Focus Jam2 - Suspension - Rear Coil Shock & Front Fork Upgrades

PJ27

Jan 8, 2020
Gosford, NSW
Marco Fontana's Focus Jam2 - Ohlins Rear Shock and Front Fork, plus other mods. Looks great IMO.

Not that he would need to worry but when I enquired to Focus re: suitable rear shock, they advised the only one that was tested were the factory fitted models and anything else may void warranty as they have not been tested....

Kiwi_Stu

Nov 5, 2019
Slovakia
I've got a 2017 Jam2 Plus 27.5 which originally had a Revelation 140mm up front and RS Deluxe on the rear, I fairly quickly switched to a Yari 160 mm and then added an old Fox DHX5 200x57 coil that i had lying round. This setup was way better then the original and much plusher on the rear. Then about 1 year ago i played round and found out i could probably fit a 216x63 coil on the rear if i used offset shock hardware - so ordered a Bomber CR with Valt spring, fitted it on and now have 160 mm on the rear, and no frame rub with the coil. I also switched the Yari air shaft out for a Smashpot and this machine is ooohhhhh so plush now - a completely different beast to the original and awesome for enduro trails - i'd never go back (and i'm nearly out of warranty period so not worried about that either). If anyone is interested i can put some pic's up.
Cheers
Stu

themoon

Sep 12, 2020
Ukraine
@Kiwi_Stu would be interested to know when offset shock hardware you ended up using. I have the same year frame, size M... wonder if larger shock will fit if was well

DenyeR

Apr 11, 2019
Santiago, Chile
I've got a 2017 Jam2 Plus 27.5 which originally had a Revelation 140mm up front and RS Deluxe on the rear, I fairly quickly switched to a Yari 160 mm and then added an old Fox DHX5 200x57 coil that i had lying round. This setup was way better then the original and much plusher on the rear. Then about 1 year ago i played round and found out i could probably fit a 216x63 coil on the rear if i used offset shock hardware - so ordered a Bomber CR with Valt spring, fitted it on and now have 160 mm on the rear, and no frame rub with the coil. I also switched the Yari air shaft out for a Smashpot and this machine is ooohhhhh so plush now - a completely different beast to the original and awesome for enduro trails - i'd never go back (and i'm nearly out of warranty period so not worried about that either). If anyone is interested i can put some pic's up.
Cheers
Stu
Please do, wanna see it

Kiwi_Stu

Nov 5, 2019
Slovakia
Hey guys sorry about the delay.

For the offset shock hardware I'm using 2 mm offset on both sets but slightly angling so the spring is away from the frame.

Here's one pic closeup, can add more if needed. I have absolutely no rub marks after a year on this setup.

IMG_20220725_225200.jpg

Kiwi_Stu

Nov 5, 2019
Slovakia
Hey guys sorry about the delay.

For the offset shock hardware I'm using 2 mm offset on both sets but slightly angling so the spring is away from the frame.

Here's one pic closeup, can add more if needed. I have absolutely no rub marks after a year on this setup.

View attachment 93256
One springs o note is that's an Ohlins 502 lb 63 mm spring, which is shorter than the usual Rockshox springs

Sijmes

Sep 22, 2018
Netherlands
Stu, what happens when you turn that shock upside down ? Will it still fit ? There's no room for the Piggy back on a medium frame in the position that you have it....

Kiwi_Stu

Nov 5, 2019
Slovakia
I can't have the shock mounted the other way round as the spring rubs on the bottom of the seat tube. So no option i'm guessing for M frames to have a coil as i haven't come across any shocks that have OD small enough.

Sijmes

Sep 22, 2018
Netherlands
Ok thanks for the info. I can't get a piggyback air shock in there either. I've already smoked a Fox dps, next time a rock shox maybe but this bike won't accept anything heavy duty which is a shame.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles