Forest Of Dean, The one with hills... 28 September

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
@AverageJoeMTB did mention new trails, I wonder if he’s up for it.

I’ve only ridden Mallards twice so would definitely be up for that.

Tom_199

Sep 27, 2019
London
@Tom_199 do you know Mallards well?

Reasonably well yes. Its just one pedal up and then just choose which trails you want to ride from the top so dont really need a route as such. probably know 5 trails and just tend to repeat them.

Otherplace ive not been but would be keen to try is the area near mallards pike but on the Cockshoot woods side. Anyone knows if theres a route round there?

Last edited:

Jamer

Aug 10, 2018
Lydney
Open to suggestions. Was there talk of checking out some new trails? Always keen for that? Or mallards pike?
The Forestry Commission have started cutting on Staple Edge a couple of weeks ago, Wookies and Heckler were trashed a week ago so not sure what else is gone now!

StuR

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Patreon
Apr 28, 2018
Forest of Dean
The Forestry Commission have started cutting on Staple Edge a couple of weeks ago, Wookies and Heckler were trashed a week ago so not sure what else is gone now!
Forestry Commission have mullered sections of it . Some trails still ok, but a lot of the flow has been disrupted
Several of the more interesting off piste access up trails have been trashed by them using heavy machinery to access the felling areas.
I was there on Monday and Tomlin climb had about 4 inches of mud in parts.
Both fireroad access trails are fine .
There are some green/blue trails not far from the main start point heading to Ruspidge that are ok and are a blast.
Also a couple of similar grade trails oposite the main entrance to Mallards heading up to Yorkley that are ok and worth a look.
A few others towards Viney Hill , drop down to Soudley by Bluebell woods and then link back up with Mallards
Also a couple at Moseley Green behind Rising Sun Pub , some drop down to Parkend
Nothing gnarly but good fun .
It's all still worth a visit , but not at its best at the mo .Weather hasn't helped though

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
I’m still potentially in. What time you setting off and do you have an approx route in mind?
That sort of depends on you. I don't know Mallards so I'd be relying on your knowledge if we're going to ride that side, otherwise I'll start at Parkend or the Cycle Centre.

Tom_199

Sep 27, 2019
London
How about this for a plan? Set off from trail centre at 10:30 and head out to those trails we did last time where wasteland is and then from there take a judgement about trail conditions and if they aren’t looking too bad ride down to mallards pike or if it’s a mud fest head back and rode some trails at the trail centre where it’s an all weather surface?

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
That works for me. Saves me packing my jet wash too. (y)

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
Weather is looking better on Sunday, does anyone fancy postponing for a day?

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
1572034419673.png

Tom_199

Sep 27, 2019
London
Still on for 10:30 at trail centre then?
So glad we saved this for tomorrow, weather looks way better!
Anyone know if the trail centre sells waterproof socks? Can’t find mine anywhere

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
No idea, but Dean Forest Cycles in Parkend do. You could hit them up first.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles