Ford Transit Custom

dobbyhasfriends

🌹Old Bloke 🎸
Subscriber
Sep 19, 2019
Llandovery, Wales
Thanks for all the suggestions. Lots to look at!
but I can’t help lusting over the Leighton Vans T6 transporters ?

View attachment 23229

View attachment 23230

View attachment 23231

View attachment 23232

yea they are nice vans but quite expensive.

depending on the amount of gear you plan to move in the back, I would certainly consider having a bulkhead fitted because if you do crash, all that stuff in the back turns into missiles... even if you have to brake hard it can be scary if all that weight moves around

Dirtnvert

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Sep 25, 2018
BC Canada
The nice thing about the fords van/truck is ,if you look way up under the dash above the pedals behind the steering wheel, there is a switch to activate the heated tailgate.

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
Yeah I’m not a fan of the blue bits.
Mrs H hates it. And all vans.
Ah, but once she realises how easy it is to get in and out. How comfy it is. How much space there is for everyone and you can even get changed on the move if you need to.

And the big one... All the great crap she can get you to bring straight home when you go shopping rather than have it delivered.

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
@Zimmerframe You forgot how horrible they are to drive.
@Rob Hancill you currently drive a premium SUV, all vans are a step down in comfort, ride quality and fuel economy.
Cue all the vanboi fanbois trying to convince you they are as good as a car...
If you really need the space, get a cheap van and keep the posh car.

Dirtnvert

Sep 25, 2018
BC Canada
The nice thing about the fords van/truck is ,if you look way up under the dash above the pedals behind the steering wheel, there is a switch to activate the heated tailgate.
Anyone find it? Keeps your hands warm when youre pushing it back to the dealer

tapatalk_1574306129285.jpeg

stiv674

E*POWAH Elite
Mar 4, 2019
Wiltshire
Of course a van isn't going to be as nice to drive as a decent car, but they are so much better than a lot would think.

I've never had a 'premium' car but as I've already said, I don't miss my car at all.

YrianX

Patreon
Sep 14, 2019
Norway
Last edited:
Dec 18, 2019
UK
I have a 2018 LWB Vivaro Limited Crewcab, which i've converted into a rather spiffing day van, with king size R&R bed, hot water, shower, cooker, large fridge and loads of off grid power. It's the best driving vehicle i've owned, brisk, very quiet and smooth and returns over 40mpg on a run.
It has sufficient bells and whistles to make life aboard comfy, whereas the Fords have loads of kit, some of which is likely to go wrong at some point in the future, especially the heated seats. I do like the Custom's, but i'm tall, so find they have a lack of headroom. The T6 is ok in that department, but the legroom is very poor.
My R&R is set back a little, so rear storage is reduced, but i can get my barge in on an angle, with the front wheel removed. It is a seriously comfy, relaxed and quiet drive. I did the Exmoor Explorer earlier this year, drove to London for an ebay purchase afterwards and then drove back home to Devon, all in the same day. I wasn't tired and could've easily stopped for a kip if I had been.
I also looked at the offerings from other suppliers, but if you look at 10 year old Crafters/Sprinters and Vito's, they're all bleeding rust from various points. If you look at a 10 year old Vivaro, they pretty much all look mint, which is down to having a galvanised body. Those early models did have a reputation for gearboxes made from chocolate, but the later versions don't have many reported faults, other than the injectors seizing, which is due to the small drain holes in the windscreen trough getting blocked and the water flows over onto the head. Other common issues on the Fords/VW's are dual mass flywheel failures, drive shaft failures, numerous electrcal gremlins, rusting door hinges, leaking windscreens etc. Take a look at Honest John's website and the list is very long for both vans, but the Vauxhall has barely a bad word against it, hence why I bought one.
I have been hearing good things about the new Crafter, which is being built back at VW, but is a lot more expensive than my Vivaro, for only a marginal increase in space. I also drive a Sprinter for work and it's rattly, has a noisy diesel engine, lacks modern car comfort and refinement, so I certainly wouldn't buy one of those.

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
I have one golden rule for vans, decent armrests and cupholders, and for me that's where the Vivaro fails, non adjustable armrest that sits too low, and cupholders that the windscreen restricts what you can put in - the are a bargain though, especially as Vaukhall has now switched to the PSA platform so plenty of deals to be had

Dec 18, 2019
UK
I have one golden rule for vans, decent armrests and cupholders, and for me that's where the Vivaro fails, non adjustable armrest that sits too low, and cupholders that the windscreen restricts what you can put in - the are a bargain though, especially as Vaukhall has now switched to the PSA platform so plenty of deals to be had

I have no problems with using Waitrose coffee mugs in my cup holders, but I can see where other cups might struggle. I wasn't aware the competition had adjustable arm rests, but I find mine is ok for me. All vehicle purchases come down to individual preferences/choice and, for me, the Vivaro won out on cost, reliability record, ergonomics for a tall driver and a box shaped body that gives you a defined practical interior space. The T6's sloping sides lose out on that point, with both the Ford and VW A pillars giving a feeling of a cramped cabin accordingly. I was a rarity in the modern car world, buying my van outright with cash, but it did secure me a price i've failed to see any other, same spec, Vivaro come any where near since.
The new PSA van is a whole lot smaller and I do not fit in the drivers seat, as it's way too cramped for my 1.98m. They do look nice though.

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
I have no problems with using Waitrose coffee mugs in my cup holders, but I can see where other cups might struggle. I wasn't aware the competition had adjustable arm rests, but I find mine is ok for me. All vehicle purchases come down to individual preferences/choice and, for me, the Vivaro won out on cost, reliability record, ergonomics for a tall driver and a box shaped body that gives you a defined practical interior space. The T6's sloping sides lose out on that point, with both the Ford and VW A pillars giving a feeling of a cramped cabin accordingly. I was a rarity in the modern car world, buying my van outright with cash, but it did secure me a price i've failed to see any other, same spec, Vivaro come any where near since.
The new PSA van is a whole lot smaller and I do not fit in the drivers seat, as it's way too cramped for my 1.98m. They do look nice though.

Each van has their pluses and minus's, the Vivaro are hard to beat for capacity and value, I personally dont get on with Transporters as I find the pedals are in a weird position for me and give me calf cramp on long journeys,

Lee

Jun 11, 2019
Lancaster
Anyone got one, specifically the crew cab version? Wondering how useful the space in the back is for bikes and stuff.

I think I'm going to get a van at some point in 2020 and replace car, but will definitely need 5 seats! Transit seems like a good option....

Hi Rob

I've bought one but not the crew cab version and I love it, so glad I got it. We got it for days out with the bikes and/or dog and the priority was absolute ease with the bikes, just wanted to be able to push the bikes in and secure them, no messing. I now use it as my main car whilst the wife uses the BMW, I prefer the Custom, if we were going overnight I'd take the motorhome which has a garage.

Good luck, I'm sure you'll enjoy whatever you get.

20190915_150011.jpg

20191202_092923.jpg

20191202_092903.jpg

Rob Rides EMTB

Administrator
Staff member
Subscriber
Jan 14, 2018
Surrey, UK
Hi Rob

I've bought one but not the crew cab version and I love it, so glad I got it. We got it for days out with the bikes and/or dog and the priority was absolute ease with the bikes, just wanted to be able to push the bikes in and secure them, no messing. I now use it as my main car whilst the wife uses the BMW, I prefer the Custom, if we were going overnight I'd take the motorhome which has a garage.

View attachment 23333

View attachment 23334

View attachment 23335
Amazing! So much space you have there.

Paul Mac

Patreon
Subscriber
Jul 9, 2018
Uk
Hi Rob

View attachment 23333

View attachment 23334

View attachment 23335
That looks neat, what is the A frame bike holder you are using?

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles