Focus Warranty claims: Jam2, 6months old

ggrin

Feb 11, 2019
Scotland
Anyone had any Focus warranty issues?
My Jam squared C plus (6 month old 1500 miles) stopped working while climbing up hill: error E010.
Had this error few times intermittently but it has always cleared after a reset. This time it wouldn't clear so returned to lbs who cleaned up and reconnected battery but still not working. Lbs has sent photos to Focus but I have had no word yet. So far its been in shop for a frustrating week.
Just wondering how others have got on with Focus warranty claims?

Eckythump

Founding Member
Jan 16, 2018
North Yorkshire
Had the main battery sorted out a few weeks back without issue and frustratingly dropped it off again today as the TEC pack is now playing up.
Before that I had the best part of two years trouble free ownership.

SquireRides

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Sep 4, 2018
UK
Unfortunately a week (or more) seems pretty standard when you have to go back to a bike company or drive unit supplier to get support or parts...

It took Evans Cycles and Bosch nearly 3 weeks to sort my drive unit on a Cube.

So this delay is not unique to Focus.

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
My 4.5Amp battery charger issue was agreed by the shop, but Focus insisted it was a battery problem and it needed changing. It was all free and zero hassle, but the bike was out of commission for ten days (fortunately, one week of that was me on hols). The shop gave me a 4Amp charger because they agreed it was the 4.5Amp that was the problem, not the battery. This charging issue has been extensively covered in the Focus forum.

On Sunday, I had the display go dark on me, later diagnosed as one of the wires between display and motor failing due to "crimping". It is believed that when the battery was replaced, the fitter damaged the wire. The symptom was power "on" but no display, intermittently flashing on/off as the bars were moved and putting tension on the wire. If the shop had had a wire in stock, they would have dealt with it same day. As it was, they had to add two days for delivery and then completed the work the following morning (motor and battery out).

Reactions: MsO

ggrin

Feb 11, 2019
Scotland
Warranty repair update: lbs replaced my battery from stock bike, because Focus batteries need to come by special courier from Germany and it takes 10 to 14 days.
Bike still not working so new motor needed.
Shimano distributor, Madison, would not approve replacement motor till old one returned to them, but again lbs cannibalised a stock bike to get me a new motor so I could get back on the hills. Overall took about 10 days to sort out, but seemed like good service from lbs.
I did pay a wee bit over the cheapest Internet price for my bike from lbs so I would get better warranty support.
PS. New motor noticeably quieter than original.

Jollyjoiner

Oct 14, 2018
Chesterfield
Had the main battery sorted out a few weeks back without issue and frustratingly dropped it off again today as the TEC pack is now playing up.
Before that I had the best part of two years trouble free ownership.
What problems did you have with your battery ? mine has started to lose range quite a bit now after 3000 miles in nearly two years, still under warranty. Did you go back to the shop you bought it from or did you contact Focus ? Cheers

Eckythump

Founding Member
Jan 16, 2018
North Yorkshire
What problems did you have with your battery ? mine has started to lose range quite a bit now after 3000 miles in nearly two years, still under warranty. Did you go back to the shop you bought it from or did you contact Focus ? Cheers
The main battery died, no response from it. Suspected BMS failure. The TEC pack would run down 3 bars ok then just shut down.
I contacted JE James Rotherham where I bought it and the sorted it out both times without issue. Did take a while particularly the replacement TEC pack.

Jollyjoiner

Oct 14, 2018
Chesterfield
The main battery died, no response from it. Suspected BMS failure. The TEC pack would run down 3 bars ok then just shut down.
I contacted JE James Rotherham where I bought it and the sorted it out both times without issue. Did take a while particularly the replacement TEC pack.
My problem is different, my bikes internal battery is dropping it's first couple of bars a lot faster now than it used to, one of my local routes I could get 5 or 6 miles on first bar but now it's just about 2 miles.

Eckythump

Founding Member
Jan 16, 2018
North Yorkshire
Might be worth having a look in the manual for the battery calibration procedure and going through that. Other than that try going down the warranty route before it runs out.

Jollyjoiner

Oct 14, 2018
Chesterfield
Might be worth having a look in the manual for the battery calibration procedure and going through that. Other than that try going down the warranty route before it runs out.
Yeah tried that, flattening the battery so it stops, then pressing button for a second then charging, not made any difference :(

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles