• How to use this section. To the thread starter: Once you are satisfied with the answer that youve been given, click the Trophy on the left hand side of the message. This will rate this answer as the 'Best Answer' and will change the question status from 'Unanswerd' to 'Answered'. All members can also upvote an answer with the 'Up' arrow, this will help identify the best answer.

Answered Focus charging point cover

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
When I was testing the Focus Jam2 eBike, I noticed that the charging point is underneath the top tube and it is sealed with a magnetic plug. Once it's in, it seems quite secure, but the magnet doesn't "snap" into position firmly enough for my taste. I wouldn't trust it to stay in place when ploughing over rough ground at speed.
The dealer told me that the plugs are expensive! I considered riding without the plug, but that would leave the contacts exposed.
Are my fears justified? What do the Focus owners out there say? I'm assuming that the Sam2 will be the same.

Lad

Nov 15, 2018
Australia
I believe that the squared Jams, Sams and Bolds are the same in that regard.

When I bough my Bold, there was no seal cover at all. I found it odd to leave battery male contacts exposed like that and suspected that there supposed to be some sort of protection, but somehow I didn't follow it through with previous owner. He probably lost it.

Ever since I'm riding without it, so far so good, charges without problem, but these contact will inevitably oxidise and would need to be cleaned.

When I wash bike I just wrap few layers of 2" wide strip of cling film over that area.

I was thinking of smearing a silicone conductive grease over the contacts, but bike is covered with fine dust after each ride, so I think that may be a counterproductive move.

I'm with Steve here to hear from other Focus teammates have to say on this issue.

KRolo

Dec 1, 2018
fullsail25
When I was testing the Focus Jam2 eBike, I noticed that the charging point is underneath the top tube and it is sealed with a magnetic plug. Once it's in, it seems quite secure, but the magnet doesn't "snap" into position firmly enough for my taste. I wouldn't trust it to stay in place when ploughing over rough ground at speed.
The dealer told me that the plugs are expensive! I considered riding without the plug, but that would leave the contacts exposed.
Are my fears justified? What do the Focus owners out there say? I'm assuming that the Sam2 will be the same.

Hi. New here and this is my first post. I got my Focus Jam2 yesterday and I couldn't find the plug for covering the contact pts. Did it come attached to the bike somewhere or in the box with the booklets and reflectors?

bissona

Patreon
Oct 14, 2018
Guernsey
I tend to forget to put mine on 90% of the time and have had no issues as a result. It's a pretty protected spot anyway, and a little grease from time to time keeps any moisture at bay.

Incidentally, when I've been riding with it in it has (obviously) never fallen out, but I'm not doing 6ft drop offs or back flips....

The connector is a Rosenberger, and their part number for the magnetic cap appears to be the M4Z003-000. I dare say it has a different part number from Focus, but it will be the same product. c.$10 apparently.

ETA: https://www.rosenberger.com/0_documents/de/catalogs/ba_automotive/AUTO_RoPD_Flyer_2016.pdf

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
Many thanks to bissona for that link, it should prove useful to KRolo and Lad. I'm hoping that I never have to use it but I've filed it away just in case. It's good to know that you haven't lost yours yet and have had no problems from leaving it off. The connector protrudes a bit and could get knocked off. If only the magnet was stronger!

@KRolo: The caps are magnetic, so they may be stuck to something else magnetic or something made from ferrous metal elsewhere in the box. If it absolutely is not there, I'd get back to the dealer.

I was thinking of putting a zip tie around it, but that could be a bit scratchy and not flexible enough for on/off use. I might bodge a thick rubber band or a piece of old inner tube and slide it over the connector. Unless anyone has a better idea.

Last edited:

KRolo

Dec 1, 2018
fullsail25
Many thanks to bissona for that link, it should prove useful to KRolo and Lad. I'm hoping that I never have to use it but I've filed it away just in case. It's good to know that you haven't lost yours yet and have had no problems from leaving it off. The connector protrudes a bit and could get knocked off. If it only the magnet was stronger!

@KRolo: The caps are magnetic, so they may be stuck to something else magnetic or something made from ferrous metal elsewhere in the box. If it absolutely is not there, I'd get back to the dealer.

I was thinking of putting a zip tie around it, but that could be a bit scratchy and not flexible enough for on/off use. I might bodge a thick rubber band or a piece of old inner tube and slide it over the connector. Unless anyone has a better idea.
Thanks for the comeback. I'll look around again.

bissona

Patreon
Oct 14, 2018
Guernsey
The last entry (#16 from bazzapage) recommends drilling a small hole through the top of the cap and attaching by a tether to your bike.

I saw that, and liked it, but the cover looks slightly different from ours. I will have a look when I get home as its a bloody good idea.

Could drill a 2mm hole through the frame/plug housing and then use a tiny piece of 2mm dyneema, knotted on the far side and passed through a small hole on the cap. Would be neat and less likely to catch on branches, etc while riding.

KRolo

Dec 1, 2018
fullsail25
Thanks for the comeback. I'll look around again.
I called Jenson where I bought the Jam2 and asked where my charging port cover might be. He said they don't have covers on the port. I told him what I have read here and he looked at their bikes and talked to a manager and said that they don't have charging port covers on the bikes. ????

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
I called Jenson where I bought the Jam2 and asked where my charging port cover might be. He said they don't have covers on the port. I told him what I have read here and he looked at their bikes and talked to a manager and said that they don't have charging port covers on the bikes. ????

Well, they might not have them, but Focus do provide them, at least in the UK through JE James Cycles.

I first saw them on a 2018 Focus Jam2 Factory that I had for a few days. I had bought it from JE James eBike Centre in Sheffield, UK. I had quite a discussion with the manager there about the lack of grip in the magnet. Sadly the bike had to go back after a few days, but long enough for me to start worrying about how to keep the protective cover in place, and whether I really did need it (Answer: yes, where I ride).

When I test rode a Jam2 6.7 Plus early in November, the presence of the cover was not pointed out and I have no idea whether it was present or not, as I wasn't looking for it. That bike was supplied from Rutland Cycling, Whitwell branch, UK.

Lad

Nov 15, 2018
Australia
Thanks everybody.

I think I'll try to fashion something out of velcro strap. 3M makes a heavy duty version which I used before.
I hanged a large ceramic tile (painting) on the wall using these 3M velcro strips and it is still there three years later, it is good good stuff.

There are two flat tabs on top and bottom of the charging port, with a surface area that seems to be large enough to hold the hook part of velcro strip. May even reinforce the bond with extra dab of Araldite. It is important that these two bits stay there. Then I'll cut and trim the loop strip with extra length on the bottom for finger hold. I'd experiment with a length and strength of this loop strip so it will be easy to handle without spoiling the stealth look.

It won't be totally waterproof cover, but should be good enough the keep dust and gunk away.
Due to position of that connector. I can't imagine a situation that the contact could possibly be damaged mechanically.

I'll give it a try over Christmas break and report here.

Cheers.

Gravityslave

Dec 11, 2018
Cornwall, UK
Hi guys, just purchased a SAM2 which came without a blanking plug. Getting grit and dirt in the socket with this weather we are having, so chasing up a plug through dealer, Focus and Rosenberger, hopefully one will come through ;-)

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles