Focus tec pack not synching with 2018 Jam2

ejacked

May 5, 2019
Breckenridge, CO
I'm not sure why but when I plug in my tec pack the system doesn't recognize the battery and keeps using the down tube battery. When I turn it on the blue indicator lights come on but then go off after about 10 seconds. Any feedback appreciated. Not must in owners manual on funcion.

highpeakrider

E*POWAH Master
Aug 10, 2018
Peak District
I'm not sure why but when I plug in my tec pack the system doesn't recognize the battery and keeps using the down tube battery. When I turn it on the blue indicator lights come on but then go off after about 10 seconds. Any feedback appreciated. Not must in owners manual on funcion.

Maybe stating the obvious but, you have plugged the TEC pack cable in and pressed to 'ON' button on the TEC pack?

The two operate as independent batteries with the bike sensing the TEC pack is turned on and plugged in.

ejacked

May 5, 2019
Breckenridge, CO
Yeah I did that but when I turn on the battery the indicator lights turn blue then shut off after a few seconds. Should the steps screen turn on once the battery is activated? THX Probably just a newbie issue.

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
Install the Tec pack, connect the short cable to the Tec pack and the other end to the charging point of the bike. Then turn on the bike, making sure that nothing touches the pedals. The display should come on as normal, and the Tec pack should be lit up. Ride as normal.

Once the Tec pack has been discharged, or you want to switch to the frame battery, switch off the bike. Then disconnect the cable from the Tec pack and clip that end into the keeper socket further along the top tube (you might not have noticed it). Switch the bike back on and it will be working from the frame battery. TBH, not certain whether you really need to switch off the bike, but it makes sense to me to prevent any current surges causing any problems.

ejacked

May 5, 2019
Breckenridge, CO
So no need to turn on the tec pack? it is sensed automatically? I'll give that a try. the first couple of times I tried to use it the main battery was still being used even though TP was plugged in. Will try again. Thanks for the feedback.

ejacked

May 5, 2019
Breckenridge, CO
Yep newbie issue fixed and working. Next question...anybody running 2.4" tires / more narrow wheels? I like the 2.8s for here in the Colorado rockies but spend a lot of time on smooth flowing long distance single track in Arizona where a more narrow set up might save juice. Any experience out there with wheel durability due to heavy loads on a more narrow set up?

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
Yep newbie issue fixed and working. Next question...anybody running 2.4" tires / more narrow wheels? I like the 2.8s for here in the Colorado rockies but spend a lot of time on smooth flowing long distance single track in Arizona where a more narrow set up might save juice. Any experience out there with wheel durability due to heavy loads on a more narrow set up?

I did in excess of 3000 trail miles on 26x2.2" tyres. That was a clockwork bike that weighed just under 13kg. My riding weight was 92kg, so 105kg total. I cannot believe that another 7-8kg bike weight (less than 8%) will add significantly to tyre wear. So just ride the tyres you need and take the benefit there and then. My tyres tend to get damaged beyond repair before they wear out; those tyres were just lucky - but they each had over two dozen punctures in them that the sealant had blocked.

Samwise

Apr 10, 2019
Hampshire, England
Install the Tec pack, connect the short cable to the Tec pack and the other end to the charging point of the bike. Then turn on the bike, making sure that nothing touches the pedals. The display should come on as normal, and the Tec pack should be lit up. Ride as normal.

Once the Tec pack has been discharged, or you want to switch to the frame battery, switch off the bike. Then disconnect the cable from the Tec pack and clip that end into the keeper socket further along the top tube (you might not have noticed it). Switch the bike back on and it will be working from the frame battery. TBH, not certain whether you really need to switch off the bike, but it makes sense to me to prevent any current surges causing any problems.
Yea best to turn it off, if you pull the cable out it turns off immediately without shutting down. I didn't it accidently whilst riding along at the weekend.

stiv674

E*POWAH Elite
Mar 4, 2019
Wiltshire
Mine has started playing up recently, it won't turn on straight away after putting the tec pack on, it used to be fine... ?

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
There has been some discussion, here and elsewhere, about switching on the Focus. What I have found is that if the bike hasn't been touched for at least an hour, I need to press the "on" button twice. Each time a firm press, sustained for a few seconds. If the bike has been used recently, or even just charged up, then one touch switches it on.

Once (and only once so far), the bike would not switch on at all. It seems that in those circumstances you need to do a "hard reset". This requires you to press the "on button for ten seconds or more. Once the bike comes to life, all is normal.

And don't have anything touching the pedals when switching on, or you get the W013 error.

stiv674

E*POWAH Elite
Mar 4, 2019
Wiltshire
There has been some discussion, here and elsewhere, about switching on the Focus. What I have found is that if the bike hasn't been touched for at least an hour, I need to press the "on" button twice. Each time a firm press, sustained for a few seconds. If the bike has been used recently, or even just charged up, then one touch switches it on.

Once (and only once so far), the bike would not switch on at all. It seems that in those circumstances you need to do a "hard reset". This requires you to press the "on button for ten seconds or more. Once the bike comes to life, all is normal.

And don't have anything touching the pedals when switching on, or you get the W013 error.

That's exactly what I have been doing up until recently, now it has decided to mess me about for some reason. I'm 99% sure I'm not doing anything differently... :confused:

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles