Focus Jam2 - set up nirvana achieved!!!

ricardowight

Dec 28, 2018
Isle of Wight UK
Some emtb riders on this forum may think what I'm about to explain to you is bonkers, but!!

I've had my Focus since November 18, and I've done over 1000 miles on it since then.
It's an amazing bit of kit, but I've been searching for ways that I can extend the range, because I just want to keep riding it.
I know that Focus say that they have studied how long the average MTB ride is and that the 378Wh battery covers this (with the TEC pack available of course for when it doesn't!) - £450 thank you very much!

But there is another way to get a LOT more range if you are fit enough to put in a bit of effort.

I never use Boost, to me it seems like a waste of a click of the power selector. Novelty value really.
I live on the Isle of Wight which has a lot of hills - short sharp stuff, but pretty much everything that I want to ride up can be achieved in Trail, but mostly in Eco.

So, I mentioned nirvana in the title of this post:
I've retuned my bike using the Freemax software as follows:
Eco 20% assist 30Nm (Shimano default is 60% assist 30Nm)
This assist setting seems to cancel out the bike weight with a little bit on top, but is of course super economical.
Trail 60% assist 30Nm (same as default Eco mode - default Trail mode is 90% assist 70Nm)
Boost 100% assist 70Nm

On the new setting it feels like a normal trail bike in Eco - but I've had a great nights sleep with no hang over and feel properly up for it.

Trail is there for when I need an extra push and want to ride up stuff fast.
Boost, gets me up steps, rock gardens, roots stuff etc.
Recent ride stats:
21 miles
2000ft climbing
3 battery bars remaining
20 miles Eco range remaining (20% assist as explained above)
15 miles Trail range remaining (60% assist as explained above)

The idea that the Focus Jam2 is a lighter bike because of the smaller battery is great, but as it comes standard, it's overpowered in my opinion.
I now feel like I could manage a big day out in Wales on 378Wh with no need for the TEC pack, but I will be sweating!

I'd be interested to know if anyone else has tried this, and what the long term thoughts are.

Cheers to Phill for advice and encouragement.

Shaun

May 12, 2018
Saint Mary Bourne
I fully agree that the default Shimano settings need to be user tuneable, which trail and boost are to a certain extent but eco is fixed. On my Levo I can tune all which I believe should be an industry standard for all ebikes across all motor types.

Shaun

May 12, 2018
Saint Mary Bourne
Some emtb riders on this forum may think what I'm about to explain to you is bonkers, but!!

I've had my Focus since November 18, and I've done over 1000 miles on it since then.
It's an amazing bit of kit, but I've been searching for ways that I can extend the range, because I just want to keep riding it.
I know that Focus say that they have studied how long the average MTB ride is and that the 378Wh battery covers this (with the TEC pack available of course for when it doesn't!) - £450 thank you very much!

But there is another way to get a LOT more range if you are fit enough to put in a bit of effort.

I never use Boost, to me it seems like a waste of a click of the power selector. Novelty value really.
I live on the Isle of Wight which has a lot of hills - short sharp stuff, but pretty much everything that I want to ride up can be achieved in Trail, but mostly in Eco.

This assist setting seems to cancel out the bike weight with a little bit on top, but is of course super economical.
Trail 60% assist 30Nm (same as default Eco mode - default Trail mode is 90% assist 70Nm)
Boost 100% assist 70Nm

On the new setting it feels like a normal trail bike in Eco - but I've had a great nights sleep with no hang over and feel properly up for it.

Recent ride stats:
21 miles
2000ft climbing
3 battery bars remaining

The idea that the Focus Jam2 is a lighter bike because of the smaller battery is great, but as it comes standard, it's overpowered in my opinion.
I now feel like I could manage a big day out in Wales on 378Wh with no need for the TEC pack, but I will be sweating!

I'd be interested to know if anyone else has tried this, and what the long term thoughts are.

Do you need to pay for a freemax license to tune the bike as you have done? Or is it just if you want to remove the limiter that a per bike licence is required? I would like to retune my Focus to similar settings to those you have settled on as well as sort out the wheel circumference to get an accurate speed / distance as mine has a 10% error under read.

S D

Mar 26, 2019
Shelley

Boost 100% assist 70Nm

Recent ride stats:
21 miles
2000ft climbing
3 battery bars remaining

We spent this weekend in the lakes around Bassenthwaite, On Saturday we covered 21miles uphill downhill, forest tracks bridleways some country lanes etc with 1256feet of ascent descent.
When we got back to site my Jam had used just one bar of Battery and was showing 18 miles plus of range remaining.(eco)

Yesterday we did another similar ride of 17 miles and again I only used one bar battery.
I reckon I could easily do a full day on the internal battery even without retuning.
But , like you I find the factory settings more powerful than I actually need
and would like to be able to change the settings in order to guarantee even more range with more climbing.(thinking alps trips)
I did order a Tec pack with my bike but as yet it still has to materialise so being frugal with the internal battery has taught me quite a lot.

I’m no tech wizard so could someone explain the freemax thing please?

stiv674

E*POWAH Elite
Mar 4, 2019
Wiltshire
Individual fitness, as mentioned, and enjoyment plays a big part as well. I could ride mostly in eco mode but I would get tired quicker and therefore wouldn't enjoy it as much.

That's the advantage of the t.e.c battery for me, it makes the last quarter or so of the ride much more enjoyable.

ricardowight

Dec 28, 2018
Isle of Wight UK
Hi All,
The Freemax tuning software is free, you can download it from
the Emax tuning website.
But you do need a Shimano PCE-1 computer interface box which is pretty pricey (I've gone halves on the cost with a mate).
It's PC compatible only.
I downloaded the Shimano E-Tube project software first.
Get the full workshop version, not the phone/iPad version.
It's also free.
Then you've got the same setup as a Shimano dealer!
Next step is to update the firmware on your bike to the latest version.
Then quit E-tube and start up Freemax, and follow the help instructions. It won't allow you to change wheel circumference or increase the speed limit - you need the full Emax software for that, and a licence key for that is approx. €120.
But you can fully tune all the assist levels.
Go for it!

ricardowight

Dec 28, 2018
Isle of Wight UK
Hi SD,
I love to ride in the Lakes, I haven't been there for ages.
Your ride distance is impressive, but I've found that the real battery killer is climbing. That's what does it..
The 21 mile ride I explained earlier involved a lot more climbing than the the stats you state, so if you're planning longer/bigger (i.e. alpine climbing), I would consider a retune to give more chance of making the distance.
I find that the 20% assist that I have my Eco set to is perfectly rideable in that it feels a bit like my normal trail bike (Santa Cruz Heckler), which is great because I can just ride along with my non-emtb mates, but knowing that I've got another couple of power settings up my sleeve!!!
After a few months of being a member of this forum I've found that the best range figures that riders are getting from the default 378Wh in the Focus is around 26-28miles with around 2000-2500ft climbing.

ricardowight

Dec 28, 2018
Isle of Wight UK
Update 23.04.19
Hi all, I went out for a ride today here on the Isle of Wight.
Ryde to Ventnor Radar Station, (St Boniface Down if anyone knows it?)
It's the highest point on the island.
If I had more time available, l could have gone much further.
Ride stats - bike retuned as mentioned earlier:
25.5 miles - 2296 ft climbing.
At the end of the ride I had
3 bars of battery remaining- probably more like 45-50%.
19 miles of Eco remaining.
14 miles of Trail, and 9 miles of Boost.
Great ride, but a fair bit of effort required when in my new lower Eco setting, but I'm more than happy to put this effort in.

I did exactly the same ride before I retuned my bike (so it was on the Shimano factory settings), and the battery died completely about 400 metres from home.
I don't feel the need for a TEC pack anymore, and if you're looking to increase the range of your Jam2 by approx 50% and are happy to pedal, you can ride far and fast, even with the power turned down.
I just can't understand why the Shimano software won't let you customise every level of assist in the same way that Specialized do.
Emtbs are really the same as normal bikes in that different people want different things from them.

highpeakrider

E*POWAH Master
Aug 10, 2018
Peak District
They do have a warning on the website, I have no interest in de restricting, I’ve just lowered the assist and torque settings, could a shop identify this and would they be bothered?
It’s a make your own mind up and proceed how you see fit.

highpeakrider

E*POWAH Master
Aug 10, 2018
Peak District
First try, so i'm 59, weigh 15 stone, recovering from bulging L4 disc with muscle spasm in right thigh and mainly dead knee. So i'm recovering, not at my fitness levels and need to keep pressure off my thigh muscle while try to slowly rebuild. Bike is 10speed with 2.8 Recons.

First setting, no change to boost as i don't really use it. Trail 80-45 Eco 30-30.
I ride mainly in eco and this ride was mostly eco other than a few short climbs in trail.
I could certainly tell i was working harder, higher heart rate and was working right thigh and good free the muscle working but it felt OK.
I would usually come home with a red last bar nursing the last few miles, with these settings I still had 3 bars about a mile from home.

Screenshot 2019-04-28 at 13.44.12.png

4Tj8KaauR%KcuwLYl3x4eQ.jpg

opZMbNUzRW6S8lRhbnhB4Q.jpg

s0odl5EqTga4segu+d8quA.jpg

ricardowight

Dec 28, 2018
Isle of Wight UK
Sounds good highpeak rider, as you can see from my earlier posts I've had similar results and l'm really pleased with how my bike is riding now.
I can only think that Shimano won't officially allow owners to retune the Eco setting because they would actually prefer us all to be shelling out for spare batteries (or TEC packs), than let you unlock the true full potential and flexibility of the system!

highpeakrider

E*POWAH Master
Aug 10, 2018
Peak District
Sounds good highpeak rider, as you can see from my earlier posts I've had similar results and l'm really pleased with how my bike is riding now.
I can only think that Shimano won't officially allow owners to retune the Eco setting because they would actually prefer us all to be shelling out for spare batteries (or TEC packs), than let you unlock the true full potential and flexibility of the system!

Its Focus that want you to shell out for a TEC pack, i think its more to do with people feeling the wow effect when they try one with the settings high and thinking I'm having one...

Apr 29, 2019
Boulder
It's good advice and I do try to run in ECO as much as possible.

Here on the front range of Colorado, I am chasing my buddies with their 2 battery Levo's. I have the tec pack, but again 756W vs. 1000W means I've either got to pedal harder (typical) or find a larger tec pack.

Has anyone had any experience with sourcing a larger, say 500W tec pack?

Yes, I know this will invalidate the warranty.....

Last edited:

highpeakrider

E*POWAH Master
Aug 10, 2018
Peak District
Interested to know how this is going with the emax app ?

Really good, but I’ve only used it on two rides, I’ve set eco a bit higher and lowered trail.
This over time it should allow me to tune the bike exactly how I want it to ride rather than just chasing extra miles out of the battery.

The app responds really quickly once it’s pulled back the bike information.

Reactions: S D

S D

Mar 26, 2019
Shelley
Really good, but I’ve only used it on two rides, I’ve set eco a bit higher and lowered trail.
This over time it should allow me to tune the bike exactly how I want it to ride rather than just chasing extra miles out of the battery.

Sounds like exactly what I’m looking for,
So originally you reduced eco to 30 30 ?
From the factory setting of 60 30
What did you raise it back to ?

S D

Mar 26, 2019
Shelley

So originally you set eco at 30 30 ?
From the factory setting
What did you raise it to ?

Telemarker

May 4, 2019
Aberdeenshire
Great post and information
I installed the eMax app on my iPad on Friday and changed eco mode to 25% and 30 torque on my Focus Sam².

Typically I have been getting between 17-27km on a battery on rides with lots of steep climbs, sometimes technical, with maybe 1000-1300m climb in NE Scotland hills before battery went flat.
Longest ride I have done being 55km with TEC pack.
Yesterday with new ECO settings I did a 37km ride with 820m climb on same trails and still had 2 bars remaining on internal battery. TEC pack stayed in my rucksack :)
Yes it was more of a workout, but I still got up climbs faster without pushing myself that hard, than I have done on my normally aspirated Kona Dawg going full gas.
Opened up lots more range for me

ricardowight

Dec 28, 2018
Isle of Wight UK
Hi Telemarker that's great to hear.
My Jam2 is retuned similar to your bike, and I love it this way.
I'm off to Wales next weekend with a bunch of mates, and most of them will be on 100% human powered bikes, so I'll be pedalling along with them most of the time in my Eco setting of 20%/30Nm assist, but with the rather smug feeling of knowing I've still got two further settings to go when the need arises.
I reckon by far the best way to enhance the Focus bikes is to turn the power down, get fit/loose weight and forget about the TEC pack, unless you've got a real epic day out in mind.
I am slightly miffed though that I shelled out on buying the Shimano PCE-1 computer interface so that I could connect to the bike and make FreeMax adjustments, only to find that they launch an iPhone app a couple of weeks later that costs a quid and connects by Bluetooth- dammit !!!

Telemarker

May 4, 2019
Aberdeenshire
With tired legs yesterday I found the new “super eco” setting didn’t help enough on hills, so used normal trail mode.
After ride I have reset trail mode to be the sam as factory default, and boost mode to match factory trail mode.
Will see how it goes, can always reset on the fly on a ride

S D

Mar 26, 2019
Shelley
With tired legs yesterday I found the new “super eco” setting didn’t help enough on hills, so used normal trail mode.
After ride I have reset trail mode to be the sam as factory default, and boost mode to match factory trail mode.
Will see how it goes, can always reset on the fly on a ride
So you now have two factory trail modes ??

That was a really eco eco mode you set first time out , it’s all useful info though.

ricardowight

Dec 28, 2018
Isle of Wight UK
Hi, do you mean you tuned Trail to be the same as default Eco?
When I got my Jam2 straight out of the box it was set to:
Eco 60% - 30Nm
Trail 90% - 70Nm
Boost 300% - 70Nm

As mentioned earlier I'm now running.
Eco - 20% - 30Nm
Trail - 60% - 30Nm
Boost - 100% - 70Nm

I think that you will find the 60% - 30Nm Trail setting adequate for grinding up hills, and more power economical than the default Trail setting.
Looking forward to hear how you find it.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles