geo changes but headtube stress should be OK. 30mm you are on your own.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles