Focus Jam2 - One Year On!

ricardowight

Dec 28, 2018
Isle of Wight UK
Well, it just dawned on me that I've had my Jam2 Plus a year now as I took delivery of it in November 2018.

So, here's an update of how it's held up over the first year.

It's now got 1803 miles (2901 km) on the clock.
What a life changing idea it was to buy this thing!
It's not just the fact that it gives you a helping hand on the hills, but it's just such a well thought out bike and an absolute blast to ride.
I was a keen mtber before I bought it, but this thing has injected a totally new boost of enthusiasm and confidence to my riding.
I work from home, so I'm a classic example of the marketing hype for these things.
At lunch time, I can shoot out to my local woods/forest in about 8 minutes then tear around for an hour then home, or longer if the weathers good - then catch up with work later!!
It's been mainly ridden on the local trails here on the Isle of Wight where I live, but has also been blasted around Afan, conquered 'The Gap' ride in the Breacon Beacons and topped some of the peaks of the Black Mountains.
The forks were upgraded about six months ago, as were the tyres to Maxxis Minion DHF & DHRII.
I've also gone through 3 sets of brake pads, two chains, one cassette, a set of grips, a seat post clamp and a dropper post lever!
The dropper post lever was snapped off in a crash - blasting through the woods, bars clip a tree and its all over in a split second!!
It turns out that crash also caused a break leakage issue, so a hose repair and bleed was needed.
Other than those two repairs (which were my fault and nothing to do with the quality of the parts), everything else has just been the expected wear and tear.

My bike is tuned down to Eco 20%, Trail 60% and Boost 100% assist, so I'm typically getting 30 - 35 miles range per charge.
I couldn't be happier with this purchase and would love to hear stories from other riders who now have a bunch of miles on their bikes.

couchman75

Oct 29, 2019
New Zealand
Hi

Great to hear your experience. I bought a JAM² Plus LTD November 2018 as well, been mainly weekend rides at the local MTB park here in Napier, New Zealand. But also occasional trips to Taupo and Rotorua which have great MTB parks as well as trails etc. I also commute to work on it from time to time so have clocked up around 2500km, half of that would be commuting. I had an old Kona Full Suspension bike before this and only did occasional rides, frame cracked so made the decision to get an E-MTB based on trying a mates Levo and on trying to get out more. Its been awesome to say the least, I haven't owned a lot of bikes so can't really compare to others. Now summer is here I'm looking to get out 2 times a week and have learnt a lot over the last year, I can smash out a 30km ride in the park in under 2 hours. I've tuned my Eco mode down to 30% for when I feel like a good workout and want some more range 40-50km + 1000m of climbing, Trail and Boost are at factory. I'm on my 3rd set of rear brake pads, 2nd fronts, replaced back mech, assist switch and dropper post remote due to a wipeout but thats pretty much it. Now I've learnt how to really ride part of me is keen to try a normal bike and see how that goes, I'm sure my fitness isn't too bad. There are a few hills which might just be too demoralizing during the summer heat, I just don't enjoy climbing hills like some of the other riders here. I'd rather be cruising down the next track and enjoying 30km of riding rather than 15-20km and probably being just as tired at the end.
Cheers

S D

Mar 26, 2019
Shelley
Well, it just dawned on me that I've had my Jam2 Plus a year now as I took delivery of it in November 2018.

So, here's an update of how it's held up over the first year.

It's now got 1803 miles (2901 km) on the clock.
What a life changing idea it was to buy this thing!
It's not just the fact that it gives you a helping hand on the hills, but it's just such a well thought out bike and an absolute blast to ride.
I was a keen mtber before I bought it, but this thing has injected a totally new boost of enthusiasm and confidence to my riding.
I work from home, so I'm a classic example of the marketing hype for these things.
At lunch time, I can shoot out to my local woods/forest in about 8 minutes then tear around for an hour then home, or longer if the weathers good - then catch up with work later!!
It's been mainly ridden on the local trails here on the Isle of Wight where I live, but has also been blasted around Afan, conquered 'The Gap' ride in the Breacon Beacons and topped some of the peaks of the Black Mountains.
The forks were upgraded about six months ago, as were the tyres to Maxxis Minion DHF & DHRII.
I've also gone through 3 sets of brake pads, two chains, one cassette, a set of grips, a seat post clamp and a dropper post lever!
The dropper post lever was snapped off in a crash - blasting through the woods, bars clip a tree and its all over in a split second!!
It turns out that crash also caused a break leakage issue, so a hose repair and bleed was needed.
Other than those two repairs (which were my fault and nothing to do with the quality of the parts), everything else has just been the expected wear and tear.

My bike is tuned down to Eco 20%, Trail 60% and Boost 100% assist, so I'm typically getting 30 - 35 miles range per charge.
I couldn't be happier with this purchase and would love to hear stories from other riders who now have a bunch of miles on their bikes.
Which forks did you go for ?

ricardowight

Dec 28, 2018
Isle of Wight UK
Hi SD,
I swapped the 140mm RS Recons that came stock on the bike with 2019 150mm RS Revelations with the Debonair Spring.
Not the most expensive or technically advanced forks Rock Shox offer, but a huge upgrade on the Recons.
Much better, with more supple small bump response thanks to the Debonair.
Stiffer, due to the larger 35mm stanchions, and lots of support through mid to bigger hits.
They took an already confidence inspiring ride to the next level.
I'm very pleased with them and they are a great fork for my riding style/needs.

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
Hi SD,
I swapped the 140mm RS Recons that came stock on the bike with 2019 150mm RS Revelations with the Debonair Spring.
Not the most expensive or technically advanced forks Rock Shox offer, but a huge upgrade on the Recons.
Much better, with more supple small bump response thanks to the Debonair.
Stiffer, due to the larger 35mm stanchions, and lots of support through mid to bigger hits.
They took an already confidence inspiring ride to the next level.
I'm very pleased with them and they are a great fork for my riding style/needs.

I have that fork and I was already to replace the damper and upgrade to a Pike. Then I saw in a thread to ensure that the fork has been properly inflated, ie in steps with pauses for cycling the fork a number of times, all to ensure that the negative chamber is properly charged. This made a difference. Go to the Rockshox website (not the SRAM one, you won't find what you are looking for).

Next step was to change the number of tokens in the air chamber. For me, I had to remove one to get the feel I was looking for, you may have to do the same or even add some. Changing the number of tokens takes minutes. Read up on what to do and why, so that you know what change in the fork response you are looking for.

BBear

May 18, 2019
Bristol
Hi.
I seem to be living in a parallel universe to you - also got my Jam2 plus in November last year (heavily discounted 2018 model). Have changed the Recon forks to Pikes and the tyres to Minions. Have had to replace the rear cassette and chain as both badly worn plus minor changes like the grips and saddle And got a TEC pack for the longer trips.
I also work from home and like to bomb round local trails around Bristol. Also trips to Black Mountains, Mendips and Quantocks etc. Usually also have a group weekend ride where we bite off more than we can chew and all old enough to know better.
All Great fun!

ricardowight

Dec 28, 2018
Isle of Wight UK
Hi BBear - yes parallel universe indeed.
I've got an 'Old Blokes on Bikes' group that have been getting weekend trips to your neck of the woods for years (Wales mostly).
There's a gradual shift towards e-mtbs taking place amongst the group.
I reckon we'll be doing The Long Mynnd , Quantocks, Mendips around May/June next year.
Local advice would be really welcome - the more the merrier I say!!

ricardowight

Dec 28, 2018
Isle of Wight UK
Hi Steve,
My fork is set up sweet - but as you rightly point out there's a few things to consider to get it just right.
Mine had one token in when I first got it and I've removed it.
The fork is supple over the whole range that I want and I've yet to bottom it.
For the money the Revelation is a great fork.

BBear

May 18, 2019
Bristol
You’ll love the Quantocks - I think it’s my favourite, though Other places are more spectacular/technical. The Long Mynd is on our to do list as well.

Macone

E*POWAH Master
Oct 28, 2018
Wellington New Zealand
Had my Jam2 for 13 months. (fell off 6 weeks ago and broke some bones, so no riding now for a few months).
4000kms
3 x replacement chains
1 x replacement cassette
1 x replacement chain ring
4 x replacement sets of brake pads.
1 x replacement rear tyre (upgraded to Eddy Current)

I'm 115kgs and ride a mix of terrain, averaging around 800metres of climbing per ride.
use my TEC Pack on most rides as I enjoy longish rides.
Use Boost quite a bit on the steep stuff.

only issue has been a "sticky" dropper post

only upgrade i'm really interested in (apart from tyres) is some better front forks than my current Recon which is a bit light duty for my "robust" weight.

Simply the best toy I own and gets used way more than my Harley.

Getting real impatient waiting for my shoulder to repair enough so I can get back out there.

Telemarker

May 4, 2019
Aberdeenshire
My wife’s Jam2 is nearly a year old and done about 1100km, I reckon I borrowed it for 250km :) then trashed rear mech and hanger on it so was banned!
No other issues or parts replaced. I need to check chain wear and about to do
50 hr service on forks and rear shock

Got my Sam2 In March, that’s done a lot, 2000km. Jumps, mountain tracks up Munro’s in Scotland, all sorts trails
Also use TEC pack for longer rides

2x new chain
2x new set rear pads and 1x on front
1x replaced rear tyre
Had issues with snapped lower shock bolt, then it kept coming loose. But fingers X new shock mounting hardware has resolved this.
I have Serviced forks twice and rear shock 50hr service once
I Replaced the 8 frame pivot bearings this weekend
New headset on order as lower bearing cruddy and notchy

Been a great bike to ride , and bar issues with lower shock mount have enjoyed it

Got a Kona process 153 too, love that. But it’s always easier to take the Sam2 out for a ride :)
The Kona has had use when ebike being repaired

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles