Focus sam2 6.9 or Vitus 2021 E Sommet Vrx

Burnsie

Mar 14, 2019
Crockham Hill
Hi all,
I’ve always been a Specialized fanboy, a Levo and 2 Kenevo’s under my belt, but fancied a change,
I have a focus sam2 6.9 on order with a late jan delivery date from a Rutland cycles, I’ve paid in full for the bike but Rutland have said, if I change my mind before delivery they’ll give a full refund as can sell it on to another punter, I also have a another bike in my sights the £5200 2021 Vitus E Sommet VRX. It’s not released yet but due out in month or 2.
Never had a problem with Specialized and the bullet proof warranty and when I’ve sold the bikes it’s been easy due to warranty being transferable. How do the warranties on the other two bikes compare and which motors are better ep8 or Bosch, here’s the info on the vitus I’ll post the geo on the sam2 later, I’m 6.3 and like a long reach, last bike was a s5 kenevo, part of me is regretting selling it as I think either of these bikes might be a backwards step but I fancied a mullet or 29er
Any advice much appreciated.
Burnsie

Last edited:

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
I am a 2018 E-Sommet owner, and I love the bike, but CRC and I have no doubt the new one will be a cracker too, however CRC/Wiggle are a nightmare to deal with on any warranty issues - I have had one replacement motor, and got nowhere with CRC, ended up using my LBS who warrantied the motor for me.

Burnsie

Mar 14, 2019
Crockham Hill
I am a 2018 E-Sommet owner, and I love the bike, but CRC and I have no doubt the new one will be a cracker too, however CRC/Wiggle are a nightmare to deal with on any warranty issues - I have had one replacement motor, and got nowhere with CRC, ended up using my LBS who warrantied the motor for me.
Thanks R120, I’ve edited the thread as a few typos, I know Rob tested the sam2 , how would you compare the two motors. I know the ep8 has been delayed, I also saw a teaser for the canyon torque on, which looked pretty sweet. I’ve been without a bike for 6 weeks, I’m getting desperate!!

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
I have only had a brief spin on the EP8 round a local park, and I couldn't really tell the difference between the e8000 except for it being quieter - I would need to ride it on some proper trails to give an opinion. I still love the E8000.

The Bosch is really good, quite a different feel to the Shimano and noticeably more powerful.

Given the supply issue over the next year I would stick with the Sam if you have one ordered, as bikes are going to be very hard to get hold of over the next year. Its a great bike so I doubt you will be disappointed.

If I was looking for a new bike this year it would be between two models, the new Marin Alpine Trail E2, and the Privateer E161 - though there no chance of getting hold of either before summer earliest. I like shimano so my personal presence is influenced by that, as I have a lot of parts for the systems that will work with the new EP8.

Burnsie

Mar 14, 2019
Crockham Hill
I have only had a brief spin on the EP8 round a local park, and I couldn't really tell the difference between the e8000 except for it being quieter - I would need to ride it on some proper trails to give an opinion. I still love the E8000.

The Bosch is really good, quite a different feel to the Shimano and noticeably more powerful.

Given the supply issue over the next year I would stick with the Sam if you have one ordered, as bikes are going to be very hard to get hold of over the next year. Its a great bike so I doubt you will be disappointed.

If I was looking for a new bike this year it would be between two models, the new Marin Alpine Trail E2, and the Privateer E161 - though there no chance of getting hold of either before summer earliest. I like shimano so my personal presence is influenced by that, as I have a lot of parts for the systems that will work with the new EP8.
Yep the Marin and Privateer both look nice, love the geometry on the Marin, but as you said summer time if lucky, the other option is to mullet a Kenevo S5 but people are asking large amounts of money for them (I did too, and got it)
I could wait till feb/ March a mate in the Berkshire area mentioned a new specialized coming out.

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
Yep the Marin and Privateer both look nice, love the geometry on the Marin, but as you said summer time if lucky, the other option is to mullet a Kenevo S5 but people are asking large amounts of money for them (I did too, and got it)
I could wait till feb/ March a mate in the Berkshire area mentioned a new specialized coming out.
Thats likely to be this:

InRustWeTrust

E*POWAH Master
Mar 9, 2020
Sweden
I am on a vrx 2020 now and I like it very much, I have tried my friends kenevos, levos rails and many more but I like the geometry of vitus bikes that suits me very well. You get a lot of a bike for the price with good components.

I would say that you should go to a store and try a few different bikes and get your own perception and feeling, vitus maybe there is someone in your city who has one that you can try

Last edited:

Burnsie

Mar 14, 2019
Crockham Hill
I am on a vrx 2020 now and I like it very much, I have tried my friends kenevos, levos rails and many more but I like the geometry of vitus bikes that suits me very well. You get a lot of a bike for the price with good components.

I would say that you should go to a store and try a few different bikes and get your own perception and feeling, vitus maybe there is someone in your city who has one that you can try
2 of the bikes I’m interested in are direct sales so no chance of trying before buying, the Focus sam2 isn’t in the uk yet and to hold one of the first you have to pay in advance to get it, I suppose if it didn’t feel right I could send it back to Rutland cycles as long as it was unused.

Last edited:

InRustWeTrust

E*POWAH Master
Mar 9, 2020
Sweden

2 of the bikes I’m interested in are direct sales so no chance of trying before buying, the Focus sam2 isn’t in the uk yet and to hold one of the first you have to pay in advance to get it, I suppose if it didn’t feel right I could send it back to Rutland cycles as long as it was unused.

yes I know that Vitus is direct sale , like I write before maybe you can find someone in your city that have a Vitus you can try , I shouldn't buy a bike and try it and then realize that the bike don't fit.... it get att a lot of work for you to contact the business you buy it from tho sent it back and then put the bike back in the box and sent it.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles