Fitted a Badass Box 4 today de-restrictor

shawry

Aug 13, 2019
Catterick Camp
No...I think you are missing the point. It has nothing to do with how fast you are going. After all you can go much faster than the power assisted limit. You could injure someone at 10 mph and provided you were riding responsibly it would be treated as an accident. If the injury was serious your bike would be inspected for defects. If during that examination you bike was found to be illegally modified you would be in trouble....and if the media got hold of the story..well you can guess the rest. You may say this is a long shot. Tell that to the cyclist in London who knocked down a pedestrian. He was riding a fixed wheel bike fitted with one brake.....not a legal bicycle. They threw the book at him. At least in that case other cyclists were not affected other than being rather more on the radar for the police to guard against similar incidents.

I’m not missing the point....ifs, buts, and maybe’s....
While I understand your point of view, I don’t agree with it, make it 20 mph and I would be happy, but 15.5 mph is just to slow, you might be happy with that, but I’m not so de-restriction is my choice
As you say I would be in trouble...not you....so let’s agree to differ
Thats the point though isnt it? Its only your choice if you only ride on private land, otherwise its illegal unless you have the bike registered, insured and you are wearing a motorcycle helmet. (In the uk, not sure of other countries)

Edit, i get that its your choice to break the law, but your argument is only that you disagree with the law so you are going to break it.

Mikerb

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 16, 2019
Weymouth
Thats the point though isnt it? Its only your choice if you only ride on private land, otherwise its illegal unless you have the bike registered, insured and you are wearing a motorcycle helmet. (In the uk, not sure of other countries)

Edit, i get that its your choice to break the law, but your argument is only that you disagree with the law so you are going to break it.
My final word...because it is falling on deaf ears. @Mad Mark you are making a choice that potentially affects everyone that rides an Emtb or is any way part of the Emtb industry, so no, it is not something that only affects you if somethings happens and your bike is inspected and/or if further regulation is thought necessary because authorities are made aware the existing regulations are being flouted.

ccrdave

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 16, 2018
uk
of course, the other way to look at it is if the authorities realise that a large number of people are derestricting and it's not causing any problems they may relax the limit a little

Swissrider

Nov 1, 2018
Switzerland
I think Shifty hit the nail on the head - its not necessarily about going faster, it's cutting out the horrible cut off at 25k. Just to increase it to 30k (as in US) would be enough for most people. Here in Switzerland we have a choice. We can buy ebikes which have cut off at 45K - perfectly legal BUT, they have to have a number plate, a helmet has to be worn and the rider has to have insurance. These are popular for town commuting but you don't see many of them. One reason is that they are classified as motorised vehicles and so in theory cannot be ridden off-road on tracks where one can ride a 25k restricted ebike, which is considered as a bike. My point is that bikes going faster than 25k is not in itself a problem - it's not much different than a scooter or small motorbike or any bike going downhill. It's just a pity that the 30k cut off is not universal.

HORSPWR

E*POWAH Master
May 23, 2019
Alice Springs, Australia
No...I think you are missing the point. It has nothing to do with how fast you are going. After all you can go much faster than the power assisted limit. You could injure someone at 10 mph and provided you were riding responsibly it would be treated as an accident. If the injury was serious your bike would be inspected for defects. If during that examination you bike was found to be illegally modified you would be in trouble....and if the media got hold of the story..well you can guess the rest. You may say this is a long shot. Tell that to the cyclist in London who knocked down a pedestrian. He was riding a fixed wheel bike fitted with one brake.....not a legal bicycle. They threw the book at him. At least in that case other cyclists were not affected other than being rather more on the radar for the police to guard against similar incidents.

No, it would still have to be proven that you were operating the bike outside of the restricted limit when the accident occurred, even if the accident happened at 10 mph. The fact it is modified is NOT an indication of negligence or full culpability in an accident!

Mike__

Jun 16, 2019
Australia
149 euros is expensive when a magnet on your pedal and flipping the sensor over does the same thing (I've heard.)

I did this and found 2 downsides

(1) you’ll now introduce lag. Stop pedalling whilst moving. The software thinks you’re stationary, then begin pedalling again. Try it and you’ll see you won’t get that instant strong boost to climb an obstacle

(2) each way I mounted and attached things had a flaw when doing hard mntn biking - rocks / jumps. Was fine for commuting and light off road

Shifty

E*POWAH Elite
Aug 29, 2019
Wiltshire
I did this and found 2 downsides

(1) you’ll now introduce lag. Stop pedalling whilst moving. The software thinks you’re stationary, then begin pedalling again. Try it and you’ll see you won’t get that instant strong boost to climb an obstacle

(2) each way I mounted and attached things had a flaw when doing hard mntn biking - rocks / jumps. Was fine for commuting and light off road

I can say with this model there is no lag introduced at all. It’s seemless. So I don’t know why that’s different on this new box?

Mike__

Jun 16, 2019
Australia
I might be wrong, but I think he means with regard to spinning the sensor round and sticking a magnet on your pedal.
Yes correct. I posted incase anyone is thinking of doing the hack. Leave As Is or get the ba box

Shifty - I also have the same ba box fitted to my 19’ e+1. The unit kicks in over 18kmhr and then half’s the output signal - This information was from the manufacturer themselves via email whom One of owns the same bike

Iskjone

Sep 21, 2019
Maine
Good advice based on solid evidence Mikerb. I was considering tuning my Explore E+ but have been convinced that basically it's a childish act. There are a diversity of opinions and that's mine.

Rich-EMTB-UK

E*POWAH Master
Aug 11, 2019
UK
15mph is a bit slow between sections of single track and on the road TBH 20mph would be better. I would say that over a distance of a couple of miles or more I would struggle to average 15mph on a mountain bike with nobbly tyres etc. So although low at times when you are feeling 20 years younger on your ebike overall its no slower than my full carbon weighs nothing bike.

Good review Shifty - I will save my pennies for now and buy some other expensive components :)

Iskjone

Sep 21, 2019
Maine
I agree that 15mph is a bit slow Rich-EMTB-UK and if I had that severe of a restriction on my eBike's speed .. I would be rethinking the issue.

Tony.OK

Mar 20, 2019
Napier, New Zealand
Yes correct. I posted incase anyone is thinking of doing the hack. Leave As Is or get the ba box

Shifty - I also have the same ba box fitted to my 19’ e+1. The unit kicks in over 18kmhr and then half’s the output signal - This information was from the manufacturer themselves via email whom One of owns the same bike
I've had to do the hack due to my sensor snapping off when I removed my wheel and forgot to deflate tyre.....bit of a slack design I think, have noticed no change at all in power delivery at all and strangley am now getting more distance from my battery since.....I've got the 32km limit and never found I needed more speed though....I do like the Levo design of sensor and magnet at the rear rotor....much more protected.

Cheekyink

Aug 2, 2019
Leeds
I have flipped my sensor round and fitted the magnet to the pedal and have found it awesome I ride 14 miles a day to work mostly on canal towpath and I can average 20mph, would highly recommend it to any Giant owner.

Silato

Nov 29, 2018
Manchester UK
Very surprising results. Completed a 30k trail road circuit. It wasn’t what I thought.
It took away that horrible 25kph drop off at on the straights. But as I naturally can’t pedal much faster it didn’t add much speed. Just made the ride more comfortable adding another 5mph to the straights.
Didn’t use any more battery, I was able to use 10th instead of 9th. So went faster on the flat for less cadence due to the gears. So I think the engine effort was similar but just went along faster.
made the whole ride more natural and much more enjoyable.
Didn’t suddenly turn me into Bradley Wiggens or turn bike into a motorbike or a uncontrollable widow maker. If I want to ride a widow maker I stick to my H2!
it also clips on and off with one hand so brilliant to put on and off.
What bike are you using it on. The UK 25kmph isn't great 20 mph would be better.

boneht

Sep 22, 2019
oxon
The more evidently ridiculous a law the more inclined people are to break it. 15.5mph cuts in at an entirely inappropriate time in the emtb experience. Raise it to 20mph and I doubt anyone would bother with derestriction because it really would have no adverse affects.
Instead of 90% of riders sticking to a sensible limit you have masses derestricting completely.
What a fail.

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
De restricting does not make the bike faster - the speed the bike can go is determined by the gearing of the bike. You can go no faster on a derestricted bike than you can on a stock bike.

De Restricting may enable you to maintain a higher average speed on gentle inclines, and it will enable you to accelerate faster from above the limit.

De restricting simply changes when the motor assistance cuts out.

Shifty

E*POWAH Elite
Aug 29, 2019
Wiltshire
Update
It had been an absolute pleasure with the Badass 4 for the last few rides. My natural quick speed on the flat. Eg is comfortable and not peddling like I’m demented is about 17 mph. So the horrible cut off I was riding against every ride has completely gone. The ride is smooth, natural and enjoyable. Never think about the limiter or the box. I can enjoy my ride and it has made no conceivable difference to the environment or other people. I can’t go up hill and faster and I can’t go down hills any faster. But I can go along the flat more naturally. WOW what an absolute load of boll0cks people talk of the dangers of derestricting. The same sort of boll0cks people spouted about the dangers of e-bikes full stop who haven’t ridden one. It is not a derestrictor it’s a speed limiter removal. Unlike doing that on a motor vehicle which would increase speeds up and down hill unlocking the mechanical horse power from the engine. My engine is 49 years old and their isn’t any more horsepower to unlock!

John208

Oct 1, 2019
Hampshire
Update
It had been an absolute pleasure with the Badass 4 for the last few rides. My natural quick speed on the flat. Eg is comfortable and not peddling like I’m demented is about 17 mph. So the horrible cut off I was riding against every ride has completely gone. The ride is smooth, natural and enjoyable. Never think about the limiter or the box. I can enjoy my ride and it has made no conceivable difference to the environment or other people. I can’t go up hill and faster and I can’t go down hills any faster. But I can go along the flat more naturally. WOW what an absolute load of boll0cks people talk of the dangers of derestricting. The same sort of boll0cks people spouted about the dangers of e-bikes full stop who haven’t ridden one. It is not a derestrictor it’s a speed limiter removal. Unlike doing that on a motor vehicle which would increase speeds up and down hill unlocking the mechanical horse power from the engine. My engine is 49 years old and their isn’t any more horsepower to unlock!

Cheekyink

Aug 2, 2019
Leeds
De restricting does not make the bike faster - the speed the bike can go is determined by the gearing of the bike. You can go no faster on a derestricted bike than you can on a stock bike.

De Restricting may enable you to maintain a higher average speed on gentle inclines, and it will enable you to accelerate faster from above the limit.

De restricting simply changes when the motor assistance cuts out.

I replaced the front chain ring with a 42 and can maintain a steady 25mph

MinusPrevious

Sep 5, 2019
So.Cal
I replaced the front chain ring with a 42 and can maintain a steady 25mph
@Cheekyink
Question Sir. Do you have an E-Trance as well? Can you send me your recipe for the 42 tooth chain ring?
Im running the stocker 36 & thought a 38 would be the largest one could fit?
Curious what youre using?

Cheers / Joe

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles