Flat pedals recomendtions please!!

B1rdie

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Subscriber
Feb 14, 2019
Brazil
Just had to use a 1,5 meter lever to remove the chromags from the cranks after teo years of careless abuse and they still roll smooth as silk.

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
how does one protect ankles from snapping but maintain mobility hmmmm

IDK... ?
Maybe just stay indoors and over analise everything. You could make tons of pointless data tables theoretically comparing kit and components you've never even seen in the flesh and post your findings to the world via the internet? If the temptation to go outside and ride gets too great you could maybe even order some kit online to make video reviews about your thoughts on. Maybe even include some little experiments that bare absolutely no relation to actual riding. Be careful to send them back unused. It's pretty dangerous out there afterall.

:sneaky:

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
very tempted but could you kindly check my video below and let me know if the pins are as stubby as the vault 12 ones? Cheers
I have taken a couple of pics of my Vaults, but the pins look bigger diameter than those on the Chester Race Face. I suspect that they are the same pins as on the DMR V12 you show, as why would DMR use different ones?

I like the pins on the DMR Vault. They are stronger than the thin ones on the Chester and less likely to bend when the underside of the pedal hits anything. I agree that thin ones will dig into the shoe sole better, but just how much grip do you really need? My FiveTens had so much grip on the Vaults (even with one pin removed) that once I had planted my foot on the pedal I could not move it. Sounds good? But if I failed to get my foot in exactly the right place I couldn't shuffle it into the right place, not even a little bit! I had to lift my foot off and have another go; not easy when the bike and I are bouncing down a rough trail. It wasn't until I replaced the FiveTens with some Shimano shoes that I found the right mix of grip and the ability to shuffle a bit. In addition to being more easily damaged, thin pins slice into flesh so much better too!

In the pic below, you can clearly see that the Vault comes with different length pins. Extra pins come in the box, and you can also buy extra pins and have the ones on your pedals all long, all short, or any mix in between to suit your needs. You can see that none have bent. The pedals used to be glossy black, but over time (years) the tough black finish has been polished off by my shoes. By the way, the pins get rounded with use and you can restore them with a file or (much better) a small grindstone. Just flatten the tops, no need to sharpen to a point!

DMR Vault old 1.jpg

In the pic below, you can see how short pins in the middle are used to provide a concave grip. The centre rib on the pedal is also gently concave, the middle being 1mm lower than the outer edges of the pedal body.

DMR Vault old 2.jpg

I love my Vaults! :love:

carlbiker

🛡️🚵🛡️
Sep 15, 2020
leeds england
I have taken a couple of pics of my Vaults, but the pins look bigger diameter than those on the Chester Race Face. I suspect that they are the same pins as on the DMR V12 you show, as why would DMR use different ones?

I like the pins on the DMR Vault. They are stronger than the thin ones on the Chester and less likely to bend when the underside of the pedal hits anything. I agree that thin ones will dig into the shoe sole better, but just how much grip do you really need? My FiveTens had so much grip on the Vaults (even with one pin removed) that once I had planted my foot on the pedal I could not move it. Sounds good? But if I failed to get my foot in exactly the right place I couldn't shuffle it into the right place, not even a little bit! I had to lift my foot off and have another go; not easy when the bike and I are bouncing down a rough trail. It wasn't until I replaced the FiveTens with some Shimano shoes that I found the right mix of grip and the ability to shuffle a bit. In addition to being more easily damaged, thin pins slice into flesh so much better too!

In the pic below, you can clearly see that the Vault comes with different length pins. Extra pins come in the box, and you can also buy extra pins and have the ones on your pedals all long, all short, or any mix in between to suit your needs. You can see that none have bent. The pedals used to be glossy black, but over time (years) the tough black finish has been polished off by my shoes. By the way, the pins get rounded with use and you can restore them with a file or (much better) a small grindstone. Just flatten the tops, no need to sharpen to a point!

View attachment 43229

In the pic below, you can see how short pins in the middle are used to provide a concave grip. The centre rib on the pedal is also gently concave, the middle being 1mm lower than the outer edges of the pedal body.

View attachment 43230

I love my Vaults! :love:

thats great thanks! I’m painstaking here because so far my favourite shoe is the GR9, my impact five ten and vaude Moab have just arrived but there’s something very plush about the GR9 but like I showed in the video only the Chester pins dig in easily.....now you say your on Shimano so the million dollar question is which one? It might be with body weight the DMR pins sink into the recess and maybe end up being more grippy, you’re comment about being able to move is something I’m also looking at, I’m not after the clip less thing but good grip is good enough :)

wonder how dmr vault is different to dmr v2....

Atm I’m looking at the DMR vault and the HT ANS08

Last edited:

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
wonder how dmr vault is different to dmr v2....
Very.
V12s are a pretty poor shape and feel
Vaults are decent.
Bearings axles and construction are fine on both.

Disclaimer: The above information was only pertained through actually riding both pedals. No indoor shoe hanging experimentation was implemented.

Last edited:

carlbiker

🛡️🚵🛡️
Sep 15, 2020
leeds england
Very.
V12s are a pretty poor shape and feel
Vaults are decent.
Bearings axles and construction are fine on both.
’’’Building on the established design of it top-selling V8 and V12 models, DMR’s V2 Vault flat MTB pedals are ideal for everything from smashing down descents and climbing steep trail sections. With their tough CrMo (Chromoly) axles and extruded 6061 aluminium platforms, they are both durable and low in weight. ’’’

clear as mud their version naming!

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
Vault V2 = version 2 Vault

V8 and V12 was a homage to engines back in the 90s when DMR began.
V8 loose bearings. V12 sealed bearings. Both pedals have had a revamp since.

DMR is an amalgamation of the initials of the founders names.

#Knowyourmtbhistory

carlbiker

🛡️🚵🛡️
Sep 15, 2020
leeds england
It's really not that difficult Carl.

Now ride your bike.

your kidding right?

DMR vault came out in 2010 and is still ‘the pedal’, then there are other versions that are cheaper shittier but called v12, v8 which makes zero branding sense at all, inferior but much higher versions then to top it off they build on those higher number versions and release version 2.....oh wait it’s version 3 of the cheaper versions and the vault is V1 but it isn’t, it’s a different pedal, or not, or it is....go ride....I will when I have some pedals ?

ps I’m stuck here shopping as I lost an axle, should have bought a Cube! Hopefully new one comes today

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
So not only do you claim to be able to build a far better app than both Strava and Trailforks. You know more about marketing pedals than a company that has successfully sold thousands and thousands of pedals over a period of 3 decades.

You couldn't make "Carlbiker" up. Or maybe you could ?

carlbiker

🛡️🚵🛡️
Sep 15, 2020
leeds england
Mate. It's you who has the reading comprehension issue here.
I'm not being rude but are you fairly high on the autistic spectrum by any chance?
Genuinely concerned.

Do you even realise when I asked a simple question about the differences between Vault and V2 you rambled on about the V12? Just curious since your talking comprehension and all.....thanks for the history lessons (y). I'm still none the wiser

DMR Vault V2 Pedals | Chain Reaction Cycles - V2 follows on from V12/8 clearly says but hey....

HT ANS08 has been ordered for now :)

Don't worry about the multiple attacks there (its only the internet right) its not all toxic

Oh and as for Strava (as I see this is eating you up) they will be just fine, Trailforks has stopped me from taking them over phew!

Get out on the bike Gary! (please!)

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
o you even realise when I asked a simple question about the differences between Vault and V2 you rambled on about the V12? J
No mate. I kindly explained the reason behind the names DMRs gave each pedal, But you still seem too obsessed with your own vision of how they should have named them to even take in and comprehend the meaning of the phrase "Building on an established design" in a blurb you've copied n pasted from somewhere.

it really isn't difficult to understand at all.

go back and read post #38

The "V" in the Vault V2 stands for "version"
The "V" in V8 and V12 does not stand for "version"

Oh... and the description of the Vaults you are obsessing over was written by a CRC employee. not DMR

Get out on the bike Gary! (please!)
I've been out on the bike at least twice every day this week bro.

Watching the world cup DH from Lousa just now but will be out again in an hour or so.
All of my bikes have pedals fitted funnily enough. Bit of a waste of time and money having bikes otherwise.
Don't worry about the multiple attacks there (its only the internet right) its not all toxic
I'm not attacking you mate. Please don't take it as such. I genuinely think you have issues. Hence enquiring about ASD

Last edited:

carlbiker

🛡️🚵🛡️
Sep 15, 2020
leeds england
No mate. I kindly explained the reason behind the names DMRs gave each pedal, But you still seem too obsessed with your own vision of how they should have named them to even take in and comprehend the meaning of the phrase "Building on an established design" in a blurb you've copied n pasted from somewhere.

it really isn't difficult to understand at all.

go back and read post #38

The "V" in the Vault V2 stands for "version"
The "V" in V8 and V12 does not stand for "version"

Oh... and the description of the Vaults you are obsessing over was written by a CRC employee. not DMR

I've been out on the bike at least twice every day this week bro.

Watching the world cup DH from Lousa just now but will be out again in an hour or so.
All of my bikes have pedals fitted funnily enough. Bit of a waste of time and money having bikes otherwise.

I'm not attacking you mate. Please don't take it as such. I genuinely think you have issues. Hence enquiring about ASD

Well originally you wrote over my reply so I’d posted before reading yours but hey....you never actually answered V1 vs V2, sorry if my question wasn’t clear enough for you ?.

So your argument is I’m special needs by thinking the model names are confusing yet you just highlighted CRC wrote that bumf and not DMR; so since CRC are getting it wrong are they special needs too or? Sorry I’m easily confused ???

Luckily I called the bike shop who answered the query and off I went to grab VERSION 2 pedals ?

C05B6D0E-D486-4B98-8B45-6F5015470F4A.jpeg

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
I didn't "write over" anything
I didn't mention special needs at all.
I asked you if you were ASD. Which you still haven't answered.

there is no argument. Just one bloke talking utter crap about a bunch of pedals* he's never tried.

Does the bike shop know you'll be returning the Brendogs if your shoes don't hang sufficiently from them over your dining room table? :p

*Pedals can probably be substituted for pretty much any mtb accessory/component/article of clothing

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
.....now you say your on Shimano so the million dollar question is which one? It might be with body weight the DMR pins sink into the recess and maybe end up being more grippy, you’re comment about being able to move is something I’m also looking at, I’m not after the clip less thing but good grip is good enough :)................
Shimano AM42, but as far as I know all the Shimano shoe soles are made from the same material.

Whatever shoe/pedal combo you buy the grip will start to change as you use them The pins will lose their edge, and the soles will start to rough up, develop pits where the pins have been going, and the sole pattern will wear out. If you were writing an article for a magazine, fair enough I suppose, but you appear to be putting too much effort into making a simple decision.
By the way, multiple on-line purchases and then returning them all is not cool.

deksawyer

E*POWAH Master
Subscriber
Jan 11, 2020
Fife, Scotland
^^ Steve is correct - too much thinking on your part. Buy a pair of pedals and shoes you like the look of and then just ride your bike.

I use spd shoes with hard plastic cleat covers and the grip from my Stamp 2s is great....ie you have to lift your feet to reposition them. So don't worry about getting max grip, as sometimes you don't want it.

I'm a bit of a gear geek like you and love the research before buying stuff for my various hobbies, but you and some others on here, imo, take it too far, seemingly posting every thought.

I'm not saying don't do it, as it can be entertaining all the same.

?

carlbiker

🛡️🚵🛡️
Sep 15, 2020
leeds england
I didn't "write over" anything
I didn't mention special needs at all.
I asked you if you were ASD. Which you still haven't answered.

there is no argument. Just one bloke talking utter crap about a bunch of pedals* he's never tried.

Does the bike shop know you'll be returning the Brendogs if your shoes don't hang sufficiently from them over your dining room table? :p

*Pedals can probably be substituted for pretty much any mtb accessory/component/article of clothing

Listen Jose, I'm not having an internet argument just because you failed in answering a basic question and then went on a tangent., next time just read what someones actually asked, it helps, conveniently your brushing past this fact, I've said nothing about peddles other than asking queries and some jibber about pins, get a grip (pardon the pun :D)....its the last I'm saying on the matter, please DM me instead of us spoiling this thread.

As for my ASD ? wtf are you actually talking about you lunatic?? Is it the weather in scotland putting some ice chill into that brain of yours or you just having a bad day?? Strewth

Fill your boots with mocking me regarding pin tests that might not be relevant (in your world) but I've had a good few comments from others experiences who do say pin sizing is important, in fact comment #13 has a video of someone who discovered something similar! Suppose thats crap too....

If its a rise your trying to get, you wont from me sir, and also your negative bouts wont curb my enthusiasm for this amazing sport, I will research, try to help others and bumble my way through the best I can! :D

PS that spreadsheet wasn't mine...if you thought I made that lol, that would be special even for me. (just in case!)

carlbiker

🛡️🚵🛡️
Sep 15, 2020
leeds england
Shimano AM42, but as far as I know all the Shimano shoe soles are made from the same material.

Whatever shoe/pedal combo you buy the grip will start to change as you use them The pins will lose their edge, and the soles will start to rough up, develop pits where the pins have been going, and the sole pattern will wear out. If you were writing an article for a magazine, fair enough I suppose, but you appear to be putting too much effort into making a simple decision.

Cheers, appreciate the comment, everyones elses experiences will speed up the learnings...although you do realise after I failed to get an answer on v1 vs v2, I called the shop, went out and bought some pedals hence the photo earlier :).

Multi purchases, ah yes, I'm keeping like 3, if not 4 pairs of shoes, I'll be testing them and then deciding as you can sell them on for little lost on the price, the ones that don't fit obviously will be returned :)

carlbiker

🛡️🚵🛡️
Sep 15, 2020
leeds england
^^ Steve is correct - too much thinking on your part. Buy a pair of pedals and shoes you like the look of and then just ride your bike.

I use spd shoes with hard plastic cleat covers and the grip from my Stamp 2s is great....ie you have to lift your feet to reposition them. So don't worry about getting max grip, as sometimes you don't want it.

I'm a bit of a gear geek like you and love the research before buying stuff for my various hobbies, but you and some others on here, imo, take it too far, seemingly posting every thought.

I'm not saying don't do it, as it can be entertaining all the same.

?

Ironically, I found a few vids last night, a leaderboard table, tried to post a question here on what pedal got put onto DMR....went about bought one, thanks nevertheless, I'm sure it will be great, next is shorts! :)

nasamorpheus

Jul 17, 2020
Ljubljana
Guys thx for all the help, I see many of you prefer dmr vault but I think vault are too fat, I believe I need thin pedals coz I constantly hit everything on the floor :)

carlbiker

🛡️🚵🛡️
Sep 15, 2020
leeds england
Guys thx for all the help, I see many of you prefer dmr vault but I think vault are too fat, I believe I need thin pedals coz I constantly hit everything on the floor :)

By looks of things there are trade offs with that, I'm similar and started to think about smaller pedals as it doesn't inspire confidence when the pedal gets whacked but probably more a rider experience thing really, I imagine it just becomes second nature to know when not to lower the pedals at the wrong time!

Check here Vital MTB Face Off: The Best Flat Pedals these are the guys that produce the useful data charts, so far its by far the best report I've seen online about pedals and they have a fairly upto date video thats a good watch if you go check it out. Here is a similar leaderboard but with thicknesses of the pedals included. Pin diameter would have been interesting to see....

badf7b367bb658227afbd6f9d43a21ef.png

I'll just add I didn't do this, I'm somewhat complimented if anyone does think I'd go to this level and yet bewildered :D. I

When you read their research they were suggesting that the thinner the pedal the thinner the axle which will be more prone to snapping amongst other caveats.....realistically, I don't think your pedal choice should be influenced by thickness as say if you picked the Gamut 10mm, okay its 7mm different but 7mm isn't going to save hitting the floor I very much doubt.

An interesting post was by our own high prestige mod on this site who very kindly posted an in depth recommendation on which pedal, sounds like hes owned every pedal going! Hes also a fan of the thinner pin type pedal, might be worth a read The ultra mtb shoe? - EMTB Forums its the HT ANS08 pedal, I've ordered this to mix/match different pedals/shoes, different combos which will yield different results but only trial and error will tell in the end.

Interestingly here Best mountain bike pedals | 18 of our favourites tried and tested his top 2 pedals are the HT and also the Vault v2 but the Brendog one which I bought today, this one seems a more advanced version of what seems to already be a great pedal so can't wait to see what happens, I suspect when I do my next 360 my feet will be glued to the pedals! still (cue a postive gary comment: Oh you'll need to stop sticking pedals into pins all day long and actually ride a bike...lols)

The other thing is make sure it fits your shoe size, looks like different sizes fit...different size obv. I think over size 10 your safe with 105mm+, again the ever so useful chart above will show the sizes too. Please double check I'm right here though as that's top of my head....

Here's another excellent resource 12 of the Best 2020 Flat Pedals Ridden & Rated - Pinkbike which specifically mentions the Vaults and the thicker stubby type pins they have being less grippy but I mean how much do we need end of the day? I liked what @R120 said about being able to locate the shoe well and not have to strike an exact position which is why I bought that one too, I suspect this will be better than the Vault one as I intend to use Shimano GR9's amongst other shoes for different situations.

I've seen alot of reviews online now about shoes too, in fact I probably currently own more pairs than anyone on this forum! (sadly....its false due to same model types and trying to get the right Cinderella shoe!) but I think most of them don't have the right pin setup that's all, a couple videos hated certain shoes and then after getting the right pins, the shoe became better than a five ten! I'm going off topic but so far the most impressive shoes have been the GR9 and the Vaude in terms of a shoe, waterproofing , other features, but ultimately I'll know when I get hitting dem trails!

Last edited:

deksawyer

E*POWAH Master
Subscriber
Jan 11, 2020
Fife, Scotland
Wow. I didn't read most of that.... ?

I chose Crank Bros. Stamp 2 pedals as they were the thinnest pedals I could find at my price point. They grip like hell and after almost 2 Scottish winters with zero love, they're still going strong, spinning freely.

You and others might choose something different, but that's what works for me. I've never felt unsafe or out of control. It's all I've had for the last 2 years and I've used them with no limits.

Rosemount

E*POWAH Elite
May 23, 2020
Qld Australia

GR5 has different sole to GR7 .
GR7 has Michelin rubber and Michelin icon on the sole . GR5 no icon .

GR7 has a rough textured sole . GR5 has waffle pattern .

carlbiker

🛡️🚵🛡️
Sep 15, 2020
leeds england
Wow. I didn't read most of that.... ?

I chose Crank Bros. Stamp 2 pedals as they were the thinnest pedals I could find at my price point. They grip like hell and after almost 2 Scottish winters with zero love, they're still going strong, spinning freely.

You and others might choose something different, but that's what works for me. I've never felt unsafe or out of control. It's all I've had for the last 2 years and I've used them with no limits.

4mm shorted than the Vaults, I'm kind of dumbfounded that would factor into a pedal choice as that price point could get you most pedals available...but if its working great then its obviously a good choice and that kind of durability can't be questioned! I do remember some good things about that particular pedal, can't recall exactly....I think there all much of a muchness, maybe only an unlucky mix of shoe/pin/pedal profile results in a bad mix end of the day....still had I realised I'd be spending £100 on a single pedal Id have never taken up emtb!!! FFS...its abit like, oh you have the bike now, DEAL WITH THE CONSEQUENCES (LOL)! ?

carlbiker

🛡️🚵🛡️
Sep 15, 2020
leeds england
GR5 has different sole to GR7 .
GR7 has Michelin rubber and Michelin icon on the sole . GR5 no icon .

GR7 has a rough textured sole . GR5 has waffle pattern .
GR9 also has the same profile as the GR7....these will outlast five tens according to a few reports

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles