Flat pedals recomendtions please!!

Rosemount

E*POWAH Elite
May 23, 2020
Qld Australia
The differences in my exp are ; GR7 have stiffer sole and allow more direct feel on the pedals .
GR5 are a lighter softer upper . GR7 has an elastic keeper for your shoe laces . GR5 does not . GR5 are longer wearing because the waffle pattern sits on the pins . GR7 has small raised textures . The textures wear away and leave a groove in the sole .

I retired my GR7s a few months back because the groove was getting annoying . Making placing my feet became more finicky with the grooves .Bought GR5 because there were no GR7 at the LBS . Since I bought the Saint pedals which have a different pin pattern I am back wearing the GR7 . They are my preference .

carlbiker

🛡️🚵🛡️
Sep 15, 2020
leeds england
The differences in my exp are ; GR7 have stiffer sole and allow more direct feel on the pedals .
GR5 are a lighter softer upper . GR7 has an elastic keeper for your shoe laces . GR5 does not . GR5 are longer wearing because the waffle pattern sits on the pins . GR7 has small raised textures . The textures wear away and leave a groove in the sole .

I retired my GR7s a few months back because the groove was getting annoying . Making placing my feet became more finicky with the grooves .Bought GR5 because there were no GR7 at the LBS . Since I bought the Saint pedals which have a different pin pattern I am back wearing the GR7 . They are my preference .
Thats really interesting, like one of the chaps said earlier about pin damage caused but instead swap the profile around and extend the longevity of the shoe, genius!

Not sure how you feel about this but there are also places you could resole your shoes with five tens for like £45 if the shoe is still decent but the soles are knackered

Crawford919

Aug 7, 2019
USA
Pedaling Innovations make the best I’ve tried. They are big, thin, very sticky and do all the things they claim. I have tried dozens of flat pedals and these are my favorites. These particular ones pictured are 2 years old and have never needed service.

DFDE2FAF-57BF-4C09-A314-88100AB06969.jpeg

FDFCB328-9895-406E-AB4B-EC856C3C69FD.jpeg

Mteam

E*POWAH Elite
Aug 3, 2020
gone
Carl, you really do need to stop obsessing over kit and start riding, just buy any of the pedals recommended here (except those crank bros 5050, theyre terrible imo) and see what you think, they will almost certainly be fine for you to get some experience with, then when you've used them for a year you'll have developed a feel for what you might want in your next set of pedals.

I prefer a flat or concave pedal that is as thin (thickness does matter in terms of ground strikes) as possible, with long narrow pins

For the last few years I've settled on race face atlas, but I quite like the look of the oneup aluminium pedals.

carlbiker

🛡️🚵🛡️
Sep 15, 2020
leeds england
Carl, you really do need to stop obsessing over kit and start riding, just buy any of the pedals recommended here (except those crank bros 5050, theyre terrible imo) and see what you think, they will almost certainly be fine for you to get some experience with, then when you've used them for a year you'll have developed a feel for what you might want in your next set of pedals.

I prefer a flat or concave pedal that is as thin (thickness does matter in terms of ground strikes) as possible, with long narrow pins

For the last few years I've settled on race face atlas, but I quite like the look of the oneup aluminium pedals.

Mate I bought 2 pedals already? After getting bored yesterday I bought the V2 for £100 from the local shop and that’s that...mind was £20 more than CRC who have on offer! I will say this though, to me £100 is fekin obscene for pedals so damned right I’ll make sure I get the right one!

I’ve not been able to ‘go ride’ as I’d lost an axle, thankfully new ones arrived today!

I dare say I’m ready for action!! ?

Mteam

E*POWAH Elite
Aug 3, 2020
gone

Mteam

E*POWAH Elite
Aug 3, 2020
gone
Mate I bought 2 pedals already? After getting bored yesterday I bought the V2 for £100 from the local shop and that’s that...mind was £20 more than CRC who have on offer! I will say this though, to me £100 is fekin obscene for pedals so damned right I’ll make sure I get the right one!

I’ve not been able to ‘go ride’ as I’d lost an axle, thankfully new ones arrived today!

I dare say I’m ready for action!! ?
It's not just this thread about pedals, you've started what seems like a million threads about what kit to buy, most people when they first started mountain biking just went out in whatever shorts, t-shirt and trainers they had spare in the cupboard.

Strangely for all the obsessing over kit I don't remember seeing a similar thread obsessing over probably the most important bit of kit in mountain biking, the actual bike.

Good that your axle has turned up, Get out there (in an old pair of shorts, an old hoody and some worn out running shoes) and let us know how it goes.

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
I will say this though, to me £100 is fekin obscene for pedals so damned right I’ll make sure I get the right one!
You're not going to want to hear this but equally good pedals to the Vaults (in fact pedals I prefer to the vaults) are available for under £40 rrp without any discount.

carlbiker

🛡️🚵🛡️
Sep 15, 2020
leeds england
It's not just this thread about pedals, you've started what seems like a million threads about what kit to buy, most people when they first started mountain biking just went out in whatever shorts, t-shirt and trainers they had spare in the cupboard.

Strangely for all the obsessing over kit I don't remember seeing a similar thread obsessing over probably the most important bit of kit in mountain biking, the actual bike.

Good that your axle has turned up, Get out there (in an old pair of shorts, an old hoody and some worn out running shoes) and let us know how it goes.

Obsessing for you is just simple research for me and although some of you guys (not aiming at you I haven’t checked but you seem clued up! :) )with like 10k posts might know it all but a lot like me don’t and there’s lots to cover as I’ve proven! Rather than just leech info I’ll ask, gather and spit it back out to help out, a good thing normally!

Despite the bs certain folk (which I have to say I’m disappointed to see) are banding about some new members have joined this forum advising the videos I made have really helped them out, I only did those as a gesture for Zimmerframe tbh, kind of giving back for the hard work he put in on his reviews to in return help him and anyone else. I’m normally the guy paying youtubers obscene amounts to produce content but hey, teamwork (I hoped). Apparantly my Scott review is the best out there!.....even if it’s the only one ?! if anyone wants to be a dickhead about it then be a dickhead ?, the Earth still spins....I don’t waste energy on negative folk after a point.

I did go out in normal clothes but the daily ?at the bike park activated some brain cells funnily enough, I don’t need to break limbs to learn kit is handy. If you think otherwise then that’s your view, ill respect that but perhaps do the same....

Back ‘on topic’ :

4C449CE8-DB56-4C68-8CFC-F66DFB2DDF6A.jpeg

21E96498-A330-4A8F-A110-650428D637B9.jpeg

Last edited:

carlbiker

🛡️🚵🛡️
Sep 15, 2020
leeds england
You're not going to want to hear this but equally good pedals to the Vaults (in fact pedals I prefer to the vaults) are available for under £40 rrp without any discount.

Well maybe you can let the OP know? I had a little go on crappy trainers, it did feel alright, obviously I need to get the shoes going, tomorrow will be fun, I don’t care if a monsoon comes I’m out for the day!

EdibleStarch

Sep 6, 2020
Fife
What Gary said.....HT composites for £35. Loads of grip and ive spent years riding Burgtecs, Vaults etc etc

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
Burgtec composites. = Pretty much the best composite pedal out there
Nukeproof/HTcomposites = really decent.
HT nanos = awesome but not the grippiest (which isn't a bad thing for a beginner or an expert but playful rider)

Your shoes really don't need to be anything special. You just need to actually ride your bike.
But I know you'll subjectively ignore any advice that doesn't involve spending wads of cash Carl
It's your money and we love you for not GAF how you spend it.

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
XTs have a horrible platform profile and shape. Basically the edges don't allow your foot to roll on the platform well or with consistency.
Enjoy the rest of your night free from my negativity ?

p3eps

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Subscriber
Dec 14, 2019
Scotland
I’m currently riding HT ME03T pedals.
Nice pin position, super light (if you’re a weight weenie), good grip - and stupidly expensive if you’re chucking heaps of money away on new stuff ??

Mteam

E*POWAH Elite
Aug 3, 2020
gone
Obsessing for you is just simple research for me and although some of you guys (not aiming at you I haven’t checked but you seem clued up! :) )with like 10k posts might know it all but a lot like me don’t and there’s lots to cover as I’ve proven! Rather than just leech info I’ll ask, gather and spit it back out to help out, a good thing normally!

Despite the bs certain folk (which I have to say I’m disappointed to see) are banding about some new members have joined this forum advising the videos I made have really helped them out, I only did those as a gesture for Zimmerframe tbh, kind of giving back for the hard work he put in on his reviews to in return help him and anyone else. I’m normally the guy paying youtubers obscene amounts to produce content but hey, teamwork (I hoped). Apparantly my Scott review is the best out there!.....even if it’s the only one ?! if anyone wants to be a dickhead about it then be a dickhead ?, the Earth still spins....I don’t waste energy on negative folk after a point.

I did go out in normal clothes but the daily ?at the bike park activated some brain cells funnily enough, I don’t need to break limbs to learn kit is handy. If you think otherwise then that’s your view, ill respect that but perhaps do the same....

Back ‘on topic’ :

View attachment 43342
View attachment 43343

You clearly have good taste in your choice of bike ?, even down to the colour - I approve!
IMG_20200813_113024.jpg

Last edited:

downhilllister

Dec 26, 2019
nelson new zealand
XTs have a horrible platform profile and shape. Basically the edges don't allow your foot to roll on the platform well or with consistency.
Enjoy the rest of your night free from my negativity ?
Like i said, work fine without silly expense. Never slipped off them yet. and like the chunky look and fell. It gives me the fell of solid support under foot, each to there own on this one.:)

slippery pete

Oct 29, 2019
Scotland
Contrary view.

I've got two pairs of Vaults that I try to avoid using. The bushes squeak. The service kit does not fix them. Particularly dislike the 6mm hex to tighten/remove them. I had one snapped 6mm tool come close to slashing my wrists for me.

By contrast I've had the old generic Nukeproof or Superstar branded flatties for years of abuse on multiple bikes. The ones I had were aluminium bodied and it doesn't look like you can get the exact model any more.

The OE Commencal pedals on my ebike lasted one ride before a rock strike bent the spindle on one side (at Comrie croft for those that know it, and I was moving fast). The DMR V12 replacements bent the cranks when I had a tree stump strike on them. In retrospect the Commencal approach may be the better one.

I'd chance the nukeproof horizons as first choice.

Mikerb

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 16, 2019
Weymouth
I use 5-10 Freerides and have for years used DMR v12. Its not something ( shoe or pedal) that has ever given me cause to even think about a change. I bought another bike that has Nukeproof Horizon pedals fitted. The only real difference I noted was that I did not automatically place my foot in the right place on the pedal with the Nukeproofs just because they have a bigger overall platform than the V 12. No reason to change them though...its just a small adjustment I have to keep in mind when riding that bike. Both grip really well. I would rather spend £100 on a new set of tyres than seek marginal gains with new pedals!!

fenwick458

Oct 6, 2020
Cumbria
i've had V12 magnesium's since 2017, they have been on 2 different bikes now and done a total of 5000km. stripped down & re greased each winter, treated them to a new set of pins last year as they had worn down, they are still good for many years to come

downhilllister

Dec 26, 2019
nelson new zealand
Contrary view.

I've got two pairs of Vaults that I try to avoid using. The bushes squeak. The service kit does not fix them. Particularly dislike the 6mm hex to tighten/remove them. I had one snapped 6mm tool come close to slashing my wrists for me.

By contrast I've had the old generic Nukeproof or Superstar branded flatties for years of abuse on multiple bikes. The ones I had were aluminium bodied and it doesn't look like you can get the exact model any more.

The OE Commencal pedals on my ebike lasted one ride before a rock strike bent the spindle on one side (at Comrie croft for those that know it, and I was moving fast). The DMR V12 replacements bent the cranks when I had a tree stump strike on them. In retrospect the Commencal approach may be the better one.

I'd chance the nukeproof horizons as first choice.
Yeh.Its like the stock Focus ones are plastic,Never used them.In the bin at the bike shop they went.
You clearly have good taste in your choice of bike ?, even down to the colour - I approve! View attachment 43374
Sexy bike.:)

carlbiker

🛡️🚵🛡️
Sep 15, 2020
leeds england
You clearly have good taste in your choice of bike ?, even down to the colour - I approve! View attachment 43374

That is looooolovely!!!!! I’d swap in a heartbeat, really nice colours! Why Orbrea instead of Cube out of interest or maybe the Levo?

I have to put up with the bright orange grips for now as they were to match my orange pedals I ended up not using! V2 only do black or silver....

In other news, the pedal/trailcross shoes seem to work well, can’t say I’m like BLOWN away but will do the job, I didn’t have any slippage.

I tried a drop however and I still managed to do my obligatory suicide stance but then I think I’d manage it even with clips in!! ?

Last edited:

Mteam

E*POWAH Elite
Aug 3, 2020
gone
That is looooolovely!!!!! I’d swap in a heartbeat, really nice colours! Why Orbrea instead of Cube out of interest or maybe the Levo?

Levo - Didnt want a levo because of the unreliability of the motor and the relative lack of value of the overall bike for the spec/money.

Cube - Just didnt like the way they looked

Whyte - too heavy - also not sure about looks

Trek rail - could have been tempted by one of these , but ultimately it couldnt match the deal I ended up with on the orbea, and wasnt going to be available when I wanted one.

Yt decoy - probably the best value ebike out there , but didnt want the old shimano motor, plus had a few concerns about the YT proprietry battery - I also have a capra which is ace, but I was concerned about tech issues with the decoy.

Orbea - Good spec, decent deal, available at the time I wanted , decent reviews - have also got an orbea rallon from 2014 which was/is a good bike.would have preferred the orange colour, but wasnt available at the time I bought

Pyr0

E*POWAH Master
Sep 22, 2019
Wirral, UK
How about the new DMR v11's?

Has anyone tried Tag T3 pedals?

Last edited:

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles