Focus suspension frame pivot bearings

Telemarker

May 4, 2019
Aberdeenshire
Anyone know of anywhere you can buy suspension frame pivot bearing kits, or the bearing numbers, for a 2019 Sam2 ?
Kits available for most other brands of bike when I looked but not focus
So maybe a dealer only option
And anyone replaced any ?

nepper

Oct 5, 2019
Finland
Focus spare part availability from free market seems to be a joke compared to eg. Mondraker or even Nukeproof...

Just take the linkages apart, write down bearing sizes from them (rubber shield, or outer race should have markings eg. 6300 RS) Go to local bearing shop and purchase INA / SKF / FAG / NACHI etc. reputable bearings.

If you do not have bearing shop near just order Enduro bearings: Enduro Bearings

Telemarker

May 4, 2019
Aberdeenshire
Thanks , yeah did that’s with my old Kona In the past, easier as you could see most of bearing codes without too much dismantling. And I made mistake of getting cheap bearings for it once, they didn’t last long...

nepper

Oct 5, 2019
Finland
Here you can see all the parts of your bike. Unfortunately there's just a bearing kit number, no explanations. Better than nothing though :)

Jam2:
https://www.focus-bikes.com/media/gene-cms/f/o/fo20_explo_website_jam2_al-al_7.jpg

Jam 2 Carbon
https://www.focus-bikes.com/media/gene-cms/f/o/fo20_explo_website_jam2_c_al_8.jpg

Sam2:
https://www.focus-bikes.com/media/gene-cms/f/o/fo20_explo_website_focus_sam2_al_1.jpg

If someone finds a dealer who sells these parts easily accross the europe I think many of us would be happy :)

Last edited:

Telemarker

May 4, 2019
Aberdeenshire
That’s a great diagram, thanks for sharing. Good to have all the part numbers

REckon it will Be much better value buying bearings from bearing shop than focus though...

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
Hmmmm....

@nepper I clicked on that link and just got Focus telling me that the page no longer existed, yet it worked for @Telemarker

I even went to the Focus website and despite a good look around (no search facility) I could find nowhere listing diagrams or exploded parts views. Some hints from either of you guys would be helpful. :)

nepper

Oct 5, 2019
Finland
Weird... Link works for me and it is a direct address to the jpg file. I attached those three files to this message. Drawings can be found under F.A.Q

fo20_explo_website_focus_sam2_al_1.jpg

fo20_explo_website_jam2_al-al_7.jpg

fo20_explo_website_jam2_c_al_8.jpg

Last edited:

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
Thanks @nepper I have copied the Jam2 drawing.

I don't even get a FAQ on the Focus website I visit!
@Telemarker I can't get it to work by clicking so I cut and pasted. Then I got it. But it would be nice to explore the site a bit more. I'll have to assume that the bearings for my carbon bike are the same as the alloy framed one.

Thanks to you both. :)

Telemarker

May 4, 2019
Aberdeenshire
Dismantled the Sam2 today, the bearings are notchy and gritty feeling so time for new ones
I noted the bearing numbers and have ordered new ones from an online bearing shop
Here they are:

6901VRS x4
3801RD x2. (I bought and fitted 63801-2RS-MAX (63801-VRS) after first buying 3801VRS but these were too wide)

6903VRS x2

Last edited:

nepper

Oct 5, 2019
Finland
Yup. It' should be 3801-B-2RS (rubber shield on both sides, 12 / 21 / 7 mm dimensions).

! edited the correct bearing code!

Last edited:

Telemarker

May 4, 2019
Aberdeenshire
The bearings I removed from frame definitely had 3801-RD stamped on the side (RD not RS) , I triple checked, because I couldn’t find them online,
In the end I got these:
63801-2RS-MAX (63801-VRS)
dimensions were identical

I got these first, but they were too wide : 3801-2RS-MAX (3801-VRS)
So after measuring old ones and more research got the 63801-2RS

nepper

Oct 5, 2019
Finland
Bearings marketed as 3801 are double row bearings, dimensions can vary from 12 / 21 / 7 or 8 mm, choose 7 mm variant for JAM OR SAM

63801 is ordinary single row bearing , dimensions 12 / 21 / 7 mm.

I would pop out the seal from the original bearing and check is it actually double row bearing.

Last edited:

nepper

Oct 5, 2019
Finland
This one was a bit tough to find but eventually, here's the correct bearing code for the double row bearing that will fit JAM / SAM:

3801-B-2RS-TVH
d12 mm D21 mm B7 mm

I edited my old posts to correct dimensions.

Last edited:

nepper

Oct 5, 2019
Finland
Basically this is the good thing:
3801: dynamic load rating, radial 2150N
63801: dynamic load rating, radial 1500N

Bad thing could be that 3801 requires tighter tolerances from the frame to actually last longer.

r_graz

Dec 27, 2020
Italy
Hi everybody! Since it's just a related question seems good to me to post here, if not I will open a specific thread.

Are 2018 and 2019 the same? I have a 2018 Sam2 and I want to replace suspension bearings, can I buy the same as posted here or there is some difference? It will be a nice time saving considering I'm using my bike even to commute in these pandemic.

Thanks

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
Many thanks to all those above who contributed to this thread, especially @nepper and @Telemarker

Because I will need this one day, I have just worked my way through this thread, plus some additional work. Here is a summary:

6901 dims 12/24/6, four required. These are single row deep groove radial bearings.
6903 dims 17/30/7 two required. These are single row deep groove radial bearings.
3801 2RS dims 12/21/7 two required. These are double row angular contact bearings.

When buying, the number and the dimensions are all you need to get a bearing that will fit. If you look around you will see various additional letters like LLU, LLB, NTN..... These describe the type of seal. Better sealing costs more money and you may prefer to pay.

Note: the 6901 and 6903 brgs only come in one size each, the dims above. The 3801 comes in two widths, you need the 7mm not the 8mm.

If anyone can spot an error, or a critical lack of information, please correct me! :)

Telemarker

May 4, 2019
Aberdeenshire
Thanks for posting summary Steve, I replaced bearings again a few weeks ago, one year on. But forgot to look back at this post and got the single Row 63801 bearings again....doh... pasted the above post into my notes now!

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles