Fitting Hope brakes on my e-Sommet

Riksbar

May 18, 2019
Burnley
Had anyone swapped the rear brake on their e-Sommet? I have a set of Hope tech V4s and whilst the front brake is a straight forward swap the rear looks like it needs the hoses removing at a minimum.

Has anyone else done this and am I better off dropping the motor out as well? How easy is it to feed the new hose through the frame? My plan is to detach the hose for the Guide at the calliper, detach the hose for the Hope at the lever and fasten the new hose to the old one then pull it through that way. Any obvious flaws to this plan?

Thanks in advance

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
Yes you will need to drop the motor, and in order to do this and access all the bolts on the drive side its likely you will need to remove the chainring or spider too. Its not too much off a faff, and gives you chance to tidy up the other cabling too.

Riksbar

May 18, 2019
Burnley
Wow, that was a mission. I dropped the motor but feeding the hose through was a pain. For future reference disconnect the caliper and feed it from above. I made a small plastic tool to go into the hose exit hole on the chain stay to guide the hose up to connect it. Just waiting for a bleed kit to arrive to finish the set up. Quite surprised at the gravel and twigs in under the plastic guard on the non drive side of the motor. Took the opportunity to foam the top of the motor and the hell-hole with the cables. Also put some water repellent spray I had for car upholstery onto the foam to help keep the muck off.

Riksbar

May 18, 2019
Burnley
The small piece of plastic cut from a yoghurt pot, then put through the chainstay hose exit hole to guide the hose out.

I will be selling these for only £49.99 plus postage.:D:D:D???
B0231E3F-1D39-4009-A5B6-265DEF885A0B.jpeg

KarlosBoro

Oct 5, 2020
Middlesbrough
Yes you will need to drop the motor, and in order to do this and access all the bolts on the drive side its likely you will need to remove the chainring or spider too. Its not too much off a faff, and gives you chance to tidy up the other cabling too.
How do you drop the motor, im having this problem with feeding braided hoses

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
The motor is held in place by 6x t40 Torx bolts. (in reality you only need to remove 4 and can leave two in and the motor hanging from them)
if you remove your chainring from the spider and losen the chainguide bolts you should be able to move it out the way to reach that one bolt behind the spider without the need to remove your cranks or spider. It's fiddly but negates the need for the shimano STEPS lockring tool

KarlosBoro

Oct 5, 2020
Middlesbrough
The motor is held in place by 6x t40 Torx bolts. (in reality you only need to remove 4 and can leave two in and the motor hanging from them)
if you remove your chainring from the spider and losen the chainguide bolts you should be able to move it out the way to reach that one bolt behind the spider without the need to remove your cranks or spider. It's fiddly but negates the need for the shimano STEPS lockring tool
I'm guessing I can leave the 2 bolts in that are next to where the bash guard comes back

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
a picture is sometimes worth a thousand words..
img_3696-jpg.15051

Yes. remove the plastic skid plate first
I'd remove the connector bay casing (3x cross head screws) and unplug the connectors too but you don't have to

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles