Focus Jam2 - now with Top Tube Ghetto GPS,

ricardowight

Dec 28, 2018
Isle of Wight UK
I cobbled this up out of an old out of contract iPhone (no sim, Airplane mode) and downloaded all my collection of ViewRanger mapping to it.
Stuck it inside a £3 eBay rubberised phone case and attached a Velcro strap so that it can be fixed to the top tube, and it's a budget Garmin!!
Happy days.

IMG_1959.JPG

IMG_1960.JPG

IMG_1961.JPG

Chromedomey

Dec 16, 2018
Midlands UK
This is ace mate, can I ask what model iPhone that is, got a few knocking around home I’d wondered what I could repurpose as! Also have you had to purchase anything in terms of the mapping/ViewRanger?
Cheers. ?

ricardowight

Dec 28, 2018
Isle of Wight UK
Cheers Chromedomey,
It's an iPhone 4S 16Gb.
It's had all but essential apps deleted, so that there's plenty of space for map files. I've been using ViewRanger since they started up on various different phones, so I've built up quite a collection of OS maps over the years.
I don't know if it's still the case, but you used to either download ViewRanger for free and start from there. You buy credit then just get the maps you want as and when, or you could buy a start-up package that included credit.
Either way ViewRanger includes a range of free maps.
These are mainly on-line only which won't work with my Ghetto Garmin as it has no Sim/data contract.
BUT, it is possible to download the free maps.
I've used this technique when I've been working in China to access the Open Maps.
If you zoom in on the map area you want to use whilst connected to Wi-fi, the phone will cache the map tile.
It's still there when you disconnect from wifi and the GPS works as normal using the cached map!!!
So, it should be possible to put a system together for next to nothing.
There must be 1000s of old phones sitting in drawers that could be given a new lease of life.
Plus this system means you can leave your precious and super expensive current phone safely tucked in your pack out of harms way!!!

highpeakrider

E*POWAH Master
Aug 10, 2018
Peak District
Cheers Chromedomey,
It's an iPhone 4S 16Gb.
It's had all but essential apps deleted, so that there's plenty of space for map files. I've been using ViewRanger since they started up on various different phones, so I've built up quite a collection of OS maps over the years.
I don't know if it's still the case, but you used to either download ViewRanger for free and start from there. You buy credit then just get the maps you want as and when, or you could buy a start-up package that included credit.
Either way ViewRanger includes a range of free maps.
These are mainly on-line only which won't work with my Ghetto Garmin as it has no Sim/data contract.
BUT, it is possible to download the free maps.
I've used this technique when I've been working in China to access the Open Maps.
If you zoom in on the map area you want to use whilst connected to Wi-fi, the phone will cache the map tile.
It's still there when you disconnect from wifi and the GPS works as normal using the cached map!!!
So, it should be possible to put a system together for next to nothing.
There must be 1000s of old phones sitting in drawers that could be given a new lease of life.
Plus this system means you can leave your precious and super expensive current phone safely tucked in your pack out of harms way!!!

With view ranger if the user charges for it I just map my own to make a copy.
I never charge for my Peak District routes I have, its helping another MTB rider.

Its a great app, i also use it on holiday if we go out walking.

Last edited:

ricardowight

Dec 28, 2018
Isle of Wight UK
Yeah, Highpeakrider,
Great to share knowledge, tips, routes etc. With other riders.
It's all part of the spirit of being an MTBer.
I don't think that you can get the OS maps for free though.
I'm happy to pay for those personally, lots of effort goes into putting those together.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles