Focus Thron 6.8. Opinion

N700RAS

Jul 14, 2018
Uk
Hi Folks. I'm just about to press the buy it now on a 2020 Thron 6.8 non EQP and would appreciate views on the bike and spec for my intended use. I'm knocking on the door of 50 so I'm not likely to be flying through the air or doing extreme downhill but wanted something that will be good on the trails (Eg Shewrood Pines / Cannock Chase), good for bike touring and something I can fit a rack on, have a second set of wheels with some more road orientated tyres and throw some panniers over to commute to work. This seems to fit the bill (stock rack available and mounting points) as a good all rounder 'Jack of All Trades' with obvious compromises of being master of none, but then unless I buy two bikes then that's the deal and it's probably better than me and the type of riding I do. Any thoughts and comments would be greatly appreciated.

GrahamPaul

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Nov 6, 2019
Andalucía
My missus has the 6.7 EQP (so comes with pannier rack, lights and mudguards pre-installed).
What you describe fits the bike to a tee.
The fittings are all there for your rack later on.
The bike is really comfy and climbs well too.

N700RAS

Jul 14, 2018
Uk
My missus has the 6.7 EQP (so comes with pannier rack, lights and mudguards pre-installed).
What you describe fits the bike to a tee.
The fittings are all there for your rack later on.
The bike is really comfy and climbs well too.
Appreciated. Many thanks for the feedback. ??

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
@N700RAS Warning, a contradiction: Your OP says "non EQP", but refers to the benefits of panniers etc. But only the EQP version comes with the fittings, according to the Focus website.

The Thron2 looks like a good bike for your requirements.

PS: Get the green one! :)

GrahamPaul

Nov 6, 2019
Andalucía
@N700RAS Warning, a contradiction: Your OP says "non EQP", but refers to the benefits of panniers etc. But only the EQP version comes with the fittings, according to the Focus website.

The Thron2 looks like a good bike for your requirements.

PS: Get the green one! :)

The Focus website (at least in Spanish and German) does say:

"Los extras pueden añadirse más adelante a los modelos básicos."
"Alle nicht ausgestatteten Modelle lassen sich nachrüsten. "

Which should, I think, translates as the extras can be added to the basic models later.

(I just went to the "int" site to check and it also says: "Features can be added to basic models at a later date.")

I agree, the green is lovely.

N700RAS

Jul 14, 2018
Uk
Thanks fellas. Want the non EQP as oddly the spec is better than the EQP for the same cash (has Rockshox Recon on the front). I ain’t bothered about all the lights and stuff just the rack but as you guys say the non EQP does have the options to retro fit a rack, stand and guards. The mind is made up albeit I have gone for grey so I don’t have to buy all new riding gear and helmet ?. I do agree that the green is an nice colour though. #dilemma. Thanks for the views ??

Jugglematt

Jun 29, 2020
Australia
Hi folks
Following on fron the discussion re the focus thron 2 and panniers.
I have ordered a thron 2 6.8 , i will be mainly using thr bike on local trails with some touring . I have been trying to find some information on the rear pannier rack to fit the bike . No luck re availablty or price . I cant seem to find much information on the focus website . Anyone have an idea of the price and availability ?

Thanks
Matt

GrahamPaul

Nov 6, 2019
Andalucía
Hi folks
Following on fron the discussion re the focus thron 2 and panniers.
I have ordered a thron 2 6.8 , i will be mainly using thr bike on local trails with some touring . I have been trying to find some information on the rear pannier rack to fit the bike . No luck re availablty or price . I cant seem to find much information on the focus website . Anyone have an idea of the price and availability ?

Thanks
Matt

I've attached the exploded diagram for the Thron 2 EQP which shows the rack and the part numbers. Ask your Focus dealer to price out the parts for you. The exploded diagrams for all Focus models are available by scrolling down this web page : Focus Bikes - FAQ

fo20_explo_website_thron2_eq.jpg

Lovely

Oct 12, 2020
North West Ireland
Hijack Alert!!!! Quick question, can off-road tyres be fitted to the Thron 6.7 EQP?

Many thanks, guys...

Jugglematt

Jun 29, 2020
Australia
Hijack Alert!!!! Quick question, can off-road tyres be fitted to the Thron 6.7 EQP?

Many thanks, guys...
you just have to be aware of clearance , so perhaps go into your local bike shop.

flipa

Aug 4, 2020
Yorkshire

Many thanks, guys...

I’ve added maxis rekon to my EQP. Not the largest or gnarliest tyre out there but certainly more grip than the standard road tyre. I did need to adjust the front guard a bit but this was more an issue with it not being fitted totally straight to begin with.

Not had any issues with it at all, both out on the moors and the local bike park.

tomato paste

Mar 18, 2019
Germany
The Thron2 comes with a SR Suntour rear shock, 190x45.

Any idea if it's possible to swap in a 230x60 Fox? I have a spare Fox DPS performance lying around and was hoping I could just pop it in. Not sure if that's a good idea though, geometry/performance wise...

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
The Thron2 comes with a SR Suntour rear shock, 190x45.

Any idea if it's possible to swap in a 230x60 Fox? I have a spare Fox DPS performance lying around and was hoping I could just pop it in. Not sure if that's a good idea though, geometry/performance wise...
That will not fit, anywhere close. The first dimension is what is called the "eye-to-eye" measurement. It is the length of the shock fully extended taken from the centre of the bushings (the eyes). The second dimension is the amount of travel the shock compresses. So the Fox will fully compress to 170mm.

So if you compress your 230x60 shock by 40mm, it will fit into the space in your bike (if other clearances allow it to do so). But it will only give you 20mm of travel, because that is all there is left. The problem is when it tries to extend, the rear triangle of your bike may well hit parts of the frame it is clearly not intended to, damage may result.

tomato paste

Mar 18, 2019
Germany
That will not fit, anywhere close. The first dimension is what is called the "eye-to-eye" measurement. It is the length of the shock fully extended taken from the centre of the bushings (the eyes). The second dimension is the amount of travel the shock compresses. So the Fox will fully compress to 170mm.

So if you compress your 230x60 shock by 40mm, it will fit into the space in your bike (if other clearances allow it to do so). But it will only give you 20mm of travel, because that is all there is left. The problem is when it tries to extend, the rear triangle of your bike may well hit parts of the frame it is clearly not intended to, damage may result.

Thanks. Is it possible to send this shock back to Fox to alter its dimensions? Or do folks just purchase the correct shock off the shelf and accumulate shock hardware over time as dimensions change...

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
Thanks. Is it possible to send this shock back to Fox to alter its dimensions? Or do folks just purchase the correct shock off the shelf and accumulate shock hardware over time as dimensions change...
Although Fox may be able to shim the travel by 5mm or so, they will be unable to make such gross adjustments as you are seeking. I don't know about others on here, but I do not buy new shocks off the shelf and therefore accumulate surplus shocks*. Until very recently, I have stuck with the shock that came with the bike and the most I have done with it is air spring tuning or maybe a different design air can, or both. Significant changes in performance can be achieved that way.

Note* For the first time in my mtb/emtb life I have recently bought a new shock. I bought it because despite everything I did to the one that came with my bike I was still dissatisfied - I wanted more than the shock could give. So now I have a spare 210x55. I had intended to keep it to reinstall on the bike before I sold it, but then I'd still have a shock to sell (albeit a better and newer one). But I cannot see me selling my bike for years yet, so I have recently decided to sell that shock. The current spares climate is probably good for that.

Akelu

Jul 31, 2020
Australia
Anyone buying a Thron with shimano 12 speed cassette, make sure that the chainring has 'SH12 megatooth' printed on the front. There are a lot of Throns out there with 11 speed chainring (just 'megatooth' without SH12). My guess is because of coronavirus stock issues they decided to use the wrong chainring so they can sell the bikes and deal with any problems that pop up later.
It was a very stressful experience for me trying to troubleshoot my chain suck.

Ensure it is this chainring before purchasing: https://www.emtbforums.com/community/attachments/thron-chainring-png.57013/
Or, make sure that they swap it out before you buy it, Focus can send the correct chainring. They originally replaced the chainring with another 11 speed chainring, before i pointed out that FSA themselves advised that the supplied chainring is not compatible with 12 speed chain.

Also, when you purchase the bike make sure that the gears all properly switch up and down the length of the casette without delay or finesse. As it turns out my gear switcher on the handlebar was faulty. Store said 'its normal it will wear in' - no, it was not normal, it did not wear in, and it was also very stressful to troubleshoot and fix.

Last edited:

niczoom

Aug 24, 2020
Adelaide
Anyone buying a Thron with shimano 12 speed cassette, make sure that the chainring has 'SH12 megatooth' printed on the front.
Interesting. I Had the exact same issue you did with "chainsuck". I have the "fsa megatooth g4" chainring, I cant find any info on the G4 chainring, google search didn't really present much at all. I cannot see it on fsa website either. It hasn't happened for a few weeks now, I have been cleaning and re-lubing the chain which seemed to stop the issue. Or perhaps the resulting wear also played a part in resolving it.

Akelu

Jul 31, 2020
Australia
Yes, you wont find much information on the g4 chainring its an OEM product - only supplied direct from FSA to manufacturers. I spoke to FSA directly, they looked up the part number and advised me specifically that the g4 megatooth chainring is NOT compatible with 12 speed shimano chain, and IS the cause of any chainsuck. The teeth are simply too large (you can see by comparing the teeth on your G4 megatooth chainring to the one in the picture above - completely different!)

Even though the actual 'suck' may not be happening for now, i advise you contact focus and have the chainring replaced anyway, because the tolerance on hyperglide+ 12 speed chain is so small, that its probably causing issues anyway. Replacing the chainring caused my entire drivetrain to feel completely different, much, much smoother. Like a whole new bike. The original g4 megatooth chainring was just holding on too tightly to the chain, replacing it made riding feel so much more pleasant. You will also need to replace the chain at the same time as the chainring would have warped the chain a bit because the teeth are too wide.

niczoom

Aug 24, 2020
Adelaide
Good news. Thanks to your post above regarding the incorrect chainring. I contacted my LBS who contacted Focus Australia and am now getting it replaced along with a new chain under warranty.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles