• How to use this section. To the thread starter: Once you are satisfied with the answer that youve been given, click the Trophy on the left hand side of the message. This will rate this answer as the 'Best Answer' and will change the question status from 'Unanswerd' to 'Answered'. All members can also upvote an answer with the 'Up' arrow, this will help identify the best answer.

Answered Fluid around DPX2 shaft

Airz

Aug 16, 2018
Farnborough
Anyone else getting this on their Fox DPX2 shock? Seems to be holding pressure at 280psi but I get the fluid build up around the sag o-ring after each ride. It only seems to have started doing this the last couple of rides however I did need to add pressure to take it from 250 to 280 so wonder if that has highlighted a weak seal.

I already have a sleeve service kit for it that I bought last year so wonder if this is just a sleeve service needed or whether it needs a full strip down as I have done 400 miles on it now.

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
I have just done over 400 miles on my bike with its Rockshox DeLuxe R Debonair (230 psi). The shock is still seeping oil on every ride. The LBS said it's normal to lose oil and that it will settle down. I can't help feeling that it will only "settle down" when it runs out of oil! No other complaints about this shock.

I had this problem before with a Fox Float RP2 shock (175 psi) in 2009 . I reported it and was told the same. Eventually, yes it "settled down" but then it started making squelching noises on rough terrain (air in the oil I think, not sure). But by then it was due a service. After the service it never leaked again. I can't help thinking that there was a faulty seal in there somewhere right from the start.

The above shocks are the only two shocks that I have ever had this "leaking but will settle down" issue. I think there is something wrong with it, but I am not by any means an expert on this. I will be keeping an eye on my current shock, and I recommend that so should you.

Airz

Aug 16, 2018
Farnborough
In my case it's been fine for the first 360 miles and then just started doing it in the last 40 so I think it's time for new seals. If it's still doing it after that I'll send it away to TF tuned to do a full service.
I guess that's the issue with ebikes as we do double the miles so things wear out twice as quickly.

Airz

Aug 16, 2018
Farnborough
Right well I've done an air sleeve service and it looks like what I was seeing was fox float fluid from the air sleeve which is good. I'll let you all know what happens once I've been on a decent length ride over the weekend.

Airz

Aug 16, 2018
Farnborough
Just got back from a 30 mile ride running the shock at 280psi and this is what the shaft looks like now. I would definitely say that if anyone else sees fluid around the shock then its time to replace the air sleeve seals.

Last edited:

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles