Focus Jam2 9.6 NINE delivery date.

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
I have just been give the expected date for the Focus Jam2 9.6 NINE...... (in blue)

"I have been informed by Focus that your bike will be ready around week 12 in 2019. Clearly at this stage that is just an estimated date which could change".

Chuffin 'eck! That is more than 3 months! It's an eternity! :eek: And it's not even guaranteed. :(
Will it even get here before Brexit day 29th Mar'19 (week 13), or will it be held up in customs? Will I be charged extra because there will be a tariff imposed?

Focus Bikes - JAM² 9.6 NINE

MattyB

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Jul 11, 2018
Herts, UK
What was their original estimate Steve? Xmas? Either way I think I would make sure the deal you negotiated is put in writing in case there is a nasty no-deal Brexit “surprise” (though I think it highly unlikely we will exit on March 29th given the horlicks all our politicians are making out of Brexit; thankfully the one thing a majority of parliament do seem to agree on is that no-deal would be an economic disaster in the medium term).

Last edited:

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
These have large instock with a free tec pack and you can get 10% off I think Focus Jam² 9.6 Nine Full Suspension Electric Mountain Bike 2019 | Sprockets Cycles
Oh dear! That has given me something to think about! But thanks for finding that link. :)

I've already got a TEC pack at cost and it has been delivered. The deal comes with 15% off, a free tubeless conversion, and it has been order for nearly two weeks now. And I've already paid 10% deposit. I've messed them about quite a bit too. I'll contact them to see if they can get hold of one sooner.

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
Did you get your new bike?

I went back to JE James (who I have my bike on order with) and asked them about Sprockets Cycles having them in stock. They told me that nobody has them in stock in the UK. They suspect that Sprockets Cycles say they have them in stock so that when you order one they can say that unfortunately they have just sold the last one in your size/colour but they can get you one.

So, no I haven't got one yet. But I did use the opportunity to ask about the timing of the week before Brexit. They assured me that if the bike was delayed after Brexit day and that there were any tariffs imposed as a consequence, the price already agreed would be adhered to.

Albez

Sep 14, 2018
United Kingdom
I went back to JE James (who I have my bike on order with) and asked them about Sprockets Cycles having them in stock. They told me that nobody has them in stock in the UK. They suspect that Sprockets Cycles say they have them in stock so that when you order one they can say that unfortunately they have just sold the last one in your size/colour but they can get you one.

So, no I haven't got one yet. But I did use the opportunity to ask about the timing of the week before Brexit. They assured me that if the bike was delayed after Brexit day and that there were any tariffs imposed as a consequence, the price already agreed would be adhered to.
In bike description:
"WE ONLY ADVERTISE IN STOCK ITEMS
More info: At Sprockets we know the excitement when you see a new product or deal that’s available to buy online. We also realise the disappointment when you go to take advantage and its unavailable or out of stock. That’s why we guarantee that when you see a product or a deal on our website, it’s in stock and available to buy. We only show what we have in stock. This way you can buy with confidence or actually come in store to touch and feel the products before you buy."

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
Wow! 3 weeks after being given a 14 week delivery time, it's here!

I've just had a phone call telling me that the bike is here, that it looks gorgeous and that it is having a "tubeless conversion as we speak". Looks like i'll be picking it up tomorrow. Yey! :D

The sales guy had no explanation as to why it was so early. He just muttered something about under promising and over delivering. I said that he nearly lost a sale through that. (Silence).

bissona

Patreon
Oct 14, 2018
Guernsey

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
Thanks for the link.

Hmm, 20.6kg that looks good. It says average bike weight, but does not specify the size, just that it was without pedals. I'll let you know what mine weighs.

MattyB

Jul 11, 2018
Herts, UK
Excellent news Steve - I hope you (and your knees) enjoy the new bike! Am I right in saying it is coming from Rutland Cycles?

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
Excellent news Steve - I hope you (and your knees) enjoy the new bike! Am I right in saying it is coming from Rutland Cycles?

Nope, it should have been because it was a Rutland Cycles demo day and one of their demo fleet that I rode that convinced me to go for the Focus Jam2. The 15% off voucher just made the decision much easier. But ... (long story short) JE James in Sheffield matched the deal and exceeded it. The deal was that good that JE James told me that they could not also offer interest free credit.

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
My 11-year old grandson is even more excited than me because I offered him first dibs on a ride. Yes, I know he's too small for it, and it's illegal on public roads, but he is a good enough rider to ride it off-road for a while, and I trust his ability not to crash it!

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
My limited experience of the Jam (I had a few ride on the 29'r) was that although its not game chantingly lighter, it feels and rides a lot lighter than most EMTB's out there.

It is also IMO the best non EMTB looking EMTB out there, Levo included, you are going Mohave a lot fo fun on it!

TheBikePilot

🎥SHOOTER🎥
Patreon
Author
Oct 9, 2018
Clapham, London
They’ve been against doing it as they aren’t popular in the states (ebikes) and they have such a cult following they are a bit worried about tarnishing the brand as everyone over there who is vocal is against SC bringing one out. But then as Henry Ford said ‘If i made things people said they wanted, id make a faster horse’

Kona screwed up and killed their whole brand image when they started selling bikes in Halfords to shift more units. People in the MTB world seem incredibly fickle and trend led.

Rumours are they will and yeh Focus are there ‘secret’ revenue stream for eBikes. I’d buy a Santa Cruz Emtb. Latest stats say eBikes are around 30% total sales for each brand. If they do, it will have the Santa Cruz price tag :)

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
I can see Santa Cruz going down the Fazua route or similar - Focus already do a couple of bikes with the Fazua so the know how is there in the group

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
Just got back from the not so local bike shop with the new Focus Jam2 9.6 NINE. :D
That's a carbon front triangled 29er.

The bike shop did the tubeless conversion for me as part of the deal. I removed all the junk and the bike weighs 20.4kg.

Need some spanner time now to get the bike set up to my liking.

Focus.jpg

highpeakrider

E*POWAH Master
Aug 10, 2018
Peak District
Just got back from the not so local bike shop with the new Focus Jam2 9.6 NINE. :D

The bike shop did the tubeless conversion for me as part of the deal. I removed all the junk and the bike weighs 20.4kg.

View attachment 9342
Nice, I quickly changed the seat and grips and added mudhuggers front and rear.

bissona

Patreon
Oct 14, 2018
Guernsey
I removed all the junk and the bike weighs 20.4kg.

Looks great, weight is slightly under the manufacturer's spec and you have it many weeks before you were expecting! Have a great weekend. :)

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
I have swapped the grips for some Ergon GP1, moved the dropper remote next to the grip and adjusted the rest of the bar furniture. I don't like the way the shifters and brake lever are mounted on one non-adjustable clamp. If I set the brake lever to the correct angle, the shifters are inaccessible. In order to use the shifters, I have compromised on the brake lever position (too far under the bar). That is going to have to change! I will separate the two.

Nothing on the bar clips the top tube (yey!) That was reported in one of the reviews of the 2018 bikes.

I have set the suspension and tyre pressures to my best estimate prior to actually riding the bike. The suspension settings were set to my usual defaults until I can ride the bike. On the fork I removed the top cap on the air side leg to see how many tokens were in there. The Revelation spec says no tokens for 150 and 160 travel forks. But there was one token in this 150 fork. Instead of requiring a big socket to remove the top cap, this redesigned top cap uses the same tool that locks the cassette in place or tightens the centre-lock brake discs. Nice to see some harmonising of tools across the suppliers.

Some helicopter tape was added to stop the front brake cable from wearing a groove in the fork leg. More tape will be added to the seat and chain stays. The underside of the down tube is already very well protected with a thick piece of preformed plastic; I can't improve on that!

Added a Mucky Nutz fender to the fork brace.

Amazingly, the angle of the saddle was spot on, but I ran out of time to check and adjust fore/aft setting.

I have a spare WTB Rocket V Race saddle in reserve, but I'll wait to see how the "Focus Trail Saddle" acquits itself before making any changes.

Last edited:

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
Looks great, weight is slightly under the manufacturer's spec and you have it many weeks before you were expecting! Have a great weekend. :)

Thanks Bissona. I believe that the reason the bike (size Large) is under mfr spec weight is due to the tubeless conversion. Each tube weighs 239gm, a total of almost half a kilo! To offset that of course is the amount of sealant the bike shop used. I don't actually know, but I'd guess at 150ml per tyre, so lets say a total of 300g. That puts the bike at losing a bit less than 200gm vs the mfr spec (averaged across all sizes).

highpeakrider

E*POWAH Master
Aug 10, 2018
Peak District
Dropper is a poor design, I find I’m trying to brake while at the same time lowering the seat which stops you breaking.

Think I’m going to change the switch and lever at some point.

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
Dropper is a poor design, I find I’m trying to brake while at the same time lowering the seat which stops you breaking.

Think I’m going to change the switch and lever at some point.

I now have on the left side; grip, dropper remote, brake, Di2 levers. I have yet to ride the bike for real, but I do not believe that I will be prevented from braking whilst dropping the saddle. It was not an issue for me when demoing the bike a few months ago despite the dropper remote being between the brake clamp and the Di2 clamp. But as I say, I have yet to ride the bike for real.

MattyB

Jul 11, 2018
Herts, UK

View attachment 9342
Epic fail - you forgot the mandatory white goods in the background! ?

Ahhh, the (very) old ones are the best...?

Only joking - looks gorgeous, that is a great colour.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles