• How to use this section. To the thread starter: Once you are satisfied with the answer that youve been given, click the Trophy on the left hand side of the message. This will rate this answer as the 'Best Answer' and will change the question status from 'Unanswerd' to 'Answered'. All members can also upvote an answer with the 'Up' arrow, this will help identify the best answer.

Answered Flat pedal pins

S D

Mar 26, 2019
Shelley
My flat pedals disintegrated last weekend so I got myself a new pair , first time out on them today and I’m messing around in the woods , right foot leaves the pedal , crank spins , new pedal (pins) make a proper mess of my shin.
So what’s the deal with the pins , they were stuck out quite some way so I thought I would wind them in a little and make them shorter.
This way I thought they won’t reach the bone ?, but in doing so I noticed this makes them loose, am I missing something?

flash

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Patreon
Nov 24, 2018
Wamberal, NSW Australia
Well I'm back to clips for exactly that reason. Too many holes in my shins. And it's like being hit repeatedly with a hammer.

For a while I wore those cheap shin guards football (soccer) players wear. You can get them with velcro straps. Cost about AUD15 for a pair. Solved the pain problem completely.

Gordon

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
Quite a lot of people take out the central pin in the front edge of the pedal to avoid this.

I personally like my pins to be fully extended. What are the pedals?

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
In that case they should have come with a little bag of plastic spacers, like these;
1556608135003.png

Donnie797

Jul 2, 2018
Germany, southern Black Forest
In the beginning when learning to jump and didn't know the proper technique that happend to me as well. After the third "impact" and already permanently marked shins i got me some shin-guards (the cheap soccer type) and i still wear them when i go crazy - but it never happened again so far. The FiveTen shoes are very much recommended, never had a pedal slip when riding trails.

S D

Mar 26, 2019
Shelley
They are the Neutron pedals , I don’t remember seeing any spacers in the box .
I do have five ten shoes , I was practicing my jump technique at the time so maybe I need more practice or possibly longer socks :ROFLMAO:

cjm_wales

Mar 19, 2019
Cardiff
I also run those cheapo nukeproof pedals & they didn't come with any extra fittings.

Having read some horror stories about splintered shinbones from flat pedals in big accidents, I've invested in some leatt 3DF integrated knee / shin guards.

To date I've managed to avoid any serious injuries, but it's not uncommon to come home from a ride with the the backs of my ankles riddled with cuts and grazes where I've come off them & the spikes have dug in. I still have scabs there now from several weeks back (I suffer from dermatitis on my lower legs anyway).

Reactions: S D

S D

Mar 26, 2019
Shelley
I also run those cheapo nukeproof pedals & they didn't come with any extra fittings.

Having read some horror stories about splintered shinbones from flat pedals in big accidents, I've invested in some leatt 3DF integrated knee / shin guards.

To date I've managed to avoid any serious injuries, but it's not uncommon to come home from a ride with the the backs of my ankles riddled with cuts and grazes where I've come off them & the spikes have dug in. I still have scabs there now from several weeks back (I suffer from dermatitis on my lower legs anyway).
Ive used them for years and almost gotten used to my calves being scratched, the shin strikes seem to be much more painful :( Im putting it down to being new to riding e-bikes and new pins Ouch!.

Cooldaddygroove

Jul 11, 2018
Vancouver, BC
I wear G-Form's shin guards every ride, even if it is an easy ride where I am not wearing knees and elbows. You can find them on sale for a lot less than the $40 USD listed on their site.

You can't even tell you are wearing them and they stay put.

G-Form

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles