Focus jam 2 servicing

Yorkshire Rich

Aug 1, 2019
westyorkshire
Hi i have just bought a focus jam 2 from Rutland cycling last week i am awaiting a steel lock up coming in 10 days so other than a quick look around the bike iv'e not set it up . With regards to warranty and servicing all that came with the bike was a service booklet on the first page was a section where the dealer could stamp that the bike has been checked before sending out and this is blank . Anyone know if this could affect any claim. Also do you have to take the bike to the dealer you bought it from for service as i live 75 miles away from them in Leeds.

aarfeldt

E*POWAH Master
Subscriber
May 25, 2019
Denmark, Danstrup
Included in my Focus Jam2 buy was the free 1. servicing, where everything would be torqued up.
I allways maintain my bikes my self, but since this is my first eMTB...they got it in for the 1. service (it's free anyway), and warranty claims might be easier (hopefully I never have to use it).
It was mostly to get the "service stamp".

If you don't do it, your bike will fail soon and warranty is gone (Murphy's law)
If you do it, your bike will last 4ever without issues :)

OldBean

E*POWAH Elite
Patreon
Apr 28, 2018
East anglia
Have the same situation with Rutland ...However I live a bit nearer but still a PITA to return ...they gave me free servicing as compensation for some purchase issues , at check up time they offered to stamp my service book "when you come in for a Total Service " meaning 4 hours of complete dismantling . so not impressed with their handling of this issue,,... If needed I have original sales invoice to prove "purchase" to Focus ..but I hear Focus are not the best at communication.
Lets hope we dont get any warranty issues.:oops:
One lesson is to buy from the nearest dealer ..preferably not a major chain store

Yorkshire Rich

Aug 1, 2019
westyorkshire
Have the same situation with Rutland ...However I live a bit nearer but still a PITA to return ...they gave me free servicing as compensation for some purchase issues , at check up time they offered to stamp my service book "when you come in for a Total Service " meaning 4 hours of complete dismantling . so not impressed with their handling of this issue,,... If needed I have original sales invoice to prove "purchase" to Focus ..but I hear Focus are not the best at communication.
Lets hope we dont get any warranty issues.:oops:
One lesson is to buy from the nearest dealer ..preferably not a major chain store
I might email Rutland then and see what they say as iv'e got nothing really from them apart from this service book no offer of a free first service . In the service book 99% of the parts are wear parts and not covered anyway so may bite the bullet and take it to my local bike shop if anything needs doing i cant do or service. i'll fire off an email to rutland and focus first see where i stand. As regards to my local shop i went round a few and all seemed to not really have a great attitude or not really interested and didn't have many electric bikes in . i'd f thought you could take it to other bike shops to be serviced i was looking at canyon bikes and surly you don't have to post it back to germany for it to be serviced.

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
I bought my bike from J E James in Sheffield, which is a 1hr 20min drive for me, assuming no traffic problems en route. That distance is a right pain, because it means either dropping it off and finding something to do for the hours they have it, or I go home and return later - maybe the next day! Rutland Cycling is only 30 mins away on a bad day. So when I had an electrical problem I took the bike there.
RC said they charge a fixed fee of £35 for warranty claims for bikes not bought from them, which I think is fair. If the problem is something big, (motor, battery, frame etc) or is definitely not a user problem (hub axle failure....) then that's it, £35 is all you pay and they will do the rest. But if there is some doubt, like who exactly damaged the electric cable between the battery and the frame? Then £35 is not enough to compensate RC for all the phoning and emailing while they seek someone else to pay. In the instance of the cable, RC told me that Shimano would say, "it was fine when it left us, talk to Focus they installed it". Focus will say "the bike has had a replacement battery, talk to whoever fitted the replacement"..... which was JEJames!
RC say that they have never managed to get a competitor to pay them any money in these circumstances, no matter how justified. So I had to pay the £23.99 for the cable, but not for the £30/hour x 2.5 hours to fault-find and replace it. RC gave me the damaged cable and I contacted JE James, who after a short delay for consideration, paid me in full.

JEJames are nice people and very efficient, but it is worth it to me to pay £35 to avoid having to drive to Sheffield and back (twice, mostly) for everything that is a warranty claim. If it's not a warranty claim, and I can't fix it myself, then it's Rutland Cycling all the way. They are nice people too! :)

Yorkshire Rich

Aug 1, 2019
westyorkshire
I bought my bike from J E James in Sheffield, which is a 1hr 20min drive for me, assuming no traffic problems en route. That distance is a right pain, because it means either dropping it off and finding something to do for the hours they have it, or I go home and return later - maybe the next day! Rutland Cycling is only 30 mins away on a bad day. So when I had an electrical problem I took the bike there.
RC said they charge a fixed fee of £35 for warranty claims for bikes not bought from them, which I think is fair. If the problem is something big, (motor, battery, frame etc) or is definitely not a user problem (hub axle failure....) then that's it, £35 is all you pay and they will do the rest. But if there is some doubt, like who exactly damaged the electric cable between the battery and the frame? Then £35 is not enough to compensate RC for all the phoning and emailing while they seek someone else to pay. In the instance of the cable, RC told me that Shimano would say, "it was fine when it left us, talk to Focus they installed it". Focus will say "the bike has had a replacement battery, talk to whoever fitted the replacement"..... which was JEJames!
RC say that they have never managed to get a competitor to pay them any money in these circumstances, no matter how justified. So I had to pay the £23.99 for the cable, but not for the £30/hour x 2.5 hours to fault-find and replace it. RC gave me the damaged cable and I contacted JE James, who after a short delay for consideration, paid me in full.

JEJames are nice people and very efficient, but it is worth it to me to pay £35 to avoid having to drive to Sheffield and back (twice, mostly) for everything that is a warranty claim. If it's not a warranty claim, and I can't fix it myself, then it's Rutland Cycling all the way. They are nice people too! :)
Looks like it’s a 75 mile trip to Rutland for the first service then . It’s not too bad straight down the m1 and I suppose it’s worth taking it back to the guys I bought it from to get it all checked out.

Yorkshire Rich

Aug 1, 2019
westyorkshire
Hi just had a response from Rutland and according to them i can take the bike to any local shop to get it serviced they also say i have to enter my frame number on a website to activate warranty i presume this is on focus main website ? anyone have any experience of doing this.

Reactions: MsO

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
Hmmmm. I know it was only Jan this year I bought the bike, but I can't recall registering the frame number. But it is the sort of thing I would have done if there was some paperwork with the bike that said I should.
But, I've had two warranty claims already; one from the shop I bought it from, JEJames, and one from Rutland Cycling. So I am covered!

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles