Focus Jam2 6.9 Drifter...Anyone riding one yet?

RCDallas

May 28, 2019
Italy
I've been searching the internet for all info concerning the new Jam2 6.9 Drifter and not much out there. I have seen it as low as 3,900 euros which would be a bargain considering its spec...Fox 36float & Float DPS, Mavic XA wheelset, GX Eagle, XT brakes...Opinions?

Peaky Rider

E*POWAH Master
Feb 9, 2019
Derbyshire Dales
I bought one last November. It wasn't my first choice as I wanted a 6.8 nine (29" wheels, Fox suspension and XT kit), but I was told they weren't available until the following April and there was also a 10% discount at the time.
Didn't fancy a c/f frame for fear of breakage with the bike being so heavy.

For some reason my bike came with Magura brakes, I would have preferred Shimano as I am very familiar with them but the Maguras are fine.

I don't know what to tell you about the bike as it is the only e-bike I have ridden to any great extent, other than I feel perfectly comfortable and confident riding it and I finish every ride with a smile on my face.

If Focus can come up with a higher capacity battery, which they must be working on, that would make it perfect for me as I find the range from the current main battery five miles short for a typical ride and it's a pain having to carry the TEC battery around 'just in case'.

At the end of the day it's a very good looking and perfectly capable bike at a sensible price at a time when e-bike prices seem to be going a bit silly.

RCDallas

May 28, 2019
Italy
I went for the 9.6 plus, purely for the carbon frame..
But Drifter was on my shortlist

I like the lighter weight of the carbon frame and am considering the 9.6 as well at the same price as the Driftrer. The higher spec of the Drifter gives it the edge for me...

I bought one last November. It wasn't my first choice as I wanted a 6.8 nine (29" wheels, Fox suspension and XT kit), but I was told they weren't available until the following April and there was also a 10% discount at the time.
Didn't fancy a c/f frame for fear of breakage with the bike being so heavy.

For some reason my bike came with Magura brakes, I would have preferred Shimano as I am very familiar with them but the Maguras are fine.

I don't know what to tell you about the bike as it is the only e-bike I have ridden to any great extent, other than I feel perfectly comfortable and confident riding it and I finish every ride with a smile on my face.

If Focus can come up with a higher capacity battery, which they must be working on, that would make it perfect for me as I find the range from the current main battery five miles short for a typical ride and it's a pain having to carry the TEC battery around 'just in case'.

At the end of the day it's a very good looking and perfectly capable bike at a sensible price at a time when e-bike prices seem to be going a bit silly.

Thanks for the reply! Magura are powerful brakes and I would be just as happy with them as well. It would be interesting to see if lowering the power in ECO with the new E-Tube update can help you with those last 5 miles. What Mileage and elevation are you currently getting out of the battery? Also, I have a question about the front fork...What is the axle size?

Peaky Rider

E*POWAH Master
Feb 9, 2019
Derbyshire Dales
"I like the lighter weight of the carbon frame and am considering the 9.6 as well at the same price as the Driftrer. The higher spec of the Drifter gives it the edge for me..."

I'm a big fan of c/f and all of my last nine pedal bikes have been c/f. I just felt that a weight saving I believe of 450 grammes on a 22 kilo bike would not be noticeable.

"What Mileage and elevation are you currently getting out of the battery? ."

In the cold, wet winter months I was getting around 20 miles (32 km) but yesterday when it was warm and very dry it was up to 30 miles (48 km). Elevation yesterday was 3,500 ft (1066m).
I would say I ride in eco or off 90%of the time.
I don't run the big heavy 2.8 rear tyre, I use a 2.4 and a 2.6 depending on ride.

"Also, I have a question about the front fork...What is the axle size?"

The hubs on the Drifter are 'boost' with a front diameter of 15mm and rear of 12mm

Last edited:

RCDallas

May 28, 2019
Italy
"
In the cold, wet winter months I was getting around 20 miles (32 km) but yesterday when it was warm and very dry it was up to 30 miles (48 km). Elevation yesterday was 3,500 ft (1066m).
I would say I ride in eco or off 90%of the time.
I don't run the big heavy 2.8 rear tyre, I use a 2.4 and a 2.6 depending on ride.

That is about an average ride for me as well. Today I took my Brose powered Bulls E-Stream hard tail out for 36km and 711mt and used less than 2 of 5 bars of the 630 w/hr pack on mostly fire road with a little trail and hard surface.

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
I'm a big fan of c/f and all of my last nine pedal bikes have been c/f. I just felt that a weight saving I believe of 450 grammes on a 22 kilo bike would not be noticeable.

My size large Focus Jam2 9.6 NINE weighs 20.4 kg, without pedals but with inner tubes.

I now run it with stickier 2.5" tyres vs the fast rolling 2.6" standard, now tubeless with sealant, and with heavier Ergon GP1 grips, ad loads of helicopter tape! It still weighs the same.

Peaky Rider

E*POWAH Master
Feb 9, 2019
Derbyshire Dales
That is about an average ride for me as well. Today I took my Brose powered Bulls E-Stream hard tail out for 36km and 711mt and used less than 2 of 5 bars of the 630 w/hr pack on mostly fire road with a little trail and hard surface.

The battery on your Bulls is more than 50% bigger than the 378wh one on the Focus and I am afraid that the battery size is the reason I would not buy another focus as it does not suit my personal requirements.

RCDallas

May 28, 2019
Italy
The battery on your Bulls is more than 50% bigger than the 378wh one on the Focus and I am afraid that the battery size is the reason I would not buy another focus as it does not suit my personal requirements.

I can understand that. If Focus we're able to up the internal battery to 500wh with no increase in weight then it would be perfect. The TEC pack could still be used for those big days out.
I'm still curious to see if changing the power level in eco will make enough of a difference to your range to give you those last 5 miles.
I had the motor replaced on my Bulls under warranty and they upgraded the software which tuned down all power levels a little to better manage heat. Prior to this my battery would last just a little more than my wife's Bosch powered bike with 500mh battery. Now it seems to have at least 20% more range than before. I do have to work a bit harder on steep technical climbs but still get up them without issue.
Have you considered trying the E-Tube update?

RCDallas

May 28, 2019
Italy
My size large Focus Jam2 9.6 NINE weighs 20.4 kg, without pedals but with inner tubes.

I now run it with stickier 2.5" tyres vs the fast rolling 2.6" standard, now tubeless with sealant, and with heavier Ergon GP1 grips, ad loads of helicopter tape! It still weighs the same.

That is an impressive weight and keeps the 9.6 in the running...thanks!

RCDallas

May 28, 2019
Italy
I can understand that. If Focus we're able to up the internal battery to 500wh with no increase in weight then it would be perfect. The TEC pack could still be used for those big days out.
I'm still curious to see if changing the power level in eco will make enough of a difference to your range to give you those last 5 miles.
I had the motor replaced on my Bulls under warranty and they upgraded the software which tuned down all power levels a little to better manage heat. Prior to this my battery would last just a little more than my wife's Bosch powered bike with 500mh battery. Now it seems to have at least 20% more range than before. I do have to work a bit harder on steep technical climbs but still get up them without issue.
Have you considered trying the E-Tube update?
Oh yeah...and my Bulls weighs in at 24.3kg which is quite stout for a hard tail!

Peaky Rider

E*POWAH Master
Feb 9, 2019
Derbyshire Dales
I'm still curious to see if changing the power level in eco will make enough of a difference to your range to give you those last 5 miles."

Absolutely agree 100% and, coincidentally, when I contacted Focus after a month of Jam2 ownership with a question about the battery, in their response they said that their technicians were working on a bigger battery. At the time, not knowing much about e-bike batteries, I thought they meant physically bigger for a new model , but with hindsight, I guess they were talking about more power. Not heard anything since though.

"Have you considered trying the E-Tube update?

I ride in ECO most of the time, which until recently, could not be adjusted on the Shimano E8000. Also, what's the point paying for technology and then winding back to almost manual levels and I would still probably end up with range anxiety.
"

Last edited:

Davidh218

Jun 14, 2019
Scotland
I’ve got the carbon Drifter it’s superb I’ve tried the Sam as well which I would say is better on really steep trails and faster enduro style trails just more stable, but overall the Drifter is superb better for bigger trail style days

RCDallas

May 28, 2019
Italy
I’ve got the carbon Drifter it’s superb I’ve tried the Sam as well which I would say is better on really steep trails and faster enduro style trails just more stable, but overall the Drifter is superb better for bigger trail style days

The carbon Drifter looks and sounds really nice. Congrats! I Was just checking out a barely used Sam2 6.8 with TEC pack today for a great price but I don't think I will ever get to being "fast" on the Enduro trails so still thinking the 150 Jam2 might be a better fit for me. Not ruling it out just yet though...very tempting price!

RCDallas

May 28, 2019
Italy
In 10 days I will have 1

Congrats! After today's release of the new Bosch powered Jam2 with bigger battery I have more to consider. Not planning to purchase anything until after our holidays to the States anyways so there's time to see how the new motor gets on.

Peaky Rider

E*POWAH Master
Feb 9, 2019
Derbyshire Dales
The 2020 Drifter seems to answer the two main issues I have with my 2019 Drifter (ability to remove the battery and battery size).
On the down side, Bosch have reportedly made their new motor hack proof, not a problem for many but a bit of a mean move none the less.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles