Focus Jam2 - set up nirvana achieved!!!

valium64

Sep 16, 2018
Massa, Italy
Personally I'm testing on my Sam2 the following setting and I feel like is perfect to feel like a muscular All Mountain bike on ECO even riding an Enduro ebike with the benefit of an assisted one on trail and boost when necessary.

Eco - 30% - 30Nm
Trail - 60% - 50Nm
Boost - 120% - 70Nm

With a good cadence and gear similar to climb wit a normal MTB using principally eco about 60% of the time, a 30% of trail and a 10% of boost I did 1200 meter in approx 10 km divided fifty fifty asphalt and gravel with the last 2 segments of the 368wh battery unused, but on the top I was sufficiently rested to be less tired that if I were gone up with a front from xc.

ricardowight

Dec 28, 2018
Isle of Wight UK
Hi All,
I've just got back from a weekend of riding in Wales that's been really interesting regarding Freemax tuning.
As I've mentioned earlier in this thread my Focus Jam2 is now tuned as follows:
Eco - 20% assist - 30Nm
Trail - 60% assist - 30Nm
Boost - 100% assist - 70Nm

There were five of us on the trip, but only two emtbs.
A couple of my mates who ride regular bikes are very fit guys who run, bike/ bike commute, so they were keen to see how they faired against an ebike!
Generally I found that even with Eco set so low at 20%, I could drop all of them on the climbs, so I'm thinking that this setting is still a little too much if you want to get the bike riding close to a non-e powered bike, in its lowest setting.
I consider that I'm reasonably fit for my age and usually ride 3-4 times a week, so there's going to be a fitness plus assist issue to take into consideration.
Fri: Afan Whites Level - 10.5miles (16.9km) 1340ft (408.5m)
Even on just 20% the 4 mile climb up was a breeze.
I've ridden this quite a few times, but always had to stop or put a foot down.
Not this time though. Eco most of the way up, a couple of short sections in Off and a few Trail moments to get me up steep rises.
I only used one bar of battery, so could probably have managed at least 3 laps (maybe even 4) of this trail on a single charge.
Sat - The Gap -Brecon Beacons - 22.5miles (36.2km) 2590ft (789.5m).
3 bars of battery remaining.
Sun - Black Mountains/Lord Hereford's Knob - 13miles (20.9km) 2165ft (660m).
3 bars of battery remaining.

I think that what I've learned from this weekend is that I can now be confident that I can manage a 30-35mile all-day ride in big country such as Wales with just the integrated battery.

I just need all my riding buddies to get emtbs now so that we can all enjoy the fun!!!!

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
It seems like the ability to tune the modes with the software, really unlocks the design benefits of the focus with the lighter weight from the smaller battery

ricardowight

Dec 28, 2018
Isle of Wight UK
Hi Telemarker - it's the 27.5 Plus.
My mate that was also on the trip has the 29" version.
His bike is the same as mine, but it's newer and has done fewer miles.
His results were more or less the same, but his battery bars depleted a little after mine.
I'd say "I've just gone down to 4 bars", then about 10 miles minutes later he'd say "me too"!
So, it may be a fact that the greater rolling effect of the big wheels squeezes a bit more out of the battery.

S D

Mar 26, 2019
Shelley
Hi Telemarker - it's the 27.5 Plus.
My mate that was also on the trip has the 29" version.
His bike is the same as mine, but it's newer and has done fewer miles.
His results were more or less the same, but his battery bars depleted a little after mine.
I'd say "I've just gone down to 4 bars", then about 10 miles minutes later he'd say "me too"!
So, it may be a fact that the greater rolling effect of the big wheels squeezes a bit more out of the battery.
That’s interesting, it’s one of the few things not covered in the Focus testing videos.
Great information Ricardo ?

ricardowight

Dec 28, 2018
Isle of Wight UK
I just reread my earlier post and noticed I said that my mates bike was dropping power bars 10 miles minutes after me.
I meant to say that his battery was about 10 MINUTES not 10 miles behind mine!!!!!

OldBean

E*POWAH Elite
Patreon
Apr 28, 2018
East anglia
At last managed to work the E-Tube app and changed the settings to the stock middle range .
It has transformed the riding experience with more trail and less boost burst.....like it.:D
Have fun

Telemarker

May 4, 2019
Aberdeenshire
I was riding firetrack up and black grade natural rocky singletrack downs on hill of Fare in Aberdeenshire last night.
Managed 38km and 1369m ascent on the internal battery, which was in red and approximately 1-2km range left by end.
Pleased by that, approx 10-14 more range than before I detuned the settings
Mainly used super-eco 25/30 setting, but used higher power on steeper bits of climb and more so for last 15km of ride as I got tired

Gasser

Feb 6, 2019
Sidmouth Devon
Does anyone understand the difference or effect that adjusting either the "assist ratio" or the "max Torque" have of the assistance felt on the ride, hope that makes sense

ricardowight

Dec 28, 2018
Isle of Wight UK
Just done my longest ride to date off the internal battery.
33.5 miles (54km) with 3239ft (987m) of climbing.
Mainly in 20% Eco, but a few sections of Trail and two very steep rough climbs a couple of hundred metres each, that used Boost.
I went down to one bar when almost home with 6 miles of Eco range left to go.
My next target will be to see if I can squeeze the magic 40 miles with a similar amount of climbing out of it!!!
But I reckon that would be the absolute limit.

ricardowight

Dec 28, 2018
Isle of Wight UK
Hi Gasser, that's quite a technical question.
There's a good video that explains this on EMBN.
The max torque, rating of the Shimano E8000 is 70Nm and torque is constant in an electric motor.
If you set it to 30Nm for example you get a less ferocious ride effect, which is good for lower assist settings and will avoid wheel spin.
I don't know if you've ever tried to get going on a steep trail in Boost, the power can be difficult to get traction, especially if it's wet as the torque goes from 0 - 70Nm in a single pedal stroke!!!
But the higher 70Nm is great for when you are already going and you shift up to full power to get you up super steep stuff, so long as you can control the bike!
The assistance level is basically adding to your own pedalling input by the set percentage.
So for every pedal revolution that you make, the motor adds the percentage of assist ontop, but the torque is constant.
There's an equation (you'd have to look it up if you really want to know), to work out the power output of the motor, which varies depending on your input (rpm) and the torque of the motor.
Then there's the software in the bike that's monitoring the rpm, your cadence etc., and hopefully smoothing everything out to a pleasant ride experience - this is most noticeable in Trail setting I find.
Lots of factors actually effect the overall ride qualities, but I've found in suits my riding style to downtune all the settings because I never used to use the Boost setting in its default state (300% assist - 70Nm) as I didn't very often find myself in circumstances that needed it.
Now I've got three settings that all get used, across the duration of a ride, and I've massively increased the range of the bike.
I ride most of the time in Eco, and do like to get home feeling like I've had a workout, but having ridden much further than I would do on my normal bike.
The best thing to do is have a play around with settings and try different combinations to find what suits you - we are all different and want different things from our bikes.

Gasser

Feb 6, 2019
Sidmouth Devon
Brilliant explanation, I'm very much like yourself, ride in Eco most of the time, but it's too high and easy, so would like less assistance. Use Trail occasionally on Dartmoor / Qantocks rides when I'm struggling to keep up with fellow riders on steady climbs and boost (mine was at 200%) on those just almost impossible climbs or for a bit of fun on what looks impossible.

Gasser

Feb 6, 2019
Sidmouth Devon
So I had my first longish ride today with the new settings now made available using the Emax App, I went for the following

Eco - 30% - 30Nm
Trail - 60% - 50Nm
Boost - 120% - 70Nm

Did 24 miles, all off rode, 2500ft of climbing, pretty much 98% was done in Eco Mode, used a little bit of Trail on 1 long climb and used a tiny bit of Boost when playing. At the end of the ride I had just used the 3rd bar so 2 bars remaining, very impressed with that.

Definitely a bit more of a workout, but that's what I wanted and could go even lighter on the ECO & Trail settings, so probably going to try the Recardowight settings next time and see how it goes.

But all in all very pleased, this is what I wanted from the start.

hokkane4

Jan 3, 2019
Finland
I think I have achieved my perfect battery saving ECO settings.

I went to ride on bike park in Austria last Saturday. Idea was to test in “controlled environment” the Shimano 504Wh battery climbing capacity with modified ECO settings (30% - 25Nm). What I mean by “controlled environment” is that all the climbing I was doing, was all the time on same road. Each climb was 290m (from map data). My weight is with gears on around 82kg and bike Vitus eSommet VR with 2.6 DHF in front(1.3bar) and Conti der Baron back(1.4bar).

The result was surprising me. I was able to climb 7 times from bottom to the top, which makes 2030m. But unfortunately thunder storm ended my test too early and I could not finish the battery. In the end, I still had 2 bars left on battery display (out of 5). So I could have continued minimum one more full climb, most likely even bit further after that.

I also recorded points when battery display dropped one level down. There is for sure some error margin (~50m) as I could have missed the exact time when the level dropped. But this gives anyway good indication, that each level gives around 100m less climbing than previous.

1. battery level: 714hm (714m)
2. battery level: 1344hm (630m)
3. battery level: 1847hm (503m)

If this trend would have continued, the 4th level would have given ~400m and 5th ~ 300m of climbing. That would make around 2500m of climbing possible with one charge!

But note that this was only possible because the road I used for pedaling was almost optimal, asphalt and hard packed gravel. Also the gradient of the climb was not too steep and I could use all the time same ECO settings (30% - 25Nm). Also rear tire Conti der Baron in 2.6” size has quite small knobs, so rolling resistance is small.

stiv674

E*POWAH Elite
Mar 4, 2019
Wiltshire
Just done my longest ride to date off the internal battery.
33.5 miles (54km) with 3239ft (987m) of climbing.
Mainly in 20% Eco, but a few sections of Trail and two very steep rough climbs a couple of hundred metres each, that used Boost.
I went down to one bar when almost home with 6 miles of Eco range left to go.
My next target will be to see if I can squeeze the magic 40 miles with a similar amount of climbing out of it!!!
But I reckon that would be the absolute limit.

I've posted this in another thread, 43.5 miles is achievable as I found out on Saturday, I forgot my tec pack lead so had to be very frugal with the internal battery... There were quite a few very slow climbs!

Reactions: MsO

ricardowight

Dec 28, 2018
Isle of Wight UK
Hi Stiv647.
Is your bike power tuned down?

It's great to see on this thread the amount of experimentation that's going on to try to find the perfect balance between fun/performance and range on these Focus bikes.
It can only be a matter of time before Shimano realise that some of their users want the same level of power adjustment across all settings that Specialized offer.
Why do we have to have our bikes set up in a way that they dictate?
It's obviously perfectly possible to adjust every aspect of the motor/battery performance because we are all doing it by using EMaxMobileApp and Freemax, so come on Shimano stop trying to just sell us extra batteries and go official on allowing 'down-tuning'.
It's great fun to jump on a bike and tear around on the factory settings, but any rider with a decent level of fitness is soon going to start thinking that it's a bit too much power, but a whole load of fun - and hang on a minute, if I turn the power down a bit I might be able to bomb around on this thing for a whole lot longer.
That's what I want??‍♀️?⛰

Gasser

Feb 6, 2019
Sidmouth Devon
Also, if you check out the Shimano page there are a couple of other Apps available also doing the same thing, plus it looks like you can de-restrict the speed for a cheaper cost, so yes, they need to get this sorted themselves.

valium64

Sep 16, 2018
Massa, Italy
Shimano offers "E-Tube" in PC version that requires SM-PCS01 or SM-PCE2 interface to connect to the bike fitted with any component of Steps or Di2 or the Smartphone and Tablet version, the latter however not yet able to set ECO even if they should soon become them.
The other smartphone app they offer is "E-Tube Ride" which is not compatible with the SC-E8000 series computer displays, so it cannot be used by everyone.
However, no Shimano application to date allows the modification of speed limits nor the customization of the deliverable torque, let alone the regulation of peak power, plus for the three assistance modes it offers however only three levels each pre-set by them, better that nothing, but if you have some training and you want to keep it, while lengthening the autonomy at the same time, I guarantee you that you can go more down with Trail and Boost far beyond the Low level that they make available, as indeed when you have little time and you want to make a quick run Eco Highs and Trail can still be limiting compared to what the Apps of third developers like Shimano Steps Unlocker (for PC and Android) and freeMax (for PC and iOS) allow.

stiv674

E*POWAH Elite
Mar 4, 2019
Wiltshire
Hi Stiv647.
Is your bike power tuned down?

It's great to see on this thread the amount of experimentation that's going on to try to find the perfect balance between fun/performance and range on these Focus bikes.
It can only be a matter of time before Shimano realise that some of their users want the same level of power adjustment across all settings that Specialized offer.
Why do we have to have our bikes set up in a way that they dictate?
It's obviously perfectly possible to adjust every aspect of the motor/battery performance because we are all doing it by using EMaxMobileApp and Freemax, so come on Shimano stop trying to just sell us extra batteries and go official on allowing 'down-tuning'.
It's great fun to jump on a bike and tear around on the factory settings, but any rider with a decent level of fitness is soon going to start thinking that it's a bit too much power, but a whole load of fun - and hang on a minute, if I turn the power down a bit I might be able to bomb around on this thing for a whole lot longer.
That's what I want??‍♀️?⛰

Hi, I did change the settings a bit but I'm not sure how much difference they would have made...

Eco: 30% 30Nm
Trail: 100% 60Nm

alfaura

May 15, 2020
Spain
These are my presets on ST Unlocker (aka my Nirvana)

% ECO-Trail-Boost
NM ECO-Trail-Boost
Max speed

Screenshot_20210331-183632_ST Unlocker.jpg

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles