Fit 11-Speed MTB cassette to Bafang BFSWX02 rear hub motor?

Manc44

Jun 22, 2021
Manchester
Does anyone know if an 11-Speed MTB cassette (Shimano SLX / M7000) will fit on a Bafang BFSWX02 (G020.500.DC) rear hub, without the chain touching the Bafang motor body when in the lowest gear?

I know an 11-Speed cassette fits on a standard 8/9/10 speed freehub and that is the type of freehub on the Bafang motor - but an 11-Speed MTB cassette is recessed, so the low sprocket ends up further back than the deepest part of the freehub body - in other words the last sprocket sits closer to the spokes than it normally does on an 8/9/10 speed cassette.

Could fitting an 11-Speed MTB cassette be a problem on the Bafang rear hub motor?

Cheers.

Manc44

Jun 22, 2021
Manchester
Please, does anyone know if 11-Speed MTB cassettes fit these freehub bodies - or does the low sprocket end up too close to the side of the hub?

I thought everyone on MTB had gone to 11-Speed single chainring these days?

Someone somewhere must have tried it on one of these Bafang hubs lol

patdam

Jan 17, 2019
france
I can speak only with using for E-MTB, without using original chainrig
with 32 teeth chainrig i could never use more than 8 speed => i use 9 speed with the 15 teeth pinion staggered in first (not used). i use also dual chainrig in front on my city bike.

Cyclurba, le vélo utile

Manc44

Jun 22, 2021
Manchester
I wonder why it would need to be different on these Bafang hubs though.

There's an Andy Kirby video entitled "The Best DIY eBike Conversion Kit!!! | One Year On How Is It Going?" where he's got a 7-Speed cassette on and for a split second at 1m 30s, the camera pans in line with the rear of the cassette and hub, I can clearly tell there's quite a good gap between the cassette and hub body, leading me to believe perhaps an 11-Speed cassette can fit, but I think the bike he shows on that video has a screw on cassette - and that might rest further away from the hub than the newer slide-on cassettes do.

His chain is on the #2 sprocket here but you can see the last sprocket and roughly judge what the gap would be if the chain was on the #1 sprocket:

Chain Clearance on Bafang Freehub Motor.jpg

Standard Shimano freehub bodies on MTB can take 8/9/10/11 speed cassettes, that's the beauty of it compared to road freehubs where you do need a longer freehub on 11-Speed. On MTB they can get away with making the cassette recessed due to the biggest sprocket being so big, the cassette is recessed/dished (not sure what the word is!) to avoid needing a longer freehub.

The problem on a Bafang hub is the side of the hub is parallel, whereas if the wheel just had spokes as per normal, the spokes would angle away from the biggest sprocket.

It would be a pain to have to go back to 9-Speed again because used parts (like an M970 right shifter) are hard to find these days. Bikes are in such high demand and anything like that seems to be getting snapped up as soon as it appears for sale.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles