• Warning!!

Riding a tuned or deristricted EMTB is not a trivial offence and can have serious legal consequences. Also, many manufacturers can detect the use of a tuning device or deristricting method and may decline a repair under warranty if it was modified from the intended original specification. Deristricting EMTB's can also add increased loads for motors and batteries. Riding above the local law limit may reclassify the bike as a low-powered bike, requiring insurance, registration and a number plate.

Be aware of your local country laws. Many laws prohibit use of modified EMTB's. It is your responsibility to check local laws. Ignoring it, has potential implications to trail access, and risk of prosecution in the event of an accident.

UK Pedelec Law

Worldwide Laws

We advise members great caution. EMTB Forums accepts no liability for any content or advice given here. 

Flashing US firmware in Europe?

magnil

Sep 25, 2018
Sweden
Have we found out yet how the E8000 restricts to Europe / USA speed limits? Firmware or any hardware? Any way to make change from Europe to USA?

Dan31

Mar 16, 2019
Madrid
This post seems really interesting and should be refloated...
Actual laws and speed limits are "questionable".
I don't need to reach 50kmh with my ebike, specially because it would run out of juice in less than half hour....
But the US limitation to 32 kmh sounds just right. That's all I want... Without getting false speed/distance reads....
For being able to flash US firmware as posted above it's clear we will need:

* Vpn to get a USA IP (very easy to do, I use windscribe in my android phone for having best rental cars fares, and better flying prices too)

* Fake GPS loc to make the system thing we are located in US.

I will try all the above when we get our bike, please post any finds or thoughts

localone

Jun 17, 2019
Bilbao
does this software completely derestrict your bike or can you set a max speed?
This post seems really interesting and should be refloated...
Actual laws and speed limits are "questionable".
I don't need to reach 50kmh with my ebike, specially because it would run out of juice in less than half hour....
But the US limitation to 32 kmh sounds just right. That's all I want... Without getting false speed/distance reads....
For being able to flash US firmware as posted above it's clear we will need:

* Vpn to get a USA IP (very easy to do, I use windscribe in my android phone for having best rental cars fares, and better flying prices too)

* Fake GPS loc to make the system thing we are located in US.

I will try all the above when we get our bike, please post any finds or thoughts
Hi, did you try?

Thanks.

Sherman

May 9, 2018
3rd Rock
I guess VPN, fake GPS or IP addresses won't get you anywhere. Why would manufacturers go thru such a hassle and unreliable way to determine location when they can just program it in the motor/controller.

Rpa484

Feb 4, 2019
Poland
Hi.
Anybody of You guys try to buy just a unit controller/display (sc-e7000 i.e.) from USA.
Is it enough to just swap it and by happy with 20mph limit? Is it work with european battery and motor? Just thinking about "non destructive" way of pass thru 25km limit.

njn

Founding Member
Mar 14, 2018
USA
Displays are passive. You don't even need one to run.

Buddy's bike was slower than mine, brought it to the dealer, found out wrong wheel size from factory, shimano had to connect remotely to correct. shimano does not allow dealers to fix issues related to firmware.

Wkouba

Nov 20, 2018
Boise, Idaho USA
Displays are passive. You don't even need one to run.

Buddy's bike was slower than mine, brought it to the dealer, found out wrong wheel size from factory, shimano had to connect remotely to correct. shimano does not allow dealers to fix issues related to firmware.
So that brings up an interesting question. My Pivot Shuttle is 27.5 and 29” wheel capable. So do I need to visit the dealer for Shimano to remote in to adjust my wheel size?! Crazy! I guess I need to buy this software / pc device. I also have a Turbo Levo (will be selling soon once I have my new pivot all sorted out) and all that I used on the specialized levo was an app called Blevo! Works great! We need a similar app for STEPS e7000/e8000!

Last edited:

die

Jan 10, 2023
rovereto, italia
Does it work with turbo levo 2022? Due to the too much restrictive europea 25kmh I 'd like to go to 20Mph that are like you said 32kmh

Frankyspec

Dec 3, 2022
Belgium
I’ve been in contact with e-plus tuning and you can choose for 35km/h or even to 60km/h…I have a rise M team on the way and thinking to go for the option 35km/h…

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles