Focus Bold 2 29er

Sedona03

Mar 13, 2019
Bristol
Hi all, newbie here.. Alan from Bristol UK.. Riding a Bold 2 cause the Jam 2 was too expensive then 3 weeks later it was same price as the Bold, bloody typical! Anyway I love it, too old and achy for crazy jumps so fast smoothish trails for me.. I'm trying to customizer it for taste, what do yoyou think? 40mm rise, 800mm width, death grips and a levered dropper because the bars would be too cluttered.. Here's a pic or two.. Also like to change rear wheel for 27.5 with plus tyre but been told not possible, why? That seems to be the trend now, any advice?..

IMG_20190411_162338.jpg

IMG_20190411_162345.jpg

Lad

Nov 15, 2018
Australia
I have Bold2 Plus (Raceface AC40 27.5 wheels) with 2.8'' tyres front and back.

I'd suspect the frame is the same on 29er, so I don't see reason why 27.5 wheel would not fit.
However, it looks like your rims are narrower, so perhaps whoever told you it is impossible, thinks that rim is too narrow for 28" tyre.

I'm not huge fan of plus tyres, but on hardtail the fat rear tyre give some extra cushion. I'm old and knackered from one too many moto crashes...

Sedona03

Mar 13, 2019
Bristol
Hi Lad, thanks for message.. Specialized said they'd do the change but then said they wouldn't cause it may alter the motor.. I know I will have to get wider rim wheel for tyre to fit but a bit pricey if it doesn't work..

Lad

Nov 15, 2018
Australia
Also one more thing to consider is when changing wheel or even tyre size, the Shimano controller needs to be re-programmed for change in wheel/tyre combo circumference.
I've discussed it with a Thok Mig dealer head mechanic. He was willing to replace plus size tyre with 2.6" and offered free re-program. The catch is not many people are certified by Shimano to do that, claiming that he knows only 2 more guys doing in Australia.

Cheers.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles