For you Kenevo fans.

Tim29

Jul 10, 2018
Left the building
The Kenevo even has 180mm, but it is what it is - a category 4 bike.
Doing cat5 jumps with it and complain if something breaks is like ignoring a red light and complain if you get hit by a car.

The other bikes didn't break yet, which is good. But if they are cat 4 as well, i wouldn't count on it for too long.
So asking the kanevo to wistand the same punishment as a Santa Cruz high tower is to much.
The fact that a mid grade stock wheel set can withstand what you claim as a category 5 hit. But a 8,000 long travel suspension can’t??
Is not running a red light and wondering why you got taken out.
It’s more like buying a new sports car and wondering why it won’t stop for the red light and being told you have to slow down bellow 20 before u can stop.
So basically not asking anything of this cat 4 bike that i have witnessed dozens of 130/150 travel bikes do for last 5yrs.
It’s a cat 2-3 jump that was over jumped to flat Not a cat 5.

Dirtnvert

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Sep 25, 2018
BC Canada
No idea what these categories are but I’ve seen a lot of smaller travel trail bikes get thrown off something similar and have been fine . If you’re going to build a 180 travel bike you have to expect that it might do drops like this. This is weak much like their wheels have been forever. Not surprised. I’ve really like a few of their bikes but their parts and support/warrantee has had flaws. Not to mention the whole litigation thing. Too bad really the Levo is something special and if the kenevo had more standover I’d consider that as well, until now

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
The seems to be a bit of anent specialized bent to this thread - you go to any trail centre anywhere in the world and you will see boys and girls blowing though shocks, forks and frames.

The fault here could be as much bad set up or shock adjustment as anything else, aside from vids on here, and on the wider internet, I have seen guys hammering Kenos off big drops and bottoming out the shock on sketchy landings.

Its a good bike, the OP's Fantic is a good bike, but how well they perform and if they break or not is as much down to the rider, the set up, the maintenance, and ultimately technique.

Tim29

Jul 10, 2018
Left the building
The seems to be a bit of anent specialized bent to this thread - you go to any trail centre anywhere in the world and you will see boys and girls blowing though shocks, forks and frames.

The fault here could be as much bad set up or shock adjustment as anything else, aside from vids on here, and on the wider internet, I have seen guys hammering Kenos off big drops and bottoming out the shock on sketchy landings.

Its a good bike, the OP's Fantic is a good bike, but how well they perform and if they break or not is as much down to the rider, the set up, the maintenance, and ultimately technique.
I’m not one to post something just because i saw it happen. I posted this as i know a fair bit about this bikes setup and the rider who rides it.
He bends, scratches and dings less parts then anyone i know. His bike setup is top notch and his maintenance program is better then most race shops.
But i say this, it’s a coil, and he only 168lbs so stock spring is right in spec.
So he couldn’t have run to little air and slammed it.
The only reason i posted is that broke before the stock light duty wheels bent. If the hit was a category 5 jump and gone wrong then the stock wheels should be eggs or exploded
And there still true.
That’s my case and point for this Argument.

Adam Thomas

Apr 25, 2020
Wollongong Australia
Here the second one i have seen this happen to. View attachment 8666
I did the exact same yesterday. Did warranty cover the repair.

Screenshot_20200521-103941_Gallery.jpg

Adam Thomas

Apr 25, 2020
Wollongong Australia
I’m not one to post something just because i saw it happen. I posted this as i know a fair bit about this bikes setup and the rider who rides it.
He bends, scratches and dings less parts then anyone i know. His bike setup is top notch and his maintenance program is better then most race shops.
But i say this, it’s a coil, and he only 168lbs so stock spring is right in spec.
So he couldn’t have run to little air and slammed it.
The only reason i posted is that broke before the stock light duty wheels bent. If the hit was a category 5 jump and gone wrong then the stock wheels should be eggs or exploded
And there still true.
That’s my case and point for this Argument.
I agree 100% with the above comment . I blew up my Öhlins shock pics below. Yes I was jumping my bike. They are made for it. Yes I service and take impeccable care of my expensive bike. Im 95kg with all my gear on so well under the bikes safe working limit. I agree the wheel would have or should have exploded on a hard impact not the shock. My rear wheel is fine no buckle or egg shaped rim.

Screenshot_20200521-103941_Gallery.jpg

CjP

PRIME TIME
Subscriber
Jan 1, 2019
Everywhere
My cousin broke mine in exactly the same spot but he cased a timber jump so hard I’m surprised the bike didn’t snap. Otherwise I’ve put mine through some pretty gnarly shit and never had an issue. Either you had a defective shock or the bolt holding the shock link wasn’t done up tight. The shock is defiantly more than up to the task otherwise.

Adam Thomas

Apr 25, 2020
Wollongong Australia
My cousin broke mine in exactly the same spot but he cased a timber jump so hard I’m surprised the bike didn’t snap. Otherwise I’ve put mine through some pretty gnarly shit and never had an issue. Either you had a defective shock or the bolt holding the shock link wasn’t done up tight. The shock is defiantly more than up to the task otherwise.
Specialized are all over it no issues with warranty. I'm so happy with there warranty support.

cozzy

Aug 11, 2019
Basingstoke UK
I was advised by a highly regarded shop when my expert came with the fox van instead of the ohlins to keep the fox as it was a more durable shock. Certainly the shaft is a much bigger diameter.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles