Focus Sam2 2021 flip chip - 430mm chainstay with 29er tyre?

Crown

Feb 17, 2021
Finland
I was able to get one reservation for a new 2021 Focus Sam2 6.8. I'm hoping to receive the bike within a couple of months. I have a flip chip option on one of my current Trek Farley fatbike and a fully enjoy riding the bike with shortest possible chainstay with only ~3mm clearance between tyre and seat tube. There is of course a mullet option in Sam2, but by using a 29x2.2-2.3 rear tyre instead if possible you would not need to buy a 27.5 wheel. Both 27.5 x 3.0 and 29 x 2.25 tyres measure ~736mm in diameter so in theory it should be possible.

I'm fully aware of geometry changes the flip chip does, but nevertheless I'm curious to know if someone has tried a smaller volume 29er tyre and a short 430mm chainstay option on Focus Sam2 2021 bike?

Rumblefish

Jan 2, 2021
Norway
Why in the world do you want to use it with 29er wheel in that position?
Nothing to gain, actually I do not see any reason to have 430mm at least for large and xl frames. It makes the front center vs rear center far off.

I was able to get one reservation for a new 2021 Focus Sam2 6.8. I'm hoping to receive the bike within a couple of months. I have a flip chip option on one of my current Trek Farley fatbike and a fully enjoy riding the bike with shortest possible chainstay with only ~3mm clearance between tyre and seat tube. There is of course a mullet option in Sam2, but by using a 29x2.2-2.3 rear tyre instead if possible you would not need to buy a 27.5 wheel. Both 27.5 x 3.0 and 29 x 2.25 tyres measure ~736mm in diameter so in theory it should be possible.

I'm fully aware of geometry changes the flip chip does, but nevertheless I'm curious to know if someone has tried a smaller volume 29er tyre and a short 430mm chainstay option on Focus Sam2 2021 bike?

Crown

Feb 17, 2021
Finland
Our terrain has lot's of technical slow sections where short chainstay enable the bike to be more nimble. I do also prefer steeper steering tube angle on these tight corners. I'm quite open for testing different tyre configurations also with 450mm chainstay: in summer 29 x 3.0 tyres or in winter 27.5 x 3.8 tyres with i45 wide 27.5 rims. These are tyre options which I have already used and liked in my fatbike. Therefore I'm curious to know how much tyre clearance is available in these two different Focus Sam2 chainstay options.

Rumblefish

Jan 2, 2021
Norway
I have technical segments here in local trails too. There are not exactly true that short CS gives nimble handling since you will only get easier lift on front wheel and heavier rear wheel......anyway measured width is 100mm at top og a 3" Wratchild. Suppose it will be tight with 3.8 on that on. I am running the long CS.

Our terrain has lot's of technical slow sections where short chainstay enable the bike to be more nimble. I do also prefer steeper steering tube angle on these tight corners. I'm quite open for testing different tyre configurations also with 450mm chainstay: in summer 29 x 3.0 tyres or in winter 27.5 x 3.8 tyres with i45 wide 27.5 rims. These are tyre options which I have already used and liked in my fatbike. Therefore I'm curious to know how much tyre clearance is available in these two different Focus Sam2 chainstay options.

Crown

Feb 17, 2021
Finland
Thank you Rumblefish,
I have measured 27.5 x 3.8 Hodag on i45 rim = 98mm wide and 754mm diameter. As a reference I have seen one 29er Special Stumpy bike with 27.5 x 3.8 tires. Based on these measurement I was hoping that if there could be option to have 29er emtb which could be equipped also with fatbike tyres.

Rumblefish

Jan 2, 2021
Norway
Thank you Rumblefish,
I have measured 27.5 x 3.8 Hodag on i45 rim = 98mm wide and 754mm diameter. As a reference I have seen one 29er Special Stumpy bike with 27.5 x 3.8 tires. Based on these measurement I was hoping that if there could be option to have 29er emtb which could be equipped also with fatbike tyres.

There might be space in chain stay, but the chain line will not take it.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles