Focus Thron - Rear Axle Question

tomato paste

Mar 18, 2019
Germany

tomato paste

Mar 18, 2019
Germany
Thanks for the tip, we also tried the M12x1.75 and the threads fit--however, I'm not sure if it's long enough.

1594718279957.png

On my spectral the axle adapter extends beyond the frame by 1-2mm:

1594718459704.png

But on my wife's Thron, the axle we're replacing is clearly 180mm, while the apater itself (says it fits 174-180mm) is actually about 175mm. The result is there are two unused threads on the frame, so the axle is just a touch too short. Is this safe, my instinct says no, and my memory of the instructions is that the axle should extend beyond the frame by up to 2mm?

1594718609490.png

If it is too short, then Thule's "up to 180mm" compatibility is a bit off, and I guess I use the the "up to 192mm" adapter instead?

GrahamPaul

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Nov 6, 2019
Andalucía
Thanks for the tip, we also tried the M12x1.75 and the threads fit--however, I'm not sure if it's long enough.

But on my wife's Thron, the axle we're replacing is clearly 180mm, while the apater itself (says it fits 174-180mm) is actually about 175mm. The result is there are two unused threads on the frame, so the axle is just a touch too short. Is this safe, my instinct says no, and my memory of the instructions is that the axle should extend beyond the frame by up to 2mm?

If it is too short, then Thule's "up to 180mm" compatibility is a bit off, and I guess I use the the "up to 192mm" adapter instead?

That's a bummer :( That is not a cheap axle/bolt.

However, you should be in with a good chance for a refund claim because it is only 175mm and is therefore not fit for the advertised purpose.

I think I'd rather go that route than to torque a bolt which does not fully engage all the threads on a nut.

tomato paste

Mar 18, 2019
Germany
I know, the link you posted seems a much more reasonable price. We're ordering the 'next size up' (I think!).

Funny thing about Thule Thru Axle Adaptors, for anyone else watching the thread, is that the dimensions they give are not accurate AT ALL. The axle we purchased is listed in the spec sheet as 207mm total length, is actually 189mm. And the "compatible axle lengths" corresponding measurments (174 or 180mm) are not relevant at all. Really questioning who is running that part of their shop... o_O

UPDATE: The 174/180mm should have fit--it turns out the axle hole, as it was bored by Focus, was too small a diameter for the Thule axle. Alternatively, it is possible that the Thule axle head was manufactured slightly too large for the axle hole. Whether the incompatibility was due to Focus or Thule, the axle head was 1mm too thick, which resulted in the length of the axle reaching about 5mm too short as the head wouldn't go into the axle hole. We asked a bike shop what they thought, and we had 2 options: either use a much longer Thule axle with spacers, or grind down the axle that wouldn't fit. We went with using a longer axle (192mm) and slid 2-3 spacers on the shaft to ensure it was snug. We used the bike for pulling the trailer for several trips without any issues. It works well.

Last edited:

flipa

Aug 4, 2020
Yorkshire
This thread was really helpful when trying to identify which rear axle I needed for my Thron2 to attach a kids trailer.

For anybody else looking this one fits perfectly:

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles