Forest of Dean experts

• Thread starter Deleted member 2899
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 2899

Any out there, I'm looking for some trail advice. I'm a novice but I have done the Verderers, Launchpad and Freeminers trails several times, and I am now thoroughly obsessed with my new hobby and I would like to move up a gear without getting out of my depth. Mixing my metaphors I know. I thought I understood the grading system green, blue, red, black etc. just like skiing, but the downhill routes use a spot system. So to cut to the chase I'm looking for another downhill that will not kill me, perhaps ones with avoidable obstacles. Do 2 dots equate to red, 3 to black etc.? I am most definitely not ready for the black ones I've seen, far too narrow, steep and gnarly.

Alan

Dax

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 25, 2018
FoD
Most of the official DH trails at FoD are pretty technical and not great to progress on. Luckily there is lots of great off piste which is great for progression.

Dowies is a good place to start. Check out Robs youtube video of the forum group ride where we did a bunch of good medium trails

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
And if you want someone to show you round give us a shout. We’re there most weekends.

D

Deleted member 2899

I've seen Dowies on a trail guide marked as a blue but I have no idea where to find the start.

Alan

Dax

May 25, 2018
FoD
Dowies is between parkend and elwood, easiest way to find the trails there is get a tour from someone who knows the area, but if you look on trailforks they're mostly shown:

A3C659FB-4AED-4A93-A2CD-40BB9409B0DF.jpeg

D

Deleted member 2899

That looks to be well away from the trail centre. Do you park somewhere else?

Dax

May 25, 2018
FoD
Typically I dont park at the trail center because it’s expensive and crowded, but its not a bad ride from there, you can either take the family trail to Parkend and loop up towards Coleford, or go over the hill in the middle.

There’s closer parking options like the cricket pitch in Parkend, on the side of the road across the green in Parkend, or at the forest barrier at the bottom of dowies.

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
There are some good runs between PABA and Parkend though.

D

Deleted member 2899

I recall seeing a map that shows mountain biking is prohibited just beyond the bounds of the trail centre in the direction of Parkend. Is this area "official" is it maintained? I paid £30 for an annual permit, personally I think that's a bit of a bargain and I can feel smug in the knowledge that I'm making a positive contribution to the area. :) It's already paid for itself and besides that I like the vibe at the centre. I even managed get parked over Easter.

Dax

May 25, 2018
FoD
No, they aren’t official trails, yes they are maintained - usually better than the official DH trails.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles