Flat pedals recomendtions please!!

Unicycle_DG

Sep 26, 2020
Kentucky
How about the new DMR v11's?

Heard about DMR V11 pedals on the SingleTrack podcast. Concave and Moto pins impressed. Anyone successful getting them shipped to the USA for less than $25 shipping? That increases the price of this composite pedal to near Alloy prices. Back to the drawing board.

Last edited:

Jeffsy29

May 6, 2020
Rockville MD
I've had RF Atlas and Crank Bros Stamp. My preference by far is the CrankBros Stamp. I love the small or large option and they have the same build quality up and down the lineup, the composite pedals are a great value. I use those on my street bike and Alu versions on the eMTB.

High Rock Ruti

May 13, 2019
Massachusetts
I can't see why e-bikes would chew up pedals more than regular bikes?

High Rock Ruti

Because I keep hitting them of course...!

I think it's two reasons, 1st lower bottom brakets and no pedal no power, short crank arms testify to the regularity of strikes.

And 2nd the number one reason is; I ride like shit. When I'm not crashing, I'm smashing.

Two days ago I went OTB when the front wheel suddenly stopped in deep snow, but the landing was Pillowy soft thanks to, the very same snow that sent me flying, but no pedal strike!

Warm Regards Ruti

Pivot

E*POWAH Master
Jun 11, 2020
New Forest, England
I have experimented with a few... the best to date are RockBros 2018-12A

IMG_7183.jpg

Oversized pedals at 13.5x12x2cm, these give me phenomenal grip, however, I do have more pedal strikes when riding through narrow tracks.

MrSimmo

E*POWAH Elite
Apr 24, 2020
The Trail.
@carlbiker Mate did you find the difference between the v1 and v2 vaults? (sorry if you posted this before) i’ve got v2’s but no idea what the differences are to the v1 vaults

carlbiker

🛡️🚵🛡️
Sep 15, 2020
leeds england
@carlbiker Mate did you find the difference between the v1 and v2 vaults? (sorry if you posted this before) i’ve got v2’s but no idea what the differences are to the v1 vaults

you just reminded me I have another set of DMRs somewhere......I don’t think there will be much of anything in them, what I have noticed is things go south when pins aren’t replaced! I just looked other day and I had about 3-5 missing on either pedal yikes!

I am tempted to swap them out for my other ones with smaller pins though which will suit my GR9 boots better as the DMR pins are pretty stubby compared to the race face Chester ones I have also, DMR stuff I suspect works great with five tens, there doing the job still like

And btw I’m loving my shimano GR9, it should be mandatory to have a tightener instead of laces, it adjusts the width of your foot, mine are like a platapus so I’ve had to send back loads of shoes to get one that fits. I’ve a pair of impact mid five tens £130 still in the cupboardas mine are so comfy, waterproof and dry in no time

MrSimmo

E*POWAH Elite
Apr 24, 2020
The Trail.
you just reminded me I have another set of DMRs somewhere......I don’t think there will be much of anything in them, what I have noticed is things go south when pins aren’t replaced! I just looked other day and I had about 3-5 missing on either pedal yikes!

I am tempted to swap them out for my other ones with smaller pins though which will suit my GR9 boots better as the DMR pins are pretty stubby compared to the race face Chester ones I have also, DMR stuff I suspect works great with five tens, there doing the job still like

Cool cheers, agree! Swapped my Hopes for DMRs to hopefully improve grip with the Five Tens. Got some moto pins as well which are closer to the pins on my old Race Face Atlas’s. ?

Last edited:

urastus

⚡The Whippet⚡
May 4, 2020
Tasmania

And btw I’m loving my shimano GR9, it should be mandatory to have a tightener instead of laces, it adjusts the width of your foot, mine are like a platapus so I’ve had to send back loads of shoes to get one that fits. I’ve a pair of impact mid five tens £130 still in the cupboardas mine are so comfy, waterproof and dry in no time
I check pins for wiggle pre ride. If I find a loose one, I use a scrubbing brush around it before removing, apply thread locker and return. Haven't lost any :)

I have the V12 pedals and really like them - 2400kms on them now. I bought the aluminium ones - less problematic than nylon or magnesium.

Last edited:

carlbiker

🛡️🚵🛡️
Sep 15, 2020
leeds england
I find trying to move foot position almost impossible whilst riding on the 510s + DMRs. I subsequently bought some Stamp 2s which have shorter pins.
I think that’s just practice getting your brain to land your feet right first time, I just reset and try again if it’s off but I do on occasion end up looking down which isn’t ideal but then if you could move the shoe around it would lose that benefit of being as grippy

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
it's two entirely different technique preferences Carl. Neither is wrong.

Keeping your feet in position on your pedals isn't just about maximising sole to platform grip.
Your entire body position and core strength play a big part in keeping your feet in place and this only becomes more important the less pedal platform to shoe sole grip you choose to run. But once you have that ability switching foot position around your pedal is far easier allowing you to micro adjust it your entire ride. Which is something you just can't do on 5:10s.
Also. No matter how much you practice you won't be able to place your foot in the perfect position every time.

Personally I hate 5:10 soles and super grippy pedals and intentionally choose not to use either BUT this doesn't mean my feet loose the pedals. I've followed many 5:10 riders on far grippier pedals who have struggled keeping their feet on when I'm simply not having an issue at all.

Bottom line is you don't actually need maximum grip on flat pedals to ride them well (or fast).

carlbiker

🛡️🚵🛡️
Sep 15, 2020
leeds england

Keeping your feet in position on your pedals isn't just about maximising sole to platform grip.
Your entire body position and core strength play a big part in keeping your feet in place and this only becomes more important the less pedal platform to shoe sole grip you choose to run. But once you have that ability switching foot position around your pedal is far easier allowing you to micro adjust it your entire ride. Which is something you just can't do on 5:10s.
Also. No matter how much you practice you won't be able to place your foot in the perfect position every time.

Personally I hate 5:10 soles and super grippy pedals and intentionally choose not to use either BUT this doesn't mean my feet loose the pedals. I've followed many 5:10 riders on far grippier pedals who have struggled keeping their feet on when I'm simply not having an issue at all.

Bottom line is you don't actually need maximum grip on flat pedals to ride them well (or fast).

Yeah I must admit as I’ve been riding more, technique is likely to be the more important thing over the products, like recently I’ve only just adopted a v position on landing or shuffled my feet further down to emulate clipped in position since a coach advised me (his theory was clipped in positions are this way for good reasons) so that i could have more mobility and bend properly to create this V shape, nothing to do with pins etc and I do wonder how it would be without the fancy foot ware or pedals, probably horrible but be interesting to try and see if I could improve technique enough to not require fancy stuff

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
......................Personally I hate 5:10 soles and super grippy pedals and intentionally choose not to use either BUT this doesn't mean my feet loose the pedals. I've followed many 5:10 riders on far grippier pedals who have struggled keeping their feet on when I'm simply not having an issue at all...........

That grip is why I no longer use 510's. Instead I use Shimano AM42s. Shimano no longer make them now, by several models I believe, but I have a new pair ready for when my current totally manky pair finally wear out :) .

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
What coach was that Carl?
recently I’ve only just adopted a v position on landing or shuffled my feet further down to emulate clipped in position since a coach advised me (his theory was clipped in positions are this way for good reasons) so that i could have more mobility and bend properly to create this V shape, nothing to do with pins etc and I do wonder how it would be without the fancy foot ware or pedals, probably horrible but be interesting to try and see if I could improve technique enough to not require fancy stuff
I've actually no idea what you mean by adopting a "V" position.
But if your coach honestly advised you to try and emulate the footing position of a clipped in rider (ie. ball of the foot over the pedal axle) when riding flat pedals I'd find a new coach.
Many DH racers actually move their cleats as far back in their shoes as they can to put their foot closer to a flat pedal position for added stability and less fatigue on rough descents.
The only time I prefer the ball of my foot over the pedal axle on flats is when manualling as it gives my heel more room to play with when holding the balance point (But that's mainly because I manual brakeless)

Singletrackmind

Sep 17, 2020
San Diego, CA

Very well said! Been amazed at the various pedals and shoes fellow riders have tried/recommend. Tried several different flat pedals over the years (rode clipless for a couple years but my riding style lends itself better to flats). Now that I have converted 100% to emtbs, prefer certain show/pedal combinations. Your comment about not needing maximum grip to ride well is spot on! I like to have the ability to change my foot position on flats when riding my trail/All-Mountain emtb. For this bike (Yeti 160e) I use Deity TMAC's. They are a little thicker and prone to pedal strikes but my bb height and suspension set-up help conter this issue. The TMAC's have the right amount of grip and pedal platform size works great for my size 11us (45) shoe. For my Enduro/DH sled (YT DECOY Elite with coil shock) I prefer the grippier DMR Vault. Slightly thinner pedal profile and with certain shoes, keeps my feet planted perfectly for knarly descents. My riding buddies have lots of different brands/models and they work for them. Pedals like the other touch points (saddle/grip) is a personal preference. To me, there is no right or wrong. To each their own! Tried one-up, Hope, Atlas Racefce, Shimano XTR, DMR Vault Brendog, Spank and Crank Bros. All were great pedals.

High Rock Ruti

May 13, 2019
Massachusetts
High Rock Ruti

I recently put these table sized pedals on the bike, guess what, no more pedal strikes. I think I can compensate once I learn the size by feel, you know?.... enough pedal strikes! They have 18 pins, is that enough? No surprise they grip great. The large platform is really supportive and it's so big that landing your foot in the perfect position becomes academic. The claim is that exerting force across a larger platform is easier on the feet, makes sense, I'll let you know in time. Honestly I destroy pedals on the ebike, bet I'm not alone, so these $150 USD are a "flyer" I've been buying $24 plastic pedals on Amazon and replacing them when they're beat up couple times a year.

Warm Regards Ruti

20211119_101730.jpg

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles