Focus Sam² 6.7 2020 vs YT Decoy Base 2019

MTB565

Mar 22, 2020
Sweden
I'm looking for an agressive enduro bike to send of the steep and gnalry stuff and I think I have settled on either the Sam² or the Decoy, however open to suggestion.

The Sam² I can buy locally and the Decoy is obviously direct to customer.

This is not a "do it all" bike since I have a YT Jeffsy 29" 140/140 trail bike which I'll keep and use as well, the ebike needs to be burlier.

Intended idea is freeride, as in pedal the bike out in the woods where there are no bike trails, to ride terrain I dont acess easily on my regular bike. At best there is old overgrown machine trails and animal paths.

So focus is gravity based riding but not mountains but instead shorter sections which probably will be shuttled several times. In between these sections its pretty flat in general.

What would you choose and why?

Sam² looks to be a bit more agile which should make the bike a bit more fun when riding the flatter trails. Smaller battery which I dont know if it will be an issue or not. The TEC pack looks a bit wierd and like it would place weight in a bad place, also makes the bike more expensive.

Decoy seems to get fairly good reviews except it not being that playful. Not sure about the mullet setup but the 29" front will probably help in the rough terrain. Bigger battery, better spec.

If the battery capacity were equal I think I would go for the Sam².

Any input? ?

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
Check out the Vitus E-Sommet too, fits the bill for what you want, imo its the best riding of all the big travel bikes if you want a bike you can really thrash. The new Whyte e180 is a killer bike too and available from an LBS, big battery too.

The smaller battery on the Sam is a PITA, and the Tecpack range extender puts a load of weigh where you dont want it if you go down that route.

MTB565

Mar 22, 2020
Sweden
Check out the Vitus E-Sommet too, fits the bill for what you want, imo its the best riding of all the big travel bikes if you want a bike you can really thrash. The new Whyte e180 is a killer bike too and available from an LBS, big battery too.

The smaller battery on the Sam is a PITA, and the Tecpack range extender puts a load of weigh where you dont want it if you go down that route.

Yeah I the E-sommet could be a option but the wiggle/crc customer service seems to be a nightmare if i have any issues and I would need to step up to the VRS modell to get the E8000 which put me slightly over budget.

The TEC pack dont seems to be a very neat solution.

v0rt3x

Mar 27, 2020
Slovenia
The Sam hasn't been updated with Bosch motors for 2020? If so I'd say it's not worth it really with the small battery since they updated the Jam range with 625wh.

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
Also I think Focus have dropped the Sam squared from their model line up for 2020

MTB565

Mar 22, 2020
Sweden
The Sam hasn't been updated with Bosch motors for 2020? If so I'd say it's not worth it really with the small battery since they updated the Jam range with 625wh.

I dont think so, seems like people dont get along with the smaller capacity ?

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles