Focus Jam 2 Battery problems

bikerian 7

Mar 4, 2021
Burnley
my bike has been in the dealers workshop for 4 MONTHS after being diagnosed with a cracked Battery, they are telling me there are non available at this time, and they have 3 other bikes with the same Fault, I've tried Focus customer service, but they really don't want to know, anyone else had or having similar issues, to compound matters I had already ordered and paid for a new SAM 6.9 but feel I've made a mistake staying loyal to the Brand.

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
Instead of a new Sam2 6.9, buy a used Focus Jam2 that has the battery you need. Either ride that until your main Focus gets fixed or ask the LBS to swap the batteries so you can ride while they do the warranty fix. That must work out cheaper overall.

OldBean

E*POWAH Elite
Patreon
Apr 28, 2018
East anglia
you might try Rutland Cycles in Cambridge......My Jam2 battery was deteriorating fast and stopped turning on........
They had 2 new batteries in stock....well 1 now as I bought one of them.....
It cost more to replace the internal battery than the cost of the TEC pack..!! might be cheaper to run on TEC packs and replace that when time comes but you will need alternative place for water bottle .
The BIG question is the long term availability of batteries for any Ebike ......dont sell your analogue bike just yet.:confused:

Spreaders

May 4, 2020
Cornwall
Just over a year of use and I have run my Jam² Shimano equipped bike almost exclusively on the internal battery, a few times switching to the Tec pack second. Not been doing that many miles as only tend to go out for an hour or so at a time. Not been very tempted to plan bigger rides as always felt the range of the system was pretty poor.

Having recently started using the Tec pack first to try to preserve the life of the internal I have noticed a very big difference in range between the two.

Whereas I will generally get down to 1 bar after about 25km on the internal 378wh (no real change since new, now about 1500km in) I can easily do 35km on the Tec battery and have 2 bars left. Both using eco for about 90% trail for the rest, never boost.

Is there a more scientific way of testing the internal battery condition/functionality and is there anything I can do if there is a fault?

Ta. P.

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
To @Spreaders I am no expert on this, at all! But you can go to a Focus dealer and they will tell you. The battery is not a Shimano battery so Shimano won't help you; it's one specified and supplied by Focus. OR, you might be able to buy some computer trickery that will enable you to interrogate your bike. That same trickery will also allow you to do unspeakable things to your set up. Members of this Forum will tell you what and where to buy.

Spreaders

May 4, 2020
Cornwall
Apologies for the thread crash and thank you @steve_sordy for the reply.

The ability to conduct an examination would be very useful however possessing the software to carry out any other tweaking has the potential to go very wrong.

I will track down a friendly local Focus dealer and see what they can tell me after I offer payment for the service and an apology for buying my heavily discounted bike from Germany!

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
Apologies for the thread crash and thank you @steve_sordy for the reply.

The ability to conduct an examination would be very useful however possessing the software to carry out any other tweaking has the potential to go very wrong.

I will track down a friendly local Focus dealer and see what they can tell me after I offer payment for the service and an apology for buying my heavily discounted bike from Germany!
Don't apologise for where you bought the bike. I would not even volunteer the information. If they ask where you got it, all you have to say is another dealer.

sdcoffeeroaster

Jul 22, 2018
San Diego, CA
On this same note: what do we know about rebuilding the existing battery pack (Shimano motor)? I've head things like you have to maintain voltage on the BMS (easy to do) and the the pack may have to be initialized by some external program (not so easy) etc. I've built 3 packs myself now and would like to try rebuilding a pack if I can get my hands on one. My existing pack has 3500 mah LG batteries I think and I would also use 3500 mah replacements, cost about $150 for the batteries plus probably lots of work. I don't need it yet since by using one of 3 external packs I have, most of my ride is not on the native pack. My native pack is still predicting 40 miles in ECO set to medium and has only dropped once from 44. Once I started using the external mostly my native pack gets very light charging and might last many years now.

If the native pack was put together by someone then it surely can be taken apart and put together the same way. I have a spot welder and various supplies to do this now but need to find a spent or weaken pack somewhere to see if it's even possible for myself. have asked the former Focus dealer here in my area. By the way they once again said that Focus is forbidden from selling (by their parent company Pon Holdings in the Netherlands) in the US because of Santa Cruz (also owned by Pon) and competition with them. Their loss because I don't want a Santa Cruz ebike.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles