Fitted a Badass Box 4 today de-restrictor

Shifty

E*POWAH Elite
Aug 29, 2019
Wiltshire
Very surprising results. Completed a 30k trail road circuit. It wasn’t what I thought.
It took away that horrible 25kph drop off at on the straights. But as I naturally can’t pedal much faster it didn’t add much speed. Just made the ride more comfortable adding another 5mph to the straights.
Didn’t use any more battery, I was able to use 10th instead of 9th. So went faster on the flat for less cadence due to the gears. So I think the engine effort was similar but just went along faster.
made the whole ride more natural and much more enjoyable.
Didn’t suddenly turn me into Bradley Wiggens or turn bike into a motorbike or a uncontrollable widow maker. If I want to ride a widow maker I stick to my H2!
it also clips on and off with one hand so brilliant to put on and off.

MinusPrevious

Sep 5, 2019
So.Cal
I felt the same way after installing the Speedbox2. Not a huge game changer, but takes away that awful dead zone in the flats

Shifty

E*POWAH Elite
Aug 29, 2019
Wiltshire
I bet you don’t drive over the speed limit on the motorway do you mikerb?
Don’t bite!
There’s always a Road Knight on a forum!!! We get them on the motorbike forums. Still dress and impersonate a copper with a Polite Vest even though they left the force 20 years ago! Riding GS’s But the man does have a good point to make.
But I confess... I have gone over the speed limit in my car before. I also went over a mini round about without going around it once! I pulled up with my front wheels on double yellows once too! I may have even just sneaked through a traffic light about to change to red. I’m such a bad ROSPA motorbike instructor and Gold standard rider !!! ????

Mikerb

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 16, 2019
Weymouth
It h
Don’t bite!
There’s always a Road Knight on a forum!!! We get them on the motorbike forums. Still dress and impersonate a copper with a Polite Vest even though they left the force 20 years ago! Riding GS’s But the man does have a good point to make.
But I confess... I have gone over the speed limit in my car before. I also went over a mini round about without going around it once! I pulled up with my front wheels on double yellows once too! I may have even just sneaked through a traffic light about to change to red. I’m such a bad ROSPA motorbike instructor and Gold standard rider !!! ????
As nothing to do with being a road knight and evrrything to do with protecting a regulated class of ebike we all love and an increasing number of people depend on for a living.....manufacturers and bike shops.
The analogy of exceeding the speed limit etc in a car is completely irrelevant.
Most of us consider the max assisted speed to be too low but the increasing number of people openly bypassing that restriction risks further regulatory measures to enforce it. You only have to look at the additional regulations that apply to s-pedelecs to see one direction that could take. The result? A fantastic market/product ruined by a few.
The better way to get the max assisted speed amended is to lobby for change and a more powerful argument is to push the practicality of pedelecs as a fully funtional alternative form of zero emissions transport.

Pukmeister

Jul 18, 2019
Fareham
Each to their own with using these motor tuning gadgets. I don't want one personally although I doubt anyone will actually witness enough real world speed increase with a modded emtb to justify the authorities measuring it with a radar gun and prosecute etc. I'd wager you are pretty unlikely to upset anybody by using one if thats your bag.

Its hardly gonna break any road speed limits regardless of the regulations unless its downhill with a tailwind in a 20mph restricted urban zone, its no racing bike.

Mikerb

May 16, 2019
Weymouth
Some of you guys seem to have no idea of the battles that were fought to enable the pedelec class of bike. All regulations prior to this focused not only on regulating users....for example through licencing, road tax, vehicle testing and road traffic laws.....but also through full type approval procedures for manufacturers. The latter is a hugely costly set of processes and tests. In order to enable the pedelec class to be approved there had to be clear water between it as a class of vehicle and a motorbike and its max assisted speed had to be low enough to consider manufacturing type approval to be uneccessary. The result of eventual agreement meant for example our bikes do not need to be crash tested, braking systems do not need to tested for effectiveness and regularly re-tested, tyrrs do not have to meet minimum standards of tread etc , we do not have to have lights permanently fitted and operational, we do not have to have a horn and we do not have to have the motor power cut off when the brake is applied. In other words we are compleyely free of all of those requirements...as is the manufacturer........all we have to put up with is a max nominal motor power of 250w , a max assisted speed, and power delivery only when pedalling.

Mad Mark

E*POWAH Elite
Patreon
Nov 2, 2018
Burton on Trent
Some of you guys seem to have no idea of the battles that were fought to enable the pedelec class of bike. All regulations prior to this focused not only on regulating users....for example through licencing, road tax, vehicle testing and road traffic laws.....but also through full type approval procedures for manufacturers. The latter is a hugely costly set of processes and tests. In order to enable the pedelec class to be approved there had to be clear water between it as a class of vehicle and a motorbike and its max assisted speed had to be low enough to consider manufacturing type approval to be uneccessary. The result of eventual agreement meant for example our bikes do not need to be crash tested, braking systems do not need to tested for effectiveness and regularly re-tested, tyrrs do not have to meet minimum standards of tread etc , we do not have to have lights permanently fitted and operational, we do not have to have a horn and we do not have to have the motor power cut off when the brake is applied. In other words we are compleyely free of all of those requirements...as is the manufacturer........all we have to put up with is a max nominal motor power of 250w , a max assisted speed, and power delivery only when pedalling.
I see your point, but those of us who have de-restricted our bikes don’t ever go any faster the you would on a normal mountain bike.
We are not bombing about knocking people over, we are just using it to stop the drag from the motor when we are on the fire roads
If I go out and do the Cannock trails I bet I only go over the limiter 1% of the time ?

Mikerb

May 16, 2019
Weymouth
149 euros is expensive when a magnet on your pedal and flipping the sensor over does the same thing (I've heard.)
I see your point, but those of us who have de-restricted our bikes don’t ever go any faster the you would on a normal mountain bike.
We are not bombing about knocking people over, we are just using it to stop the drag from the motor when we are on the fire roads
If I go out and do the Cannock trails I bet I only go over the limiter 1% of the time ?
No...I think you are missing the point. It has nothing to do with how fast you are going. After all you can go much faster than the power assisted limit. You could injure someone at 10 mph and provided you were riding responsibly it would be treated as an accident. If the injury was serious your bike would be inspected for defects. If during that examination you bike was found to be illegally modified you would be in trouble....and if the media got hold of the story..well you can guess the rest. You may say this is a long shot. Tell that to the cyclist in London who knocked down a pedestrian. He was riding a fixed wheel bike fitted with one brake.....not a legal bicycle. They threw the book at him. At least in that case other cyclists were not affected other than being rather more on the radar for the police to guard against similar incidents.

Shifty

E*POWAH Elite
Aug 29, 2019
Wiltshire
It h

As nothing to do with being a road knight and evrrything to do with protecting a regulated class of ebike we all love and an increasing number of people depend on for a living.....manufacturers and bike shops.
The analogy of exceeding the speed limit etc in a car is completely irrelevant.
Most of us consider the max assisted speed to be too low but the increasing number of people openly bypassing that restriction risks further regulatory measures to enforce it. You only have to look at the additional regulations that apply to s-pedelecs to see one direction that could take. The result? A fantastic market/product ruined by a few.
The better way to get the max assisted speed amended is to lobby for change and a more powerful argument is to push the practicality of pedelecs as a fully funtional alternative form of zero emissions transport.
Mike I respect your points, I really do. But it will only a problem if derestriction causes harm. So you presuppose that’s doing it causes a nuisance. But as I have explained it doesn’t make any difference to nuisance at all.
So I think that people won’t even notice if 50% of the ebike population was this way.

MitchF

E*POWAH Elite
Jun 1, 2019
Mirokumk38
No...I think you are missing the point. It has nothing to do with how fast you are going. After all you can go much faster than the power assisted limit. You could injure someone at 10 mph and provided you were riding responsibly it would be treated as an accident. If the injury was serious your bike would be inspected for defects. If during that examination you bike was found to be illegally modified you would be in trouble....and if the media got hold of the story..well you can guess the rest. You may say this is a long shot. Tell that to the cyclist in London who knocked down a pedestrian. He was riding a fixed wheel bike fitted with one brake.....not a legal bicycle. They threw the book at him. At least in that case other cyclists were not affected other than being rather more on the radar for the police to guard against similar incidents.

E1C6E5FC-19BB-4E10-B86A-6DDA29F2C711.jpeg

Shifty

E*POWAH Elite
Aug 29, 2019
Wiltshire
i think it’s a free world for all of us to discuss. I’m not really worried about your implied threat. We don’t real my need censorship in the honest grown up debate, telling us what we can or can’t post in public. Probably not helpful.
I’m obviously thankful if it was down to you to get ebikes on UK roads as you suggested.
As my previous posts. Its not a panacea, makes very little difference to use but is a little helpful on a flat surface at most on an e-mtb.
Obviously having a 30k trail in my back garden on private land is a bonus ‘your honour’ ????

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
I'm thinking of buying a new Kenevo, that long rear swing arm makes it perfect for de-restricting and going really fast without flipping out from the 1000hp it produces.

Or I could just ride down a hill where gravity has more effect than me or my motor and go at 90kph.

Gravity should be restricted. It's dangerous. God forbid if I ever went fast uphill .

Shifty

E*POWAH Elite
Aug 29, 2019
Wiltshire
I'm thinking of buying a new Kenevo, that long rear swing arm makes it perfect for de-restricting and going really fast without flipping out from the 1000hp it produces.

Or I could just ride down a hill where gravity has more effect than me or my motor and go at 90kph.

Gravity should be restricted. It's dangerous. God forbid if I ever went fast uphill .

I think for health and safety they’re gonna ban biking down hill in bike parks, only allowed to ride up the trails. Although it makes the jumps very difficult ?

Mad Mark

E*POWAH Elite
Patreon
Nov 2, 2018
Burton on Trent

I’m not missing the point....ifs, buts, and maybe’s....
While I understand your point of view, I don’t agree with it, make it 20 mph and I would be happy, but 15.5 mph is just to slow, you might be happy with that, but I’m not so de-restriction is my choice
As you say I would be in trouble...not you....so let’s agree to differ

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles