Flats or clipless?

Nugs

May 27, 2021
Devon
Flats mainly, as i would rather 'dab a foot' than stack it...... especially as my exuberance tends to overtake my ability. :LOL:

aarfeldt

E*POWAH Master
Subscriber
May 25, 2019
Denmark, Danstrup
Clipless.....but I have been for +20 years, so flats are a no-go.
I did actually try flats for some time, but it just feels unconnected and unnaturel, so I gave up, since there was only negative sides...

mark.ai

E*POWAH Master
Patreon
Jul 10, 2018
Windermere
Clipless - it just feels more natural to me now, and I actually prefer always having my feet in the same location.

RustyIron

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Jun 5, 2021
La Habra, California
Are you riding with flats or clipless

Hey, '76. I've ridden clipless from Day 1... a long, long time ago.
It made sense at the time, and I became pretty good at it.

But there are also exceptional riders who ride flats. Why? What did they know that I didn't? I had to find out, and a couple months ago I broke open the piggy bank and bought some nice shoes and pedals for one of the bikes. My first ride out, my feet were coming off the pedals like a circus clown, and the red liquid was dripping down my calves. I was awful. I took the flats off after one ride.

But then I was even more agitated. I had spent a lot of money and failed. Not only the top riders, but even the bumblies could do something I couldn't. It became my mission to learn to ride flats. After a couple rides, I learned to "feel" the weight on my feet. In not much time at all, I was back to riding riding the rugged stuff that most riders won't even consider. With the flats, I'm still not as comfortable bunny hopping or jumping, but it's getting better.

Overall, it's been a lot of fun learning a new skill. I like the flats better, and I think the reasons are legit, rather than just a case of "new bike part stoke." The simplicity of the flats is really nice. On the super steep and rugged stuff, I've found that I like my feet forward, so the pedals are more under the arch. This isn't possible with clipless. It's good to have the skills to ride both, and right now I have bikes set up both ways. Soon, though, I think I'll be riding flats exclusively.

LAN76

Nov 29, 2021
Denmark
Hey, '76. I've ridden clipless from Day 1... a long, long time ago.
It made sense at the time, and I became pretty good at it.

But there are also exceptional riders who ride flats. Why? What did they know that I didn't? I had to find out, and a couple months ago I broke open the piggy bank and bought some nice shoes and pedals for one of the bikes. My first ride out, my feet were coming off the pedals like a circus clown, and the red liquid was dripping down my calves. I was awful. I took the flats off after one ride.

But then I was even more agitated. I had spent a lot of money and failed. Not only the top riders, but even the bumblies could do something I couldn't. It became my mission to learn to ride flats. After a couple rides, I learned to "feel" the weight on my feet. In not much time at all, I was back to riding riding the rugged stuff that most riders won't even consider. With the flats, I'm still not as comfortable bunny hopping or jumping, but it's getting better.

Overall, it's been a lot of fun learning a new skill. I like the flats better, and I think the reasons are legit, rather than just a case of "new bike part stoke." The simplicity of the flats is really nice. On the super steep and rugged stuff, I've found that I like my feet forward, so the pedals are more under the arch. This isn't possible with clipless. It's good to have the skills to ride both, and right now I have bikes set up both ways. Soon, though, I think I'll be riding flats exclusively.
Thank you for your detailed post🙂Much appreciated👍

ebsocalmtb

Sep 29, 2021
Southern-Cal
I generally ride SPD (clipless) pedals on my muscle bikes and have for the better part of 15 years doing so. However, I have always switched to flats for a few rides/months each year to keep myself honest in not cheating. You can/will develop some bad habits riding clip-in (clipless as a term should die imo) pedals where you're not properly and fully pre-loading the bike/suspension to manipulate it. Flats help riders control the bike and ride with it since the option of cheating isn't there.

As as trained mtb coach... I prefer and request that each of my students spend some time on flats. Also, as a general rule, I will not teach some one jumping or bunny hop skills on clip-in pedals. It's just faster/easier to get them to utilize proper mechanics if we remove the ability to mask bad technique.

I digress... Even though I still ride 95-99% of the time on SPD pedals on both my trail and enduro muscle bikes... I ride flats on my rise. The biggest drawback for me on flat pedals is keeping my feet on the pedals on super high speed, janky technical sections. That is something in particular that my local riding has a ton of. I don't find that to be as much of an issue on the rise as the extra weight of the frame/drive unit, causes the suspension to come into play sooner on these faster/high speed impacts, which settle the bike some what.

If you haven't tried flats... ebikes are a great place to learn them and improve your technique overall. Since pulling up with your feet does so much less with the emtb then a standard muscle bike, there just isn't the same incentive to hold onto the same bad habits.

Give it a shot. I can guarentee you that riding flats for a time period, as a predominantly clip-in rider, will improve your riding/abilities quickly. It can be frustrating and at times, a little sketchy... but it's worth it. Besides, it's a great way to make boring trails that you know like the back of your hand, new and fun again.

LAN76

Nov 29, 2021
Denmark
I generally ride SPD (clipless) pedals on my muscle bikes and have for the better part of 15 years doing so. However, I have always switched to flats for a few rides/months each year to keep myself honest in not cheating. You can/will develop some bad habits riding clip-in (clipless as a term should die imo) pedals where you're not properly and fully pre-loading the bike/suspension to manipulate it. Flats help riders control the bike and ride with it since the option of cheating isn't there.

As as trained mtb coach... I prefer and request that each of my students spend some time on flats. Also, as a general rule, I will not teach some one jumping or bunny hop skills on clip-in pedals. It's just faster/easier to get them to utilize proper mechanics if we remove the ability to mask bad technique.

I digress... Even though I still ride 95-99% of the time on SPD pedals on both my trail and enduro muscle bikes... I ride flats on my rise. The biggest drawback for me on flat pedals is keeping my feet on the pedals on super high speed, janky technical sections. That is something in particular that my local riding has a ton of. I don't find that to be as much of an issue on the rise as the extra weight of the frame/drive unit, causes the suspension to come into play sooner on these faster/high speed impacts, which settle the bike some what.

If you haven't tried flats... ebikes are a great place to learn them and improve your technique overall. Since pulling up with your feet does so much less with the emtb then a standard muscle bike, there just isn't the same incentive to hold onto the same bad habits.

Give it a shot. I can guarentee you that riding flats for a time period, as a predominantly clip-in rider, will improve your riding/abilities quickly. It can be frustrating and at times, a little sketchy... but it's worth it. Besides, it's a great way to make boring trails that you know like the back of your hand, new and fun again.
Thank you🙂🙏

jka

Dec 17, 2020
Nevada, USA
I agree with wanting to retire the term "clipless pedals", but to respect the history of biking, I guess we'll keep it. It made sense in the early days, but not now.
I ride flats on my Rise, mostly just because I wanted to try them and see if I could get used to them. I have clipless on four other analog bikes that I ride (two Santa Cruz, a Yeti and a Kona). I've been riding clipless for 25+ years now. I do struggle with the lack of control and "oneness" with the bike while riding flats. I need to get better at it, but it's not nearly as bad as I thought it would be. Plenty of bloody claves and shins though. On the plus side, way easier to step off the pedal.

MartinD.

Apr 4, 2021
Halifax, UK
I ride half 'n half (one side clipless, t'other flat) I think it's the best of both worlds. Clipped in for stuff I know and more control, flat side for 'orrible stuff and one-side clipped-in when it's a bit iffy so I can use the up-stroke and still dab without stalling out and falling down.

But, I've ridden clipless (road and mtb) since the mid-nineties and before that full pull-straps and clips since 198x so I'm kinda used to it.

Mikerb

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 16, 2019
Weymouth
Interesting to read some fresh perspectives on this topic where usually people just justify whichever option they have always used. I ride flats but did try clipless to test the difference...........probably the other way around to most folk!!
I can see the attraction of clipless but for me there are too many downsides.........and I just did not see any particular advantage. Maybe that specific to an EMTB?
I like to place my foot on the pedals in different forward to back positions depending on the scenario..........not possible with clipless.
I have no problems slipping off the pedals on gravity runs/techy terrain.
I like to be wearing shoes I can walk in without it looking like I have :poop: my pants :LOL:

I admit to start having some problems when I got a bit more serious about jumping and my shins bear the scars! I started to wear lightweight footbal shin pads which dealt with the potential for pedal strikes at the time.............but I no longer have the problem of feet leaving the pedals. ( nothing like the potential for pain to force technique improvement!!..........especially when the potential shin strike hits exactly the same place/scab everytime!!)

jcismo1

Jul 22, 2021
Colorado
Clipless for me! Just feel more like I’m one with the bike. I also use these, SHIMANO SH56 Multi Directional Release SPD Cleat.

Calsun

May 17, 2021
Monterey CA
I switched to flat pedals but had problems with their width. Upgraded to the Stamp 7 Large pedals and much happier. The rougher the terraint the more I appreciate flat pedals and my Five Ten shoes.

Mteam

E*POWAH Elite
Aug 3, 2020
gone
Flats for me. But all the best riders I've ever met have been on clips.

Tried clips a few years ago, gave them a real good go, tried them for 6 months, but I had so many massive crashes in that time that I wouldn't have had if I was on flats I swapped back to flats.

I think clips are great if you are super confident in your abilities and always commit to every gnarly feature in the trail, or you only ride fairly tame stuff.

LAN76

Nov 29, 2021
Denmark
Had my very first ride on my new M20 today - went for clipless and can’t imagine switching to flats👍

Rod B.

Aug 18, 2021
USA, Orange County Ca.
My buddy took me for my first ride when I got into mountain biking. My new bike had flat pedals. My buddy who rides clipless, suggested I do the same. He took me down a trail which he hadn't ridden in a few years. He discovered the city had placed a concrete drainage ditch across the bottom of the trail. I watched him hit the ditch, flip the bike up into the air, come down, and break his collar bone and arm. On a positive note, he did not come unclipped....

After watching that goat roping session, there wasn't a chance in hell you'd get me to ride clipless. I've ridden flat pedals ever since. I like that the back of my calves often look like I got mauled by a mountain lion, it makes for a good story.

jcismo1

Jul 22, 2021
Colorado
He discovered the city had placed a concrete drainage ditch across the bottom of the trail. I watched him hit the ditch, flip the bike up into the air, come down, and break his collar bone and arm. On a positive note, he did not come unclipped....
He should have done a “bunny hop” over it….

DanMcDan

Mar 18, 2021
Torquay
I ride both, I have mallets on my DH/Enduro and trail bike, and Vaults on my 4x and Jump bike, and the wife won’t let me put clips on “her” Rise 😂

Tribanas

Jul 13, 2021
Portugal
Flats here, because they are faster

IMG_20211205_175049.jpg

msruby64

Mar 25, 2020
US
I have also been using the SH56 for years👍A lot of riders aren’t aware of the SH56.

Another fan of the SH56 multi-release cleats. The wife of a friend of mine was learning to ride with Shimano SPDs and was a bit battered not being able to release reliably. I convinced her to try the SH56 cleats. The next time I saw her, she was super happy she had made the change.

LAN76

Nov 29, 2021
Denmark
I chose to go for/keep clipless/click pedals on my Rise M20. Until now I've used my XTR's from my S-Works EPIC but I wonder what type of clipless SPD pedal you would choose - and with or without platform Shimano PD-M8120?

Gismo6303

Sep 4, 2021
France
Hi here, I've always ride clipless (since 15years) I've switch to flat this summer on my full fat before sell it and buy a Rise.
I have test flat before but never like it. This time I've made this choice for upgrade my skills and ride rougher and more technical trails where i need to put feet down fast. I try to learn manual and bunny hop, and i dont regret going to flat since i used to. I can ride my bike the same way, just need some pull-rotate cranck for some crossing in uphill rock garden, its my only regret going flat

Ogofmole

Oct 30, 2021
Wales, UK
I have been using toe clips and straps since about 1974 on my road and mountain bikes, I did try SPD's about 20 years ago, but never got on with them so returned back to toe clips and straps. Since buying my eMTB last month, I thought I would go with flat pedals and now find them great.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles