Focus TEC Pack

Andy A

Patreon
Jan 13, 2019
North Yorkshire
I am picking my Jam 2 up this Saturday and I negotiated the tec pack as part of the deal and I will only use it on a long ride but it will be great to know I have it just in case ?

Shaun

May 12, 2018
Saint Mary Bourne
I am picking my Jam 2 up this Saturday and I negotiated the tec pack as part of the deal and I will only use it on a long ride but it will be great to know I have it just in case ?
I picked my Jam2 up last Friday but they didn't have any TEC packs available. Just the one ride so far of 25 miles which depleted the internal battery. I like to ride for longer so will likely get a TEC pack as the bike encourages you to ride more. I'll have to compare my Levo battery consumption against the Focus Jam2 when I get a chance. Battery size is 25% smaller on the Focus internal vs the Levo. I have been getting 40+ mile rides out of the Levo so in theory should get at least 30 from the Focus. Should be slightly more given the lower weight of the Focus.

Anyone else already done a A to B comparison between other bikes under like for like conditions?

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
I got my TEC pack at cost, I have only used it twice when I was trying to run down the integrated battery and it was my back up as I wasn't too sure where it would go into sleep mode. But I've only had the bike a few weeks.

The TEC pack may come in handy because when I ran down the integrated battery, it wouldn't charge up! That is in process of being resolved, but in the meantime at least I can still ride the bike. :)

Shaun

May 12, 2018
Saint Mary Bourne
I got my TEC pack at cost, I have only used it twice when I was trying to run down the integrated battery and it was my back up as I wasn't too sure where it would go into sleep mode. But I've only had the bike a few weeks.

The TEC pack may come in handy because when I ran down the integrated battery, it wouldn't charge up! That is in process of being resolved, but in the meantime at least I can still ride the bike. :)
I read with interest your battery charging issues. I hope it gets resolved quickly for you. I think I’ll go hunting for a TEC pack and carry it in my backpack as I agree with you it upsets the bikes clean looks..

Macone

E*POWAH Master
Oct 28, 2018
Wellington New Zealand
I use mine regularly. I can flatten a battery on 16 to 18km of serious hills in turbo mode but I can also get 71kms out of a battery on flatter road rides in eco mode. Mostly about 40kms out of a battery in mixed terrain in trail mode. no noticeable difference in range between integrated battery and TEC pack. I normally alternate which battery I start out on. Don't allow extra range in your calculation based on the Focus being lighter than your previous bike. The motor is assisting the combination of your bike weight and also your weight. so perhaps 2kg difference is insignificant as a percentage of total weight.(that can be the difference between a full or empty camel back bladder).

Andy A

Patreon
Jan 13, 2019
North Yorkshire
Hi guys I am getting mine this Saturday can I ask how the Tec pack works, if I go out on a long ride and my main battery runs out does it switch to the Tec pack automatically or do you have to manually switch it over, also if your main battery is really low but you don't want to run it out completely can you switch it to the Tec pack anytime you want to?

Sorry for sounding dim but I have no idea how it works :)

Shaun

May 12, 2018
Saint Mary Bourne
Hi guys I am getting mine this Saturday can I ask how the Tec pack works, if I go out on a long ride and my main battery runs out does it switch to the Tec pack automatically or do you have to manually switch it over, also if your main battery is really low but you don't want to run it out completely can you switch it to the Tec pack anytime you want to?

Sorry for sounding dim but I have no idea how it works :)

Hi Andy,
My understanding is that the motor will depleat the TEC pack first and then you need to disconnect the TEC pack and it will run off the internal pack. I did read somewhere where someone said the changeover was automatic but I don't think this is the case as the control display I believe only see's one battery at a time.

I'm sure those who use the TEC packs can confirm or correct the above.

Its all a learning curve. :)

Andy A

Patreon
Jan 13, 2019
North Yorkshire
Hi Andy,
My understanding is that the motor will depleat the TEC pack first and then you need to disconnect the TEC pack and it will run off the internal pack. I did read somewhere where someone said the changeover was automatic but I don't think this is the case as the control display I believe only see's one battery at a time.

I'm sure those who use the TEC packs can confirm or correct the above.

Its all a learning curve. :)

Ahh well I am sure someone will be along soon to explain all :)

I am really looking forward to picking it up as I was dead set against an ebike :)

OldBean

E*POWAH Elite
Patreon
Apr 28, 2018
East anglia
I am trying very hard NOT to buy a TEc pack (too£££) but I am riding further these days and I can see that come the warmer months I will exhaust the integrated battery so one is now on my list.
I dont care about the looks because pedalling a “dead” ebike too far can be a bit of a pain !
Any dealers on here want to help,out a poor old pensioner with a good deal?:cry:

bissona

Patreon
Oct 14, 2018
Guernsey
Have had both bike and TEC pack since August, and use the TEC pack c.60% of the time. Love it, just the right solution for me. Quick 60-90 min thrash = no TEC, weekend 3-5 hr ride = TEC. The only issue is the look of it, but everything is a compromise in some way..

Was discussing buying another the other day for some proper exploring when in more mountainous regions, but it's only an idea at this stage as funding is non-existent! Would love it if Focus released a larger version based on the new 21700 cells. 700Wh TEC to give a total 1KWh....

Andy A

Patreon
Jan 13, 2019
North Yorkshire
Have had both bike and TEC pack since August, and use the TEC pack c.60% of the time. Love it, just the right solution for me. Quick 60-90 min thrash = no TEC, weekend 3-5 hr ride = TEC. The only issue is the look of it, but everything is a compromise in some way..

Was discussing buying another the other day for some proper exploring when in more mountainous regions, but it's only an idea at this stage as funding is non-existent! Would love it if Focus released a larger version based on the new 21700 cells. 700Wh TEC to give a total 1KWh....

I know it doesn't look brilliant but I would rather have the extra battery with the dodgy looks any day :)

akkypac

Patreon
Jun 2, 2018
East Surrey
Ahh well I am sure someone will be along soon to explain all :)

I am really looking forward to picking it up as I was dead set against an ebike :)
As a TEC pack owner, I can confirm that it acts as a completely separate battery to the internal one when connected. Once almost depleted, the Shimano STEPS indicator turns red and, if left until depleted, will turn to an 'off status. At that point, you'll need to switch off completely, disconnect the short battery cable and switch back on again. This will then initiate the internal battery power and give you a whole new 378 Wh lease of life!

akkypac

Patreon
Jun 2, 2018
East Surrey
As @Shaun stated in fact! (If you also happen to get a Wahoo ELEMNT GPS device and pair this to your ebike, this also gives you an audible and visual indicator of the battery status which is nice.)

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
You can choose which battery to use first.
If you want to exhaust the frame battery first, with the Tec pack in place, just don't connect it to the bike with the RoPD connector. Once the frame battery has been used up, switch off, connect the Tec pac and away you go!
Alternatively, connect the TEC pack and go ride until it gets used up, then switch off, disconnect the RoPD connector and then switch back on again to use the frame battery.

Did you know that the RoPD connector has a storage location under the top tube? One end goes in the charging socket, the other end clicks into a special fitting, also under the the tube. Nobody told me about that and I didn't see it in the manual, I found it when washing the bike.

highpeakrider

E*POWAH Master
Aug 10, 2018
Peak District
It’s quite interesting if your riding the bike you don’t see the TEC pack, so are people actually worried about other people looking at the bike and thinking it looks crap?
The only time I see it is getting the bike ready and stopping for a quick break.

akkypac

Patreon
Jun 2, 2018
East Surrey
If you want to exhaust the frame battery first, with the Tec pack in place, just don't connect it to the bike with the RoPD connector. Once the frame battery has been used up, switch off, connect the Tec pac and away you go!
Alternatively, connect the TEC pack and go ride until it gets used up, then switch off, disconnect the RoPD connector and then switch back on again to use the frame battery.

Did you know that the RoPD connector has a storage location under the top tube? One end goes in the charging socket, the other end clicks into a special fitting, also under the the tube. Nobody told me about that and I didn't see it in the manual, I found it when washing the bike.
Good point @steve_sordy about the 'special fitting' for the short cable. Thankfully I was shown by my local bike shop. My question regarding this is why don't they provide a closing magnetic thingummy (not sure what it's called) to seal it off when not in use? Seems like it could be prone to mud, dirt etc. when not in use.

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
Good point @steve_sordy about the 'special fitting' for the short cable. Thankfully I was shown by my local bike shop. My question regarding this is why don't they provide a closing magnetic thingummy (not sure what it's called) to seal it off when not in use? Seems like it could be prone to mud, dirt etc. when not in use.

They should provide a Rosenberg RoPD magnetic connector for the charging point, it probably came with the bike and got chucked away with all the packaging and random bits that seem to get chucked in when first packing the bike. I don't feel the need for a magnetic connector for the parking place, it is just a shallow depression with a loose connected metal disc at the bottom for the magnet to cling to.

highpeakrider

E*POWAH Master
Aug 10, 2018
Peak District

@steve_sordy its covered in the TEC pack manual section 3.3.7 Remove connector and shows 2 pictures.

Eckythump

Founding Member
Jan 16, 2018
North Yorkshire
Think I’ve used my TEC pack twice in two years.
The quick disconnect bottle rack that comes with it on the other hand I use loads when I don’t want to cart round a pack.

Andy A

Patreon
Jan 13, 2019
North Yorkshire
I hopefully get mine next week and I know I won't use the TEC pack often but when I do need it it won't bother me that it doesn't look great but to know I have over 700wh of battery will more than compensate :)

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
It's all to do with vanity :cool:
I can see why some may think that, but it ain't necessarily so! :unsure:

I have always liked to be able to look back at the bike (or car) as I walk away from it and think "yeah that looks nice!" I call it the look back factor. I don't believe it is vanity, just an appreciation of what looks nice (to my eyes at least). :love:

Shaun

May 12, 2018
Saint Mary Bourne
Received my TEC pack yesterday and used it today for some fun in the snow. Now that I have seen it in person I am okay with the looks, especially with the matching blue accents. Need the snow gone now so I can get some longer rides in and enjoy the 756 watts true potential.

IMG_4615.JPG

Nifty 56

Dec 13, 2018
Lytham St.Annes
I can see why some may think that, but it ain't necessarily so! :unsure:

I have always liked to be able to look back at the bike (or car) as I walk away from it and think "yeah that looks nice!" I call it the look back factor. I don't believe it is vanity, just an appreciation of what looks nice (to my eyes at least). :love:

But ain't that what vanity is... the definition of vanity:rolleyes:

Anyway... I was only 'joking' :coffee:

Last edited:

Nifty 56

Dec 13, 2018
Lytham St.Annes
I haven't got a Jam 2 (yet) but only considering one for having a TEC pack for longer rides.

I have a Vitus E-Sommet and was considering buying another Shimano BT-E8010 battery but would have to carry it in my backpack. I've feels OK but haven't tried riding with it in yet.

I would then have 1000Wh with carrying a spare battery and that sounds really good! It would be cheaper than buying a Jam 2 + TEC pack and I would go for the 29er as that would be slightly better for XC that the 27.5" Vitus.

I was also thinking of buying a Canyon Neuron:On 5 (29er) which uses the same Shimano BT-E8010 battery. I could then have two bikes and have 1000Wh a possibility with both :love:

Keisari66

May 1, 2019
Finland
Where am I supposed to put the cable on Sam2 when the external battery is depleted? There’s no such hole/recess as the Jam2 has. Backpack?

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles