Focus Jam2 6.8 Nine coming next week(hopefully) - Anything to know?

ogden

Sep 8, 2020
North Yorkshire
Hi Guys

Hopefully my Focus Jam2 6.8 Nine is coming next week, can't wait. Managed to get one for £3680 which seemed like a really good deal.

I've got a set of Code R Brakes, Lyrik Ultimate Forks, Magic Mary/Big Betty Tyres, One Up 150mm dropper (off an old bike), Charge Saddle and a handlebar mount for the kiox display all ready to go on the bike when it comes.

Is there anything that I should know about the bike or anything else that's worth upgrading from the start?

I'm aware of the issues people have with the rear hub as my friend has the 6.7.

Cheers

Last edited:

TrailBoB

Apr 27, 2020
Scotland
Hi Guys

Hopefully my Focus Jam2 6.8 Nine is coming next week, can't wait. Managed to get one for £3680 which seemed like a really good deal.

I've got a set of Code R Brakes, Lyrik Ultimate Forks, Magic Mary/Big Betty Tyres, One Up 150mm dropper (off an old bike), Charge Saddle and a handlebar mount for the kiox display all ready to go on the bike when it comes.

Is there anything that I should know about the bike or anything else that's worth upgrading from the start?

Cheers
I have a 2020 Jam 6.8 nine. Been really impressed with it. The weakness for me is the rear suspension. Not sure if it’s the shock, or the way the FOLD suspension system works, but you seem to have a fair amount of unassisted/low assistance travel. I keep meaning to try a volume spacer in the shock, but not got around to it yet. I know a lot on here have changed our the shock for an after market unit. I see you are swapping to Code R brakes, I find the shimarno ones very good, but having not rode with Code R’s can’t compare. Hope you enjoy the bike.

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
First things first! Check that the levers don't hit the top tube when the bar rotates. If they do, move the stem spacers so that all are below the stem.

Check the upper and lower shock mounting bolts for the presence of Loctite blue. If it's not there add some and re-torque the bolts. If there is some there, then clean it off and add some more.

Check the rear axle and add some loctite blue, torque to correct level. The rear axle was coming loose slowly and affecting the rear shifting. I spotted it, torqued it up, happened again. Loctite blue sorted it once and for all.

Check the motor mounting bolts for tightness. One of them unscrewed and chewed through the chain ring spider. Not a lot, but enough to wreck it.

When winter comes, keep the charger above 10degC. The 4.5Amp chargers don't like charging a low battery at low temps. But if the charger is warm at the start, no problem.

Eventually I added one token to the shock. Despite a Quark ShockWiz saying I didn't need it. Yet it feels and performs a lot better. I discovered that I needed far more rebound damping on the shock than I have ever needed on any other bike. I was going to go with MegNeg, but happy now.

slo007

Dec 8, 2020
Ireland
Eventually I added one token to the shock. Despite a Quark ShockWiz saying I didn't need it. Yet it feels and performs a lot better. I discovered that I needed far more rebound damping on the shock than I have ever needed on any other bike. I was going to go with MegNeg, but happy now.

How did you find the correct 'token' to order? I feel my rear shock would probably improve from additional damping. It keeps bottoming out, despite having the correct pressure and another 20-30psi in it.

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
How did you find the correct 'token' to order? I feel my rear shock would probably improve from additional damping. It keeps bottoming out, despite having the correct pressure and another 20-30psi in it.
You can buy a set of tokens for your shock on line. Each set has different sizes within it; pick one, fit it and see what it feels like. Then go bigger or smaller. Read the instructions and DO NOT fit more tokens than the maximum or you will break your shock.

duty dave

Jan 25, 2021
Brisbane
Hi Guys

Cheers
yeah mate rear hub is no good, do yourself a favour put a hope pro 4 hub in it.. problem solved

Marquez93

Oct 21, 2021
Kent, UK
yeah mate rear hub is no good, do yourself a favour put a hope pro 4 hub in it.. problem solved
Novatec have modified the Freehub to enclosed bearing races rather than open ball bearings. Stops the grinding on freewheel after a wet run, the rain washes the grease out regardless of how well you've packed.
Unless you have another reason to be unhappy with the hub

Landy Andy

Feb 8, 2021
Herts
Just swapped across to Hope Pro 4 hubs on my 2021 Focus. The Nova design was poor, and caused failure, and ruined a good ride.

Landy Andy

Feb 8, 2021
Herts
Ok. I don't think my riding is that hot that I would notice a poor hub. 🤦‍♂️😁
You will once the hub strips it’s teeth, your legs go flying around and you fall off. Well I noticed it.
894C1A71-1C90-4B92-9EF3-C32650509431.jpeg

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles