Focus TEC Pack

S D

Mar 26, 2019
Shelley
I have the TEC pack , not used it yet as I’ve never managed to flatten the frame battery, as others have said ,when the weather gets better I may ride longer but I’m managing 4-6 hours at the moment so no need.
Glad someone put up a pic of the battery with the blue protectors fitted as I could not make up my mind which ones to use (black or blue)

valium64

Sep 16, 2018
Massa, Italy
I have the TEC pack , not used it yet as I’ve never managed to flatten the frame battery, as others have said ,when the weather gets better I may ride longer but I’m managing 4-6 hours at the moment so no need.
Glad someone put up a pic of the battery with the blue protectors fitted as I could not make up my mind which ones to use (black or blue)

Here mine Sam2 with TEC in blue protector vest.
View attachment 13645
Screenshot_20190510-132113_Gallery.jpg

stiv674

E*POWAH Elite
Mar 4, 2019
Wiltshire
A bit of advice for everyone, although you're probably not as much of a numpty as me :rolleyes: Don't forget to take the lead for the tec pack when you go out for a long ride! :oops:

I realised about 25 miles in that I didn't have it, luckily I had been on mostly eco and even turning the motor off occasionally. I just about managed to get back before it started flashing red, a total of 43.5 miles and 3400ft of ascent.

That did include some road work and the off road sections were all dry. I'm still quite impressed with the bike and myself though! :)

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK

I realised about 25 miles in that I didn't have it, luckily I had been on mostly eco and even turning the motor off occasionally. I just about managed to get back before it started flashing red, a total of 43.5 miles and 3400ft of ascent.

That is GOOD! (y)

Lawson

Mar 11, 2019
UK
What are the chances of modding this to fit other steps equipped bikes? What does the cable and plugs look like?

Or is this a load of crap and I should just forget about it ?

Eckythump

Founding Member
Jan 16, 2018
North Yorkshire
The TEC packs have an RoPD connector with CAN bus connection so is not straight forward.
There are a few companies who make range extenders, one of them is active on the forum (TrailwattsUK) .
If you do a search you should find the threads.

shreddr

Sep 21, 2019
NJ
I like the idea of doubling the range, but would prefer a beefier internal battery. I run the 375 kWh battery to totally dead in 1 hour tops. In my opinion the Eco mode just makes up for the added weight and if you want to fly you need to be in trail, which uses up the juice quick. I also hate the external wire, it looks like an afterthought not an integrated solution.

Gutch

Sep 10, 2018
South Carolina
I have a Tec Pac for sale that’s been used for 3 miles, just can’t ship it! It’s in Travelers Rest, SC and sold the bike. $395.

Luke0770

Sep 8, 2019
Maidenhead
I like the idea of doubling the range, but would prefer a beefier internal battery. I run the 375 kWh battery to totally dead in 1 hour tops. In my opinion the Eco mode just makes up for the added weight and if you want to fly you need to be in trail, which uses up the juice quick. I also hate the external wire, it looks like an afterthought not an integrated solution.

They could of easily put a bigger battery in the frame. The new bosch version has the 600wh+ battery in the frame.
But that's not the point...
It was ment to make the bike more playful on the those shorter rides which most people do. Then when you want to go on an all day ride you just bolt on the tec pack. Or even carry a second tec pack of you really wish!

I think it's a clever idea. I could get a good few hours at my local trails on the internal battery. Then when I go off into to hills I'll take the tec pack.

stiv674

E*POWAH Elite
Mar 4, 2019
Wiltshire
They could of easily put a bigger battery in the frame. The new bosch version has the 600wh+ battery in the frame.
But that's not the point...
It was ment to make the bike more playful on the those shorter rides which most people do. Then when you want to go on an all day ride you just bolt on the tec pack. Or even carry a second tec pack of you really wish!

I think it's a clever idea. I could get a good few hours at my local trails on the internal battery. Then when I go off into to hills I'll take the tec pack.

I agree with that, just a shame they couldn't have made the battery a bit sleeker.

AdH

Feb 2, 2019
Mustang
My tec pack fell off my bike on my first ride, I mustn’t have clipped it on properly. It went into the road and a car ran over it. The outer plastic case was cracked. I glued it back together. It worked fine for 6 months, probably circa 20 rides but then just stopped. I think the Port/ socket on the battery must have been damaged.

I sold the Focus in April, replaced it with a YT Decoy, but I’ve still got the tec pack, cable, case, etc.

An electrician mate of mine took the tec pack apart and agreed that the port/socket on the battery appeared to be faulty but you can’t buy replacements anywhere. The cells are all in good order.

If anyone fancies a project, I’d love to sell the lot, anyone fancy making me an offer? It’s in the UK. I note the battery to bike cable alone retails at £80!

S D

Mar 26, 2019
Shelley
Have any Focus Jam2 or Sam2 owners bought the TEC pack and not used it as much as they initially thought?
I’ve used mine once since I got it 14 months ago, although when I say used it what I actually mean is I clipped it to the bike in anticipation of having to use it.
As it turned out I never actually ran out of internal battery.
I ride mainly in reduced eco with my wife on a clockwork bike .
She can only manage 30 miles a day ?

downhilllister

Dec 26, 2019
nelson new zealand
I’ve used mine once since I got it 14 months ago, although when I say used it what I actually mean is I clipped it to the bike in anticipation of having to use it.
As it turned out I never actually ran out of internal battery.
I ride mainly in reduced eco with my wife on a clockwork bike .
She can only manage 30 miles a day ?
Hi,Think you may find the TECK pack gets used first,Then the main Pack,May wont to put the TECK Pack on the charger mate.:)

MisterMT

Oct 30, 2019
UK
So, for those who used the tec pack, how differently did the bike ride? For my local rides I don’t need it, but i do rather regret not having the option to go on longer treks. And they aren’t that easy to get hold of in the U.K.

stiv674

E*POWAH Elite
Mar 4, 2019
Wiltshire
I've used mine a lot recently, I used to carry it in my backpack until it was needed but recently I've had it on the bike the whole ride, like @steve_sordy I haven't noticed any difference either, I don't use it at bike parks though.

Bear

Jan 4, 2020
Sydney Australia
Slightly off topic but I've been looking at a Jam2 (well looking at lots of new bikes) I saw one Youtube where the reviewer stated that the frame design to allow for the TEC battery caused the top tube to come into contact with the brake levers if the wheel was turned all the way say in a crash... even worse the fork hit the down tube in the same scenario. Can any of you confirm that this is the case? I'm likely to crash (alot) hahaha.
Thank you
Bear

aarfeldt

E*POWAH Master
Subscriber
May 25, 2019
Denmark, Danstrup
Slightly off topic but I've been looking at a Jam2 (well looking at lots of new bikes) I saw one Youtube where the reviewer stated that the frame design to allow for the TEC battery caused the top tube to come into contact with the brake levers if the wheel was turned all the way say in a crash... even worse the fork hit the down tube in the same scenario. Can any of you confirm that this is the case? I'm likely to crash (alot) hahaha.
Thank you
Bear

I have the Focus Jam2 2018 with a Pike 2019 140mm fork standard offset.
Brakes are SLX and the handlebar has 15mm rise.
No parts will hit the frame at any time....just ckeck'ed.

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
When I first test rode a Focus Jam2, the brake levers did contact the top tube. I just moved the spacers from above the stem to below and no further problem. When I eventually bought a Jam2 I asked the mechanic to set it up like that from the start. I have never had a problem with the fork hitting the bike. I can't recall checking, but I'm as sure as I can be without checking that it doesn't / can't. I cant check right now as I've just sent the fork and shock off for a service.

Zero problems for me. Great bike! :love:

Nifty 56

Dec 13, 2018
Lytham St.Annes
When they come in the box, the handlebars are usually not attached and the shop puts the bike together and checks it ready for the customer to ride. It's their fault if anything is hitting the top tube.
Bikes aren't designed to damage themselves but this will happen if they are not put together properly.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles